Monthly Warlock/Xelnath Reminder

General Discussion
Reminder of Blizzard's attempts to destroy Warlock fun, and a former employee's legacy, purely out of spite.

For those of you who don't know, Xelnath was the Blizzard dev behind the Cataclysm Warlock overhaul (breaking the 3 specs down and giving them separate resource systems and whatnot). He was also the one who finally brought us the amazing green fire quest in MoP (one of the absolute best quests in the whole game).

After tweeting some things he shouldn't have about his dissatisfaction with the direction Warlocks were taking in WoD development, he was fired from Blizzard. But it seems that removing him from their company wasn't enough; no, they needed to destroy his legacy as well.

Blizzard didn't start small - they went right for the jugular. "NEW HERO CLASS ANNOUNCED: DEMON HUNTER!" Warlocks around Azeroth cried tears of felfire as they realized their beloved Metamorphosis, like baseline-Death-Coil before, was being ripped from their spellbooks and given to the new Hero class.

Blizzard wasn't finished just yet. Xelnath's individual resource system taunted them still. It had to go. Destruction class fantasy has nothing to do with chaotic fire - why would Warlocks want a resource like Burning Embers where they slowly begin to glow with demonic fire as Fel magic courses through their veins?

Blizzard was proud. They had undone years of Xelnath's work. They looked down on the smoldering corpse of the Warlock and smiled with glee and satisfaction

But they couldn't be content yet. One final part of Xelnath's legacy remained: green fire. But...how to remove something so iconic from the game? Something that had been requested for so many years, and had received so much praise when it was finally implemented. The developers could almost feel the earth quake as millions of cheeto-dusted fingers began pounding their keyboards in fury. They realized they could never remove it - Xelnath's legacy would live on. Xelnath had won.

...Or had he?

As Legion development marched on, a brilliant young intern saw an opportunity to take the Warlock class down another peg, to further destroy Xelnath's legacy, and to succeed where his hate-filled peers had failed. He alone understood what needed to be done. He alone saw that while green fire could never be removed...it could be diluted.

And so the final nails were driven into Xelnath's old office chair chained in the basement; Blizzard gave Vengeance Demon Hunters access to the green fire along with a plethora of brand new spell effects utilizing the fel magic.

There was only one thing left to do.

As Blizzard designed the beautiful new casting animations for their ranged spellcasters, they made sure to omit the Warlock spells from fully utilizing these new effects IF they were imbued with Kanrethad's fel energy. Warlocks who forsook Xelnath's memory, bent the knee to Blizzard, and reclaimed their classic red fire would be rewarded with animations and effects most awesome. Those who stayed true to Xelnath's vision would be forever scorned - left to wrestle with broken animations and bugged spell effects for all eternity...

And now, Blizzard is holding off on giving Warlocks any new spell animation updates. It's likely we won't see anything until the patch after 7.3, if ever.
But what about shamans? They barely receive any love, if at all.
This is some tinfoil hat !@#$ right here. But props for the dramatic tension.
09/21/2017 12:20 AMPosted by Roostercat

It's because no one cares about Shaman.
Sometimes, the greatest gift of love is not screwing you over.
09/21/2017 12:22 AMPosted by Zeldei

Ye best start believin in tin foil hat stories, Miss Turner. Yer in one.
What i hope is that warlocks just get a big helping hand next expansion...
maybe they delayed the animations for warlocks because another revamp ( like every expansion ) will change the specs spells...
09/21/2017 12:23 AMPosted by Fairyland
Sometimes, the greatest gift of love is not screwing you over.

Elemental shamans have been screwed over every patch until 7.3 lol. This has to be the worst xpac to play ele to date. I'm still not to sure which maelstrom finisher i'm suppose to be using, assuming that I should even cast either.
R.I.P Beloved Warlocks of old. You'll forever be in our hearts
09/21/2017 12:22 AMPosted by Zeldei

Xelnath defended the designs, glyph choices and buffs for all Warlock specs during Mists.
While openly against the cataclysm (spell) concept and wanted certain changes made.
And locks got a fairly epic quest line for green fire and sexy title.

Then words were said, and Xelnath was gone.

That all is known. Outside of him doing the same thing at Riot, and suddenly was gone from there as well.

Rumor has it he maybe at Cryptic Studios working on WStar now beefing up Engineer class.

But as well it is widely known after Xelnath was gone, warlock as a whole began to go through drastic sudden changes. More so with Demo. Wasn't even a month after Xelnath was gone, we got the coined phrase "We rather you not play Demo." from lead Developers.

So yeah, people are going to try to connect everything. No matter if it is true or not, they are still trying to figure out how to cope with the massive overhaul and devs telling them to not play a class / spec cause <reasons>.
The overhaul was in MoP
Xelnath has been gone for 5 years, its time to let go. As much as I loved MOP Warlock blizzard was never going to leave the class like that for years, they never do with any class. because reasons.
Ahh a topic near and dear to my Void-twisted heart.

Ages ago, there was a HuGe patch. Every class (not spec, that's how long ago this was) got across the board buffs, with minor tweaks to some outliers. Essentially a BIG power boost for every class.

Except one.

Three guesses and the first two don't count.

Warlocks got......are you ready? Drum roll please.....

A new * ICON * for Death Coil.

Wait, it gets better.

Death Knights were OP for three expansions. But any time a Warlock seems OP (ie Fel Guard, SoC), that gets hotfixed within HOURS.

Wait, it gets better.

Can you imagine the response if Blizzard said, "We'd prefer you didn't play Ret / Arms / Fire / Survival (although they kinda did)"?

Someone wiser than me espoused the theory that one, or more, of the WoW Devs got ROFLPWND by a Warlock in arenas, and have been taking out their angst on the class ever since.
I find affliction fun.

Until I'm forced to sit there casting drain life for 30 seconds because I get no soulshard procs.
09/21/2017 01:47 AMPosted by Bamboozer
Xelnath has been gone for 5 years, its time to let go. As much as I loved MOP Warlock blizzard was never going to leave the class like that for years, they never do with any class. because reasons.

It's good to have a reminder from time to time of what a great advocate for your class can be. Xelnath was one of them and had the decency to stand up to the careerist corporate bean-counters and spineless !@#-suckers.
Blizzard may have just said: "We'd rather you not play Warlocks" because that's how it feels.

Not go all "my problems are worse than your class's!" but Warlocks are the only class that completely get gutted EVERY expansion to the point where you have to completely relearn your class. Sometimes even DURING the expansion.

And I will never let this go: Warlocks posted on the Legion beta forums multiple times, over a dozen threads about why the class wasn't working correctly - and all threads were ignored by Blizzard.

Warlocks should have permanent demon enslaving by now. Warlocks should still have Metamorph (it makes sense lorewise) Warlocks should be able to have more than just a few demon skins by now. Warlocks should have more to do with soulshards like we used to. And more curses.

We're a joke of a class at this point.
I member warlocks
While I think Xelnath did a fabulous job on warlocks in MoP and I think every class needs an advocate like him, the OP is full of misinformation. The revamp was in MoP, not Cata, Xelnath was let go shortly into that expansion, and they'd already started ruining the class in WoD prior to anything regarding DH (I would bet they hadn't even decided they were doing DH during the WoD beta, so it had nothing to do with that. You'll note the "don't play demo" comment didn't come until the leadup to 6.2).

Basically, while the sentiment might have some points, you come across as disingenuous at best, downright dishonest at worst, if you post a thread like this with so much misinformation. You're not going to gain support with lies.
The biggest nail was that they removed execute, Warlock had ranged execute, shadow burn spam on those pesky healers, also hunter had their signature kill shot execute removed, the whole reason I even bothered to play warlock and hunter in WoD was because how cool it was to just seal the deal with those pally and warrior tanks that just refuse to die at 3% hp no matter what. Mage had their blazing speed and ice floe removed, not even before legion, DURING legion they removed one of my favourite and most used spell. Now everyone and their mentally retarded twin can play the 3 button rotation on an iPad.
So do you keep this post saved in a note pad somewhere?

Cause I swear I've read most of this verbatim before.