Void Elves are not High Elves...

Story Forum
Prev 1 7 8 9 17 Next
Still waiting on the updates from red shirt guy i will link here when he uploads it.
11/05/2017 03:02 PMPosted by Yagarr
Wut if, some Void Elves wind up causing damage within Silvermoon and that leads to Theron coming down hard on them?

Like they accidentally release a voidspawn into the city and get people killed? Or some of them go mad and wind up attacking others? Theron may give them an ultimatum - Knock it off or Leave

But if that is the case "Why would the alliance welcome them?" after am incident like that... or why at all because something like that is predictable. (thats the sad thing, elf lore is so overdone)

Throught out the history of Azeroth, the elves have been the most addictive personality race out there, they can't live a day with a magical source of energy and to support a civilisation that power source is immensly powerful and dangerous.

But sure Alleria says she has it under control, so sure let her either build a giant Void Well or trap an Void God and drain it for power. Nothing will go wrong.

Not like they will nearly blew up the world, or attract a powerful army seeking to steal that power, or go power mad and use it to take over the world while their people revert to wretches, or let a powerful entity loose and threaten the whole world.

5 times they made that mistake (Well of Eternity 1 & 2, Sunwell 1 & 2, Nightwell)... plus their misuse and failure to protect the Emerald Dream, 3 Pillars, the Scythe of Elune and countless powerful artifacts.

Not again, we can't trust elves... stop void elves before they start, end it NOW!
11/05/2017 06:15 AMPosted by Falrinn
I think High Elves could happen down the road, but I wouldn't bet on it in the near-ish future as they'll probably want to focus on non-Elf allied races for awhile.

High Elves will never happen. This is confirmation that it will never happen.
11/06/2017 12:24 AMPosted by Azsharin
I think High Elves could happen down the road, but I wouldn't bet on it in the near-ish future as they'll probably want to focus on non-Elf allied races for awhile.

No actually this isn't at all confirmation that it will never get High Elves lmao
I'd kill for Aethas to be the secondary leader of the Void Elves.
The Void Elves aren't high elves, they're blood elves that were kicked out of Silvermoon and decided to rejoin the Alliance, as well.

So, in other words, they are high elves?

I mean, what's more important here? Fel exposure or political affiliation?

As far as I am concerned, being Alliance makes them high elves.
11/06/2017 12:24 AMPosted by Azsharin

If Void Elves were High Elves, maybe you are right.

But they aren't.

Anyway, even if they were, with allied races, any race is possible.
11/06/2017 01:31 AMPosted by Gärithos
As far as I am concerned, being Alliance makes them high elves.

They're whatever adjective they identify as.

Don't mis-adjective them!
There was a video floating around where apparently Ion answers someone's question about High Elves. Seems the general consensus is that High Elves don't really have their own culture, but have assimilated into other cultures instead, which is something of a detriment to adding them as a playable race/allied race, since they want them all to have fairly unique cultures.

To that I would honestly say, just give us Dalaran High Elves.

Let's be honest, High Elves have been living in Dalaran for thousands of years. Entire generations have been born and raised there. The nigh obsession people like Aethas and the Sunreavers have with Dalaran, calling it their home, makes it plain that there is some kind of strong connection some High Elves have to Dalaran.

I think exploring that would give us a unique culture that would warrant the addition of the race as an Allied Race.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the High Elves who have lived in Dalaran are very different in their views of the world and other races from those who live in Quel'Thalas. It seems to me that it would have been great to expand upon this and at the same time give us a better idea of the cultures within Dalaran at the same time.

Personally, I'd approve of Dalaran High Elves having a culture that emphasizes Education and Experience in the pursuit of Knowledge and Wisdom. Scholars and Academics, in other words. While some might argue these aren't the sort who'd really be found in a fight, I can't help but disagree. Such figures can acquire skills and power in the search for knowledge that can most definitely be used in a fight. If a High Elf decides to become a Hunter to study the various beasts of the world, are they any less effective of a Hunter? Or a High Elf warrior studying the martial history and practices of Azeroth; would they be any less of a Warrior?

Personally I find it a lot more palatable than Void Elves, which delve too deeply into the thematics of Shadow Priests.
11/06/2017 11:37 AMPosted by Alurna
There was a video floating around where apparently Ion answers someone's question about High Elves. Seems the general consensus is that High Elves don't really have their own culture, but have assimilated into other cultures instead, which is something of a detriment to adding them as a playable race/allied race, since they want them all to have fairly unique cultures.

Let's be honest, High Elves have been living in Dalaran for thousands of years. Entire generations have been born and raised there. The nigh obsession people like Aethas and the Sunreavers have with Dalaran, calling it their home, makes it plain that there is some kind of strong connection some High Elves have to Dalaran.

I think exploring that would give us a unique culture that would warrant the addition of the race as an Allied Race.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the High Elves who have lived in Dalaran are very different in their views of the world and other races from those who live in Quel'Thalas. It seems to me that it would have been great to expand upon this and at the same time give us a better idea of the cultures within Dalaran at the same time.

Personally, I'd approve of Dalaran High Elves having a culture that emphasizes Education and Experience in the pursuit of Knowledge and Wisdom. Scholars and Academics, in other words. While some might argue these aren't the sort who'd really be found in a fight, I can't help but disagree. Such figures can acquire skills and power in the search for knowledge that can most definitely be used in a fight. If a High Elf decides to become a Hunter to study the various beasts of the world, are they any less effective of a Hunter? Or a High Elf warrior studying the martial history and practices of Azeroth; would they be any less of a Warrior?

Personally I find it a lot more palatable than Void Elves, which delve too deeply into the thematics of Shadow Priests.

They don't have their own culture? That's the reasoning?

But they can just make up Void Elves out of nowhere?

I mean, look... even if that is correct (the culture thing), that doesn't mean Blizzard couldn't have come up with something. I was hoping they would've found some High Elves out in Northern Lordaeron, or would have delved deeper into the Silver Covenant and their story.

The Void Elves just sound like a class. Sorry, but they do. I will say this over and over again and I'm sure people will tire of it, but they don't sound like a race at all. Again I will say: A Void Elf Monk? REALLY? A Void Elf Mage? Why would they be dipping into the Void? Warlock? And what about a Warrior, do they usually go after a magical power?

I don't get it I guess. Only classes that make sense with it are (Shadow) Priests and Death Knights.

I´m nor sure if it´s the same video, but something along those lines was linked in one thread these past couple of days -Jesse A.K.A. Red Shirt Guy was the one making the questions-.

However was anwering said he believed High Elves were a low probablility indeed cause they´re so integrated to other cultures they don´t even have one of their own now -well the thing is their culture is more or less the Belf culture sans one or two disagreements; I suppose devs consider this insufficient to make a separate disctinction between the two-

Personally I think this just happens cause it´s just an additional way to get more fancy and influential positions politically and professionally wise -so to say while Aethas in Dalaran once upon a time was "one important member of the Council of the Six" even with his young age and short experience; in Silvermoon he´s demoted to work under Rommath´s orders like any other Magister. His curriculum vitae, while good enough in Dalaran to get an influential position, was apparently not good enough to get the same equivalence on Silvermoon -more experimented and influential Magisters there that probably made harder for him to fulfill his ambitions-.

In short: in Dalaran is easier for them to apply to more distinguished positions -especially considering they still have some sort of positive ties with Modera; an influential figure on her own inside Dalaran- than in Silvermoon, in which they have to compete with established and influential mage figures like Rommath or Astalor -that don´t even like them by proxy of perceiving them as Kirin Tor lapdogs-.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the High Elves who have lived in Dalaran are very different in their views of the world and other races from those who live in Quel'Thalas.

Uhh they act exactly the same. The fact Quel´Thalas´s Magisters are not shown 24/7 doesn´t mean they aren´t scholars on their own; it´s just an unfortunate consequence of the lazy writting of Blizz dedicated exclusively to the Kirin Tor for the lols. Heck the Magisters DO have a canon background on pursuing knowledge (we could say even the application of the aforementioned theory; if not let´s look at examples like the whole founding of the Blood Knights -made thanks to extensive studies made by both Rommath and Astalor-, the whole appropiation and adequacy of the Blood Golem technnology for their own military means, the good ol´ Ban´dinoriel, and so on)

If a High Elf decides to become a Hunter to study the various beasts of the world, are they any less effective of a Hunter? Or a High Elf warrior studying the martial history and practices of Azeroth; would they be any less of a Warrior?

Who says the current hunters and warriors of ALL races don´t do this -in their own way ofc-?
11/06/2017 12:34 PMPosted by Pryde
The Void Elves just sound like a class. Sorry, but they do. I will say this over and over again and I'm sure people will tire of it, but they don't sound like a race at all. Again I will say: A Void Elf Monk? REALLY? A Void Elf Mage? Why would they be dipping into the Void? Warlock? And what about a Warrior, do they usually go after a magical power?

That's like saying any Lightforged Draenei is just a Paladin.
Uhh they act exactly the same. The fact Quel´Thalas´s Magisters are not shown 24/7 doesn´t mean they aren´t scholars on their own; it´s just an unfortunate consequence of the lazy writting of Blizz dedicated exclusively to the Kirin Tor for the lols. Heck the Magisters DO have a canon background on pursuing knowledge (we could say even the application of the aforementioned theory; if not let´s look at examples like the whole founding of the Blood Knights -made thanks to extensive studies made by both Rommath and Astalor-, the whole appropiation and adequacy of the Blood Golem technnology for their own military means, the good ol´ Ban´dinoriel, and so on)

The difference being the Magisters use knowledge as a means to an end, the end being power.
The Dalaran High Elves use power as a means to an end, the end being Knowledge.

Yea every possible reason to not add High Elves has been contradicted by their willingness to add Void Elves. If the issue is population, I can guarantee there are more High Elves than there are this "elite group" of Void Elves.

If the issue is culture I can guarantee the High Elves of Dalaran have a much more established and rich background than Void Elves.

If the issue is presence or "contribution" High Elves have been in almost every expansion. BC, WotL, Cata, Legion all had High Elf presence. MoP and WoD being the only 2 to not.

Again, if they are willing to add Void Elves, who score lower on every aspect of "why they should be added" then High Elves should be a given.
High Elves were in MoP, capturing Blood Elves and then fighting Blood Elves on the IoT.

Veressa is the one that sends you to kill a bunch of random NPCs, after all!
11/06/2017 01:23 PMPosted by Alurna
The difference being the Magisters use knowledge as a means to an end, the end being power.

Source?

So far, we don´t even proper High elf mage figures, just a bunch of angry ex-Farstriders and a priest

Btw, the end being Knowledge for what, the lols?

Any knowledge that cannot be used to A) propell other types of research to create useful applications or to B) validate or deny basic principles that afterwards may be useful for the type of research explained in point A is useless

I'm not sure the ones in Dalaran now are the ones who have been living there for thousands of years.

You see, during the third war all the High Elves in Dalaran were rounded up and thrown into the Violet Hold, with plans to be executed the next day. Developers have flat out said that Grand Marshal Garithos did not draw a distinction between the Blood Elves that Kael'thas led and the High Elves that lived in Dalaran. They escaped via portals to Outlands. A place crawling with fel energy. Afterwards the only way they could have returned would have been to use the existing fel energy to create a portal, taking fel energy into themselves. Or waiting until the dark portal opened 6 or so years later.

Basically, any High Elf that was a Dalaran native before the third war would possess either green eyes or a shallow grave.

11/06/2017 01:23 PMPosted by Alurna

Not that your idea of High elves whose only defining characteristic is that they're blood elves but more virtuous isn't nice. It's just impossible in the current lore.

So far, we don´t even proper High elf mage figures, just a bunch of angry ex-Farstriders and a priest.

That's not true, Sorin Magehand was obviously a Silver Covenant mage. You know, the guy feeding helpless civilians to sharks in the Underbelly. Although... he is dead now.
11/05/2017 09:12 AMPosted by Yagarr
I would have preferred if they were High Elves lost in the explosion of Draenor and Locus-Walker brought Alleria to them.

This was what i thought they were gonna be, cuz it makes so much more sense than anything else. The Void elves being just kicked out Blood elves makes absolutely no sense.
11/06/2017 02:20 PMPosted by Arielangel
Source?

There is none, I was speaking hypothetically about what Blizzard COULD do.

11/06/2017 02:20 PMPosted by Arielangel
Btw, the end being Knowledge for what, the lols?

Any knowledge that cannot be used to A) propell other types of research to create useful applications or to B) validate or deny basic principles that afterwards may be useful for the type of research explained in point A is useless

Knowledge for the sake of knowledge. The idea here is that, culturally the High Elves of Dalaran strive to always learn, as a means of making themselves better individually, and as a society. I feel like this could have meshed well given it was the High Elves who taught humans magic originally, and I could see the Elves in Dalaran largely being teachers of magic.

Imagine some elderly High Elf leaning on a cane who is their leader. The person who taught the likes of Antonidus, taught Khadgar before he went to Medhiv, taught Kael'thas the basics of magic, taught Kel'thuzad, taught Jaina before she became Antonidus' apprentice, etc...

Maybe its just me, but I kind of find that appealing, that these High Elves of Dalaran have this culture revolving around the pursuit of Knowledge, and that it is what drew them there to begin with, and led to the rise of every great human mage in modern history. Add in something akin to a healthy rivalry with the Magistry back in Quel'Thalas since these elves first came to Dalaran, and you have what you need to make something really interesting.

At least, to me.
11/06/2017 02:15 PMPosted by Crazyterran
High Elves were in MoP, capturing Blood Elves and then fighting Blood Elves on the IoT.

Veressa is the one that sends you to kill a bunch of random NPCs, after all!

Oops you are right! Forgot about the whole Thunder Island bit, sooo WoD is the only expansion they had no presence in.