Classic, When gear mattered.

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 10 Next
come on GUYS You Classic people go get a room . tried of the forums spam
I remember how happy I was when resist gear became useless. That freed up a lot of bag and bank space. You should never have to scour the AH in order to find a piece of gear for raid progress.

Gear mattered because it was terrible, not because it was designed well.
11/06/2017 04:06 PMPosted by Tandem
I remember how happy I was when resist gear became useless. That freed up a lot of bag and bank space. You should never have to scour the AH in order to find a piece of gear for raid progress.

Gear mattered because it was terrible, not because it was designed well.

You didn't love running Mara endlessly trying to get those resistance greens to drop?
11/06/2017 09:17 AMPosted by Wasselin
Uh gear still matters. Why do you think people complained ad naseum about not getting the right legendary this expansion, or about the arcanocrystal?

This made me laugh. "Getting the right legendary"... because in Classic, it was actually legendary to get a legendary!
11/06/2017 03:44 PMPosted by Paeldryth
11/06/2017 02:09 PMPosted by Arkym
that's the point. gear doesn't matter, everybody has it.

So people in 835 epics are doing the same damage as people in 930 epics?

Getting hung up on the color of gear is pretty silly.

oh, I don't really care about raiding. if you play the game just to see your dps go up bit by bit, classic probably wont be for you.
Also looking forward to seeing a character and aspiring to their gear level again. I do remember getting that first world epic drop in Tanaris, was a sight to behold. Also trying to update to Tier 0.5 was always great fun and rewarding.
11/06/2017 04:18 PMPosted by Mcstabbins

This made me laugh. "Getting the right legendary"... because in Classic, it was actually legendary to get a legendary!

I thought the same thing, in classic, if u had hand of rag or thunderfury you were a legend. people don't understand how big of a deal gear was. so much more meaningful.
11/06/2017 09:10 AMPosted by Dorondir
Lionheart Helm is a level 58 BoE epic plate helm and best-in-slot for Fury Warriors literally the entirety of Vanilla.

It's gonna be great.

That was the one piece that I never got. I had all of the BiS gear that could be purchased or farmed solo, save that piece. I simply decided that 1% crit wasn't worth 1000g. That's what the helm was going for on my server.

My end game was pretty much farming gold every day to buy stuff for my warrior.
11/06/2017 04:27 PMPosted by Arkym
11/06/2017 04:18 PMPosted by Mcstabbins

I thought the same thing, in classic, if u had hand of rag or thunderfury you were a legend. people don't understand how big of a deal gear was. so much more meaningful.

It means they won the double RNG roll of bindings/eye actually dropping and also being the person in the guild picked to get It?

I thought the forums didn't like RNG legendaries.
I'm betting that if they don't go "personal loot", they'll implement the modern NBG system for drops in dungeons and what not. Whether they'll limit it to class type, I dunno (i.e. Pally's can't roll on cloth). But, other wise, "Whoo Hoo, nobody group with Tom, he's a Ninja Looter!"
11/06/2017 09:06 AMPosted by Arkym
Am I the only person that enjoyed when gear mattered?

No, you are not alone. I miss the days when you got a new green weapon and it made you feel more powerful because mobs would die a little faster or you would have more health left after you downed a mob. I miss when things mattered.
11/06/2017 09:06 AMPosted by Arkym
Am I the only person that enjoyed when gear mattered? remember when getting that epic drop made a huge impact on your character? we could actually swap gear around to suit different specs (crit build or high mana build). today is just the same cookie cutter gear and they turn the item level up every few months. boring. there are thousands of games out there where gear doesn't matter and its only cosmetic. I hate that WOW just became another game like that.

So happy for vanilla to come back. thanks blizz
I'm having real difficulty understanding how you think that gear does not matter today.

There is a big difference between someone who itemizes appropriately and tries to hone in on their correct stat balance, combination of legendary items, working on building out their weapon, and people who don't.

I was around in classic too.

I played a Mage main, and I did bleeding edge raiding through Naxx40 with my guild back then. And sure, gear mattered then too. There wasn't any way to have a coherent looking set unless you collected tier. I actually ran a PvP mage character and my PvE raid mage separately to collect PvP gear and not have to pay for spec swaps... until that was that my raiding mage was so well geared (I had nearly complete T3) that it didn't matter and I was PoM Pyroblasting almost everything one shot kills.

I get the nostalgia. I had a great time with classic.

But to say that gear doesn't matter today is just false.
11/06/2017 09:52 AMPosted by Dosaku
I remember when Doomsaw dropped for my ret, one of the first on server... the warrior in party was P1SSED!!!

That is part of the problem some of you need to feel like special snowflakes to play the game. It’s not about what you have no one cares it’s about individual adventures, one of the reasons WoW has evolved past this petty nonsense.
11/06/2017 05:19 PMPosted by Synthor
11/06/2017 09:52 AMPosted by Dosaku
I remember when Doomsaw dropped for my ret, one of the first on server... the warrior in party was P1SSED!!!

That is part of the problem some of you need to feel like special snowflakes to play the game. It’s not about what you have no one cares it’s about individual adventures, one of the reasons WoW has evolved past this petty nonsense.

If I wanted to have an individual adventure I would read a book.
If by mattered you mean fewer people had purple sure I guess, other than that no more so than today.
11/06/2017 05:16 PMPosted by Lorsaire
I'm having real difficulty understanding how you think that gear does not matter today.

It's a hyperbole, what most people really mean is that gear doesn't matter as much today.

Most people say that gear doesn't matter today because everyone has it, everyone is close in ilevel to everyone else, therefore we see its value and importance diminished.

The idea behind gear is to progress on further content wearing it. Well, with so many catch up mechanics in place and so many paths and routes to acquire gear, unless you're a Mythic Raider... gear really doesn't matter anymore because you can pull off doing anything with any gear you're spoonfed from things as easily as World Quests.

This also makes the importance of gear being diminished. As a result, gear today becomes more of a nuisance to acquire than an actual desire for enjoyment to obtain.
11/06/2017 05:23 PMPosted by Perky
11/06/2017 05:16 PMPosted by Lorsaire

It's a hyperbole, what most people really mean is that gear doesn't matter as much today.

Most people say that gear doesn't matter today because everyone has it, everyone is close in ilevel to everyone else, therefore we see its value and importance diminished.

The idea behind gear is to progress on further content wearing it. Well, with so many catch up mechanics in place and so many paths and routes to acquire gear, unless you're a Mythic Raider... gear really doesn't matter anymore because you can pull off doing anything with any gear you're spoonfed from things as easily as World Quests.

This also makes the importance of gear being diminished. As a result, gear today becomes more of a nuisance to acquire than an actual desire for enjoyment to obtain.

This is largely due to catch up mechanics.

The catch up mechanics were pretty needed. I don't know about you, but if I'm in Naxx gear, I really don't like the idea of trying to run people through Molten Core, ETC ETC, step by step raid progression because they just don't have the DPS for the next raid up.

Oh also all of the attunements I'll need to help them out do as well.
11/06/2017 09:35 AMPosted by Waifupally
11/06/2017 09:28 AMPosted by Atrosity
Don’t forget about killing a 40 man raid boss and only three pieces of gear dropping.

its almost like the experience was about playing with tons of other people instead of a loot pinata.....

Oh yeah, the play experience was so much about just playing with other people and not about loot that the DKP system was NOT developed as a means of distributing loot and guilds totally didn't fall apart when officers conspired to keep loot for themselves and not distribute it to other players. Nope. Just about the camaraderie of playing the game.
11/06/2017 05:32 PMPosted by Hanekaeri
Oh yeah, the play experience was so much about just playing with other people and not about loot that the DKP system was NOT developed as a means of distributing loot and guilds totally didn't fall apart when officers conspired to keep loot for themselves and not distribute it to other players. Nope. Just about the camaraderie of playing the game.

You act as if loot problems are no longer a problem in today's game.

Loot will always be a problem. But the fact that regardless of the loot problems that negatively impacted players' experiences, it didn't force them to quit. It didn't stop this game from blossoming into what it is.

And it's all coming back =)