I hope WoW Classic isnt a 'true vanilla' game

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
...Because there was a lot of ridiculous crap and objectively horrible design decisions back in Vanilla that really kept the game from being a true 10/10 game.

Remember how most specs had like one button? Want to play a Frost Mage? Haha cool, hope you like spamming literally nothing but Frostbolt. I also hope you like spamming nothing but Shadowbolt on your Warlock because the only Curse you're allowed to use is Elements or that other damage-increasing one whose name I forget, because you cant afford to be putting Curse of Agony or Corruption on the boss in case it knocks Sunder Armor off.

Remember how running through a mud puddle dismounted you? Yeah, leveling in Dustwallow Marsh sure was fun.

What's that? You're leveling a Warrior? Cool! You're the ONLY viable tank at endgame! Hope you werent planning on playing Arms or Fury, because those specs dont become viable until you're a couple bosses deep in Blackwing Lair, and we need more tanks. So strap on a shield, son, because that's all you'll be doing! Also, I hope you werent hoping on having fun before level 30 and getting your Whirlwind Axe, because Warriors are absolutely horrible at leveling before then.

Remember how you'd walk into a new zone like Redridge Mountains and be able to do like 5 quests before all the quests in your log were red and you'd have to leave and go to Loch Modan or back to Westfall to level up some more just so you could come back and finish Redridge? Oh, and that glorious Goulash quest where you need 5 samples of three different kinds of ingredients that drop from maybe 10 total mobs in the zone with a 10% drop rate that you need to fight every other person in the zone for? Such fun!

Remember how half the classes and specs were literally not viable at 60? Hell, even your starting race could decide whether you got a raid slot or not. Looking at you, Dwarf Priests who get picked over Humans 100% of the time because you have Fear Ward and Humans dont. Or how if you play a Druid, you're not getting into the raid unless you're Resto, and even then you'll probably get kicked the instant the Raid Leader finds another Priest because Priests are better than Resto Druids in every way short of Innervate? Good times!

I could go on. Vanilla wasnt as shiny as special as a lot of people seem to claim. Honestly most of it was running. And sitting down to drink. Or standing in town spamming /2 for a healer for Deadmines or Blackrock Spire. There was a lot of little things that made the quest infuriating to play. Like how there was ONE graveyard and Flight Path per zone so you'll be on autorun half the time so you can alt tab until you get where you're going.

I hope Blizzard doesnt try to make the Vanilla experience as accurate as possible. I hope they instead try to make it as FUN as possible. Mounts no longer dismounting in water, quest difficulties being tweaked so you're no longer forced to grind mobs for 3 hours or travel across the world to a new zone to level there for a bit, classes being changed a bit so now you can tank a progression raid as a Prot Paladin or Guardian Druid, and so on.

The game could have been so much better than it was, but Blizzard wasnt experienced enough with game design to make it truly great. I'll probably be playing it regardless even if they change nothing at all, but I have no doubt that the 'fixed' Vanilla version would be a thousand times more fun to play.
According to what was said in the PC Gamer interview, it will be. But if you don't want to play "true vanilla", why not just play current? Not being sarcastic or anything, it's a legit question.
11/03/2017 08:26 PMPosted by Ratomare
According to what was said in the PC Gamer interview, it will be. But if you don't want to play "true vanilla", why not just play current? Not being sarcastic or anything, it's a legit question.

I do play current. I'll probably just be giving Vanilla a try and not really commit to playing it if it's a 'True vanilla' game. But if they reworked it with quality of life changes to make the gameplay flow better, I'd be a lot more interested.
Private vanilla realms have constant 10k+ people online at the same time.
So ya, i will not play it much you will not play it much but 10k people will surely just keep playing it.
I hope its just as broken and awful as it really was so that every stary eyed nostalgia wank can finally shut up about how "great" it was.
11/03/2017 08:30 PMPosted by Rickrolling
So ya, i will not play it much you will not play it much but 10k people will surely just keep playing it.

Static population counts mean nothing as a metric of popularity when compared to retail. I played on Nostalrius and Elysium for a while when I was bored and didn't have an active sub. Many players I talked to were only playing because it was free. Add a subscription fee into the mix and there's no telling how the numbers would drop.

That's also not even taking into account the long term server populations. How many people will be playing Vanilla two years from now? How about three? Five? How many of those players will be consistent players and how many will be newcomers just here to try it out?

You can throw around 10k until your face turns blue, but there's a world of difference between a free to play Vanilla game and a paid one, especially when the paid version wont be getting any long-term updates or patches to keep the content fresh.
just play the current game....
11/03/2017 08:28 PMPosted by Tyberim
11/03/2017 08:26 PMPosted by Ratomare

I do play current. I'll probably just be giving Vanilla a try and not really commit to playing it if it's a 'True vanilla' game. But if they reworked it with quality of life changes to make the gameplay flow better, I'd be a lot more interested.

That's fair. I wouldn't put it past them to add a "Classic+" server a little more down the line, with some quality of life improvements. But for the release, I imagine they're going to want to play it safe and just release Vanilla as it was.
If it's not 100% vanilla wow they should just cancel classic servers

Try more like 500,000.
The ridiculousness is what made it so great.
I hope it is a True complete Classic/Vanilla Warcraft Server, warts and all.
Tired of hearing this broken drum being thumped about how great Vanilla was.

Hope it has zero flight, long flight paths and still has the wonderful bugs of flying over the ocean and having people fall through the world to the other side.

That's what many of us that survived classic dealt with and I hope all those masochists that wish to experience the full pitfalls of Classic; capture their fondest masochistic memories.

Vanilla had very little enjoyment for me, I managed to stay subbed to the game concurrently for twelve and a half years; strictly through the quality of life advancements Warcraft got.

Who am I to stand in the way of people wanting to experience pain once again. Good luck to all those that enjoyed original classic; I sincerely hope you get what you are desiring.
If you don't like it don't play it, it's that easy, we'll be enjoying what we enjoy.
11/03/2017 08:38 PMPosted by Delinanna

Try more like 500,000.

The illegal server had 40k at most lol. 500,000 will roll toons for sure and then they will sit and collect dust.
11/03/2017 08:34 PMPosted by Zaliahna
I hope its just as broken and awful as it really was so that every stary eyed nostalgia wank can finally shut up about how "great" it was.

I don't think that will bother people much. What would hurt is if the community aspect they are looking for is not there or worst than what we have now. Pservers may have a good community but that has to do with moderation of servers and the type of people they attract. WoW Classic servers will cast a wider net and not have the strong moderation of pservers.

It will be interesting for the people that want to play there because of community. And this means that Blizzard will be coming down even harder on pservers since they will be in direct competition with them now.

I hope so too.

I'm a Star Trek fan, and I like to watch the original series, the unfixed one where you see the fishing wire holding up the ship and all the bad special effects.

I LOVE IT!

In vanilla, I want all the bugs, all the frustrations, all the brutal grinds, EVERYTHING exactly as it was. I started playing this game two accounts ago in vanilla and I truly miss it.

If people don't like this legacy server, don't logon. I have nothing against you. :D
Wouldn't it defeat the purpose of having a Legacy server, if things from future expacs are included in it?

Updated graphics and character models I could understand. But ANYTHING that effects game play or QoL issues shouldn't be included.

You want legacy vanilla servers, then that is exactly what you should get. None of the bells and whistles.

all of them? constant? um no, and none now, maybe LH across all its realms.
11/03/2017 08:36 PMPosted by Dios
If it's not 100% vanilla wow they should just cancel classic servers

If it's not 100% classic, I'm also not playing on it.
11/03/2017 08:42 PMPosted by Sickening
11/03/2017 08:38 PMPosted by Delinanna

Try more like 500,000.

The illegal server had 40k at most lol. 500,000 will roll toons for sure and then they will sit and collect dust.
Nah just Nostalrius had over active 100k players.