What I dont understand about Fall of UC

General Discussion
In the cinematic The ruins of Lordaeron looked poorly defended. There were no Blood elves present the strongest allies of the forsaken. Also there were no plague throwers and gas in action which would be so surely used in a fight against the forsaken.

How did the alliance steamroll all the way up past Hillsbrad which they lost in cataclysm? Southshore was destroyed it was never represented they pushed back into Hillsbrad. No victor was declared in Andorhal in the western plaguelands only that the scourge who had previously held it were going to lose no matter what because they were no longer being reinforced and the Lich King had been defeated.

Another important point, a fight for Undercity would be a tough one as it would lead to underground inside the actual undercity and who knows what kind of defenses the forsaken would have prepared there.
Because the Alliance attacked first.
Perhaps, and I know it's crazy, but maybe the story, which isn't told in the cinematic, will be revealed soon explaining, I think it's safe to say, everything.
Horde could just sabotage the elevators if the alliance made it that far. Seal the sewers with something and there's no way to get in.
11/04/2017 04:18 AMPosted by Orctar

Fun Fact, we destroyed your beloved Orgrimmar (with all your urine and feces in the streets) and our High King told you that if you ever attempted anything like that again we would finish you.

Those who do not learn from History will repeat it.
11/04/2017 04:16 AMPosted by Troposphere
Another important point, a fight for Undercity would be a tough one as it would lead to underground inside the actual undercity and who knows what kind of defenses the forsaken would have prepared there.

Undercity should be a defense in itself - I have no idea how that green stuff doesn't sting non-undead but good luck getting the stains out alliance :X
There's basically no technology used in it. No forsaken, blood elf, goblin, draenei, or gnome tech is present. The dwarves are using only their most basic technology.
Maybe The Alliance attacked when the wind was blowing towards the city. Sounds dumb, but something as trivial as wind direction can make a biological/chemical weapon useless.

If it blows back to the walls, it will kill your troops as well. Maybe Alliance shamans pulled that little prank on them in a book at some point. We don't know. A tactic to neutralize the advantage of Blight would be easy to think of and a long time coming.

Maybe The Forsaken lost or expended their supplies of blight on the attack on Stormwind, or in the battles leading up to the attack on Undercity.

That being said. This wouldn't be the first time that a much smaller Alliance force has just dropped in and breached the Undercity. Ruins are not all that defensible. As long as The Forsaken have their living allies with them, the tricks they can pull are pretty limited.

Horde could just sabotage the elevators if the alliance made it that far. Seal the sewers with something and there's no way to get in.

Sewers have more holes than a sieve. That is the very nature of sewers. Stuff from up top is meant to get into them. There's definitly more ways down there than what's represented in game.
11/04/2017 04:22 AMPosted by Stormborn
11/04/2017 04:18 AMPosted by Orctar

Fun Fact, we destroyed your beloved Orgrimmar (with all your urine and feces in the streets) and our High King told you that if you ever attempted anything like that again we would finish you.

So the Alliance are War mongers, i love it
11/04/2017 04:22 AMPosted by Adelphie
There's basically no technology used in it. No forsaken, blood elf, goblin, draenei, or gnome tech is present. The dwarves are using only their most basic technology.

I don't think the Draenie shooting an Independence Day lazer at the Undercity would have been as epic.
11/04/2017 04:23 AMPosted by Orctar
11/04/2017 04:22 AMPosted by Stormborn

So the Alliance are War mongers, i love it

You clearly don't understand the History/Lore of the game we are playing.

or

You do understand and want to try to erase/change what really happened.

in any case, if we can.. I'll see you in a PVP shard.
11/04/2017 04:16 AMPosted by Troposphere
In the cinematic The ruins of Lordaeron looked poorly defended. There were no Blood elves present the strongest allies of the forsaken. Also there were no plague throwers and gas in action which would be so surely used in a fight against the forsaken.

We don't know what stage of the siege this was. (Taking a city is an involved process, of course.) This could be the last ditch, with many of their units and weapons already out of action. Or, more likely, it could be the initial clash, with both sides holding the heavy stuff in reserve in case of trickery or a sudden reversal.

As for strategically how it reached that point... hard to say. If the Horde's armies were out of position, conceivably the Alliance could strike from the Broken Isles, bypassing a lot of the Forsaken-held shoreline. It'd be a tenuous thing, but depending on the overall situation, maybe viable.

Or it could've been a forlorn hope - teleport your strike force to the gates of the city, and if you fail, you die. Not Anduin's style but certainly Genn's.
11/04/2017 04:24 AMPosted by Awax
11/04/2017 04:22 AMPosted by Adelphie

I don't think the Draenie shooting an Independence Day lazer at the Undercity would have been as epic.

Could have at least had dwarf tanks or something.
There's no way the Alliance could have gotten a big enough drop on Undercity to lay an entire seige without the horde noticing.

There has to have been an outside party involved, or the Undercity seige had been planned even while fighting together in legion.
My understanding is that is is "unclear" who shot first. My guess is that Sylvanas had the majority of her forces/efforts focused on Teldressil, not expecting the Alliance to attack Undercity. Thus, she only had a smaller number of defenders, as most of her Forsaken and Blood Elves were engaged in Kalimdor.

I think the fall of Undercity has less to do with the Sewers and more to do with the inability to properly support the populace. Sure, the undead can hole up underground, but what happens if Brill is razed and the zeppelins destroyed? Where are the supply lines? You kill that teleporter to Silvermoon and Undercity is isolated.

I think it is extremely off the mark to assume that there is a singular aggressor. From the Horde perspective, Alliance is the aggressor. From the Alliance perspective, the Horde is. That is the conceit of the narrative (for all it makes no sense and once again has Blizzard forcing the major Alliance narrative into something we are not, and never have been (though we do have our outliers--but again, we wouldn't have those "angry Alliance warmongers" if they hadn't lost so much to Horde aggression, whereas Horde warmongers are as they are because it's a Tuesday).

The tl;dnr is that Undercity is underdefended because Sylvanas was too busy destroying Teldressil when the Alliance attacked, and the Horde aren't victims here, just hoisted by their own petards.
11/04/2017 04:28 AMPosted by Heartx
There's no way the Alliance could have gotten a big enough drop on Undercity to lay an entire seige without the horde noticing.

There has to have been an outside party involved, or the Undercity seige had been planned even while fighting together in legion.

Who says it's without the horde noticing? The battle at Undercity could be the culmination of a series of yet-unnamed battles in the upcoming book. We're only seeing a small part of a larger story here.

And The Alliance has besieged and breached Undercity in the past.