WoW for Xbox and PS4!!

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
WoW is toxic enough already, no need to add the horrid 12 year olds that infest the online console community.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Not to mention that there are a lot of WoW players who would not even like the idea of the port happening, who have an inflated view that they're somehow better at games, or that they are "mature" because they play PC only. Rather than console, or both.

That level of loser'ish elitism makes people not even wanna talk about it anymore, because to bring it up with Blizzard means that Blizzard would have to wade through fields of discouraging comments from PC basement dwellers just to see the actual discussions.

With that in mind, going to console would likely be getting new and returning players getting scrutinized throughout he game who may or may not play on console or PC.

Sorry to say it like this, but the players themselves are a big reason this would not work out as well as we could hope.

You can't complain about the way people act and turn around and call people losers and basement dwellers lol.

Why lie about it? Besides, it's relative.

Casuals don't care what platform anyone plays on, someone has gotta be a loser to think they are on high ground for the way they waste their time all day.

It's like watching smokers and vape users argue over who is making healthier drug choices.
Elder Scrolls did it and it's amazingly popular. They would just have to come up with a way similar to what ESO did for skills. You can use about 10 different skills with a Xbox controller. Most of us only use like 4-5 on regular basis.

I see it happening in the future.
10/20/2017 05:50 AMPosted by Bravurâ
10/20/2017 04:44 AMPosted by Ragingpowers
Any possibility that this could happen? It would increase WoW population tremendously!! I mean diablo did it why can't WoW
no.

!@#$ no.

People like you, I wish would just leave the gaming community. If they made wow cross platform it would not hinder your game play what so ever. It would bring in new players as well as older ones that would prefer to play sitting on their couch. All these remarks are doing is holding us back. You want WoW to stay the same forever? I don't.
10/20/2017 04:57 AMPosted by Pointyends
Any possibility that this could happen? It would increase WoW population tremendously!! I mean diablo did it why can't WoW

It wold increase the population yes, but it would drop the already low aggregate IQ stupendously.

Stupid usually points out stupid!
Despite the slight necro, they could do it, but it would take a good bit of overhaul to a lot of the games systems. The way some skills such as AOE targetting might need to be changed to be more manageable with a controller. Not to mention the game UI itself and how it's able to be used would also need some major retooling.

Also I'm pretty sure the console crowd/PC crowd wouldn't be allowed to mix just due to these and other issues.

So even though, it's possible it's prolly not gonna happen anytime soon. But then again I though classic servers weren't gonna be a thing and I was wrong on that so we'll have to see.
Supporters of xbox and ps4 for WoW =Stupid says is as stupid is. You can not cure STUPID.
10/23/2017 09:47 AMPosted by Gorgonzola
WoW is toxic enough already, no need to add the horrid 12 year olds that infest the online console community.

It is like everyone forgets that the majority of WoW players started at 12 or younger when Vanilla first came out.
11/21/2017 10:59 PMPosted by Orphani
It is like everyone forgets that the majority of WoW players started at 12 or younger when Vanilla first came out.

Most of the people I bump into in game are around the 30 to 50 age range.

I was 26 when Vanilla came out.
10/23/2017 09:56 AMPosted by Delinanna
Elder Scrolls did it and it's amazingly popular. They would just have to come up with a way similar to what ESO did for skills. You can use about 10 different skills with a Xbox controller. Most of us only use like 4-5 on regular basis.

I see it happening in the future.

No, that isn't the limitation.

Elder scrolls did it because they MADE it for the Xbox One and PS4, while making it for the computer. So it was MADE to work on those consoles, while basically scaling up in graphic quality if you had a computer that could do that.

Wow isn't made that way; Each expansion RAISES the requirements of the game. It is totally unoptimized. The varied textures of players are not made with consoles in mind, etc.
The answer to this problem is very simple and I don't know why anyone hasn't mentioned or done it yet.

Sony etc simply need to make the consoles have the ability to attach a key board and mouse.

There problem solved.

How easy would it be for them to do this? Answer very easy. In-fact I have wondered for many years why they haven't added this option. I use keyboard and mouse, but there are many games I would love to play on Playstation etc. But can't, because I don't like using a console controller.

I would love to be able to connect my keyboard and mouse to my Playstation 4 and play WOW.
Also if WOW was to work with Playstation to get a keyboard and mouse attachment on their consoles. I am sure this could be done. And both companies would make a fortune in revenue :)
10/20/2017 04:57 AMPosted by Pointyends
It wold increase the population yes, but it would drop the already low aggregate IQ stupendously.

you realize how this makes you sound right
I've said before in another thread like this and I'll paraphrase myself here.

There are more considerations than just "oh run it in the console".

To do so they would need to recompile the client engine and port it specifically to the PS4 and Xbone hardware.

Yes yes Xbox one uses Win10 as its base, you say. A stripped down version of the OS. There are no guarantees that the WoW client would run with existing libraries.
Any 3rd party libraries Blizz licensed for the engine would also need to be recompiled as well, and they have no control over those. This is an issue I run in to in my job as a software engineer doing hardware integration.

Finally, Xbox one is a managed system, that is under control of the garbage collector to manage memory. Games, I suspect, are built using C# or some other flavor of .NET. WoW is unmanaged code written in C++, if I recall correctly. It runs on PC because the unmanaged libraries, like Win32.dll though that's just an example, are still present. Again, XBox One is stripped down. Unmanaged code doesn't play nice with a pure managed system.

Now all of that is for XBox. PS4 is s whole other beast.

With all those considerations it's probably not worth the effort to port.
i dont see why not. you dont even need to prune, since you can hook a keyboard and mouse up to the USB slots on console easy. thats how I played ff14 on PS4.
I once tried GW2 via Steam machine. It wasn't very good.
no one going to bring up the fact that this is a necro?
I've said before in another thread like this and I'll paraphrase myself here.

There are more considerations than just "oh run it in the console".

To do so they would need to recompile the client engine and port it specifically to the PS4 and Xbone hardware.

Yes yes Xbox one uses Win10 as its base, you say. A stripped down version of the OS. There are no guarantees that the WoW client would run with existing libraries.
Any 3rd party libraries Blizz licensed for the engine would also need to be recompiled as well, and they have no control over those. This is an issue I run in to in my job as a software engineer doing hardware integration.

Finally, Xbox one is a managed system, that is under control of the garbage collector to manage memory. Games, I suspect, are built using C# or some other flavor of .NET. WoW is unmanaged code written in C++, if I recall correctly. It runs on PC because the unmanaged libraries, like Win32.dll though that's just an example, are still present. Again, XBox One is stripped down. Unmanaged code doesn't play nice with a pure managed system.

Now all of that is for XBox. PS4 is s whole other beast.

With all those considerations it's probably not worth the effort to port.

Im also going to spring board off this a little bit.

So, both Xbox and Playstation have monthly subscriptions to even play most online games. Would blizzard/Microsoft/Sony keep those charges in place? More money = more profit. I wouldn't play on console if I was paying $30 for a $14.99 game on PC.

because Diablo has 4 buttons
For people pointing FFXIV as an example...

Yes you can play with a controller in FF, but the game has a slower global cooldown than WoW to accomodate those playing with a controller. You just can't bind as many skills on a 14-button controllers than you can on a 101-key model M keyboard, so players with a controller have several "pages" they put skills on, and they need to change page at times to reach another skill. So they need to slow down combat a little.

This isn't too noticeable if you play a spell caster or a healer because most of your skills have a cast bar so you're more used to waiting, but for the tanks and the melee classes it is very noticeable and can be very off-putting for a WoW player, especially early in the game when you have very few off-global cooldown skills to throw between cycles.

I praise FFXIV for a lot of things, but I think WoW nails combat and raiding better than FF because of the faster global cooldown.