An Honest question for the Purest...

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
11/26/2017 11:37 AMPosted by Barrison
11/26/2017 11:25 AMPosted by Enkidu
If I understand what you're arguing for in this case, it is is not classic/vanilla, you're arguing for current retail, that game already exists and you can log on and play it.

Vanilla/classic gameplay should NOT be altered to suit the current retail crowd.

It's funny - you just railed about the Wall of No to a hardcore purest, but you're not against the Wall of No. You just believe it needs to be in a different location... first allowing in the stuff *you* personally want.

That said, I get it, there needs to be a Wall of No - some line that can't be crossed. I just don't think something on the lines of giving 31 point Ele Shamans something like a passive that lets them generate 30-50% mana back on offensive spells while in instanced content would compromise the feel of WoW Classic... so they didn't run out of mana 30 seconds into a fight.

It would just allow people to actually BE an ele shaman and not be useless.

Yes, no doubt I did, the wall of NO is silly because it means absolutely under no circumstances should anything change. That is unreasonable.

I believe there should be minor changes, but those should be far closer to the purist side of the fence. If you want to call that a new wall of NO that is fine, but the changes you're talking about begin to upset the gameplay experience in unintended ways. I view that as a bad thing.
11/25/2017 06:45 PMPosted by Stormwatcher
If everything else remained the same as Vanilla, Would you really have a problem with just updated graphics?

If yes you would have a problem, why?

Nah, I'm perfectly okay with updated graphics/models.
If everything else remained the same as Vanilla, Would you really have a problem with just updated graphics?

I'm here for WoW from 2004, not WoW remastered, not WoW Classic+, and definitely not WoW with chocolate, sprinkles, or any topping.

Edit: I just want to play the same game as to how i installed it from the very beginning.
I don't see why they just don't add the feature as something that can be toggled on/off like it currently is. Would make both sides happy.

Personally I'd love to see the new animations in the classic server. I haven't got to play with the new animations yet since I quit back in Cata, so seeing them as a toggable feature would be something I would like to see added.
11/26/2017 12:23 PMPosted by Meiyokazee

I'm here for WoW from 2004, not WoW remastered, not WoW Classic+, and definitely not WoW with chocolate, sprinkles, or any topping.

Edit: I just want to play the same game as to how i installed it from the very beginning.

And if there was a graphics toggle and a few UI changes you would never play?

Never ever?

Changes are coming whether or not you or I want them. I get the sense that most people would like to see the game at 95% or more where it was before BC.

Purists being at 100% would require Blizzard to be running two separate infrastructures and games, not gonna happen.
May sound strange but to me the old graphics are a lot less disproportionate and cartoony than the new graphics.
Sure some tweaks in shadows and blurs would make the old graphics look better but using the new graphics is a definite no
Honestly I probably wouldn't play if they used the new graphics and I can say I am 100% positive I wouldn't play if the used the new models. Don't want to see them, use them, or interact with them

If you go into a 60s throwback diner, you don't get upset for the interior looking like it dropped right out of the 60s. Why would a throwback game be any different?
You're going to get a lot of people on a nostalgia trip who are afraid that making that one daisy in goldshire from yellow to blue for other players will ruin the game.

Ask this question one week after release and all the nostalgia !@#$%^ go away because they can't time travel to recapture being a naive 12 year old playing wow all day with no responsibilities.

You'll get more logical answers.

It’s pretty simple. If they spend 6 months updating sprites it is a waste of resources. They can get the game out the door earlier and to be honest graphics aren’t the selling point. It’s the environment and game design.

We could be grinding earlier without the diversion of resources. For me it’s a pure opportunity/cost benefit call.

Just release it earlier because to be honest a graphics update won’t be worth it.
lets be real for a second - almost every single purist runs mods that change the graphics of wow anyway. Add fancy bars for ability cooldowns, blah blah blah.

Toggalable graphic updates so if i want to only see old world graphics i only see old world graphics, but if i want to see the new fancy graphics i can is a no brainer. Of course it should be in - it hurts nobody.

People arguing against it are most likely affraid that by accepting the new graphics there wont be a toggle switch to turn them off and that it opens the door to other game play impacting changes
People in this thread are full of !@#$ and to be frank I dont think blizzard is going to listen to them anyways in regards to graphics. I'm quite certain their is going to be a graphics overhaul, with that being said they're probably going to make it look and feel as close to the game was when it was released. This probably means they will probably give the classic model a few updated polygons that make it look a bit better but will maintain that classic appearance.
11/26/2017 12:36 PMPosted by Enkidu
11/26/2017 12:23 PMPosted by Meiyokazee

Never ever?

Changes are coming whether or not you or I want them. I get the sense that most people would like to see the game at 95% or more where it was before BC.

Purists being at 100% would require Blizzard to be running two separate infrastructures and games, not gonna happen.

Simple solution. If Blizzard doesn't restore the game, then they'll continue getting flamed for taking down private servers. Their motive should be towards the original product, not what the community that wants extra implementation towards the original so that they could feel more soothing or relaxing. That's mind controlling towards this current era. Bringing in a change (whether it affects in-game or not) that wasn't from the original would raise more cons than pros.
11/26/2017 01:30 PMPosted by Meiyokazee
11/26/2017 12:36 PMPosted by Enkidu

Never ever?

Simple solution. If Blizzard doesn't restore the game, then they'll continue getting flamed for taking down private servers. Their motive should be towards the original product, not what the community that wants extra implementation towards the original so that they could feel more soothing or relaxing. That's mind controlling towards this current era. Bringing in a change (whether it affects in-game or not) that wasn't from the original would raise more cons than pros.

The level of tinfoil hat conspiracy in this comment is actually amusing.

Uuuh, if you think private servers are 100% what vanilla was like, I have some magic beans to sell you.
It is I, I am the Purest. The most pure of them all.

I have an honest question. Why do you want to play Classic, but not have it look like Classic? Embrace the game for what it was.

And yes, I would have a problem with a toggle (let alone forced new models/animations). It will ruin streams and videos. It'll create a weird collection of such streams and videos that look different from one another. It'll create confusion and detract from the identity of Classic realms. Also, it'll...just look bad. The different styles don't match.
11/26/2017 01:36 PMPosted by Xalanii

Uuuh, if you think private servers are 100% what vanilla was like, I have some magic beans to sell you.

They're not but it'll definitely be worth it if Blizzard were to ever lean in towards the community and alter the game in any new and "fashionable" way.
I would very much like the capability to run the game at 144hz, but other than that, old graphics/models/animations.
11/26/2017 01:44 PMPosted by Meiyokazee
11/26/2017 01:36 PMPosted by Xalanii

They're not but it'll definitely be worth it if Blizzard were to ever lean in towards the community and alter the game in any new and "fashionable" way.

Blizzard could literally make the same exact game and purists would still claim it wasn't "really" Vanilla.

I think most people will eventually just ignore the purists. We'll have to or they'll destroy everything fun.
11/26/2017 01:47 PMPosted by Xalanii
11/26/2017 01:44 PMPosted by Meiyokazee

Blizzard could literally make the same exact game and purists would still claim it wasn't "really" Vanilla.

I think most people will eventually just ignore the purists. We'll have to or they'll destroy everything fun.

So by making the same exact game would debunk this entire thread and stop people from copying the original product. In other words, Blizzard has successfully replicated the game without listening to the community on fancy modern ideas and let everyone rejoice. On the side note they won't even have to hunt down private servers anymore. Boom. No changes.