Killed in a NON PVP Realm by opposing faction

General Discussion
I am logged in a Horde...but I have Allied characters as well...I was playing one of my "Low Level" Allied characters in Azuna during a Legion Attack...

I was doing this to "Build Up" my character a little faster.

I was in a group killing a legion character, and NOT targeting the opposing faction players...BUT I noticed MOST of all the Horde players had their PVP turned "ON" making their name plates RED.

This particular Realm is "NON PVP"....After the group KILLED the legion character. I got killed by the Horde players.

Why was that necessary to kill me, I targeted no one.
10/08/2017 10:19 PMPosted by Traecelle

Why did George Mallory climb Everest?

Because it's there.
Did you join a group? If so must of been a pvp realm. Other than that, I don't think anything else would flag you.
Back in Mop i used to log in on my goblin and go into the alliance shrine

Needless to say i ended up splat .........i didn't target anyone there either :(
You likely were taken to a PvP realm, or someone in your group had PvP enabled.
I play on a normal realm with PvP turned off, but using the group finder tool sometimes puts me in a position where I'm staving off a wave of Horde players. You can't assume that people are going to leave you alone even if you don't attack them. Just leave it be and use more caution while grouping with others in the future.
I've accidentally killed lowbies in invasions because of thrash cleave:(

I didn't mean to, I swear!
10/08/2017 10:47 PMPosted by Farora

I ,however, don't use thrash when lowbies are nearby.

Intentional or 'accidental'?!?!?! You decide :P

Nonsense, you're a bear druid. You do it on purpose.
You can be honest with me, I do it too.
If you have a Follower with AOE attacks, they can hit flagged players while you aren't flagged but it can cause you to become flagged and they can now attack you.
you're a DK, why don't you just kill them back?

I've done it on purpose.
If you joined a group that was on a PvP realm and you never want to do that again, get World Quest Group Finder. One of the options blocks out any groups on PvP realms. Works like a charm!
10/08/2017 10:22 PMPosted by Regg

Why did George Mallory climb Everest?

Because it's there.

Georgie Boy's attempts to climb Everest did not end well for him, so "because it's there" isn't necessarily a good reason for trying something.
This particular Realm is "NON PVP"

No such thing in WoW. PvP also happens on Normal realms.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't like my post? Downvote m...wait...they did what?
10/08/2017 10:25 PMPosted by Wariya
Back in Mop i used to log in on my goblin and go into the alliance shrine

Needless to say i ended up splat .........i didn't target anyone there either :(

ALLLLLL THE TIIIMMMEEEEE

at least now, when i zone into new dalaran, and i turn right to walk into the horde portal area i just get ported out instead of murdered on sight. quite a few times i was like "WHAAAAAAA....oh, im not on my hordie"

During Cata I did the dailies flagged on a normal server, sometimes I could get some pvp action - often got splatted but it was still fun. One time a belf hunter and I were smacking down the same elite and she attacked me - I thought. She got flagged, and by the time I realized it had been an accident on her part she was pretty much done for. As a player I always felt bad about that one.

Glad they set it up so you have to activate pvp deliberately before you can attack an enemy player, less likely stuff like mis-targeting or aoe will flag you now.
10/09/2017 02:37 AMPosted by Thallia
If you joined a group that was on a PvP realm and you never want to do that again, get World Quest Group Finder. One of the options blocks out any groups on PvP realms. Works like a charm!

I may have to look up this addon. Can't stand PvP and usually it's just for M+ that I'm queuing so I can stay far in the air until ready or in the dungeon itself but that still may come in handy. Thanks!
You're a DK. If they were flagged and you accidentally hit them with any kind of AoE, it could have flagged you as well.

Right? Sometimes its like they just throw themselves onto my sword.
There is no such thing as a non pvp realm, pvp can and does happen on all realms. The only difference is that on normal servers you get to choose when and where it happens. Unless you were moved to a pvp server, because people fail at situational and environmental awareness, you must willingly choose to flag now. The game will not let you attack or heal anyone flagged on a normal server while the toggle is turned off.