Thinking about Emerald Dream? Read This! v3.1

Emerald Dream
Greetings travelers! Thank you for taking the time to look at Emerald Dream. Please feel free to read this guide in full detail to decide if you are right for our realm. Don't skim - it's important to make sure you are able to give back to this realm as much - if not more - than it gives to you!

Before you find yourself $27.23 poorer than you were yesterday, take a look at some of the most commonly asked questions we see on an almost-daily basis:

To all the current Dreamers before we begin, please let me know if any of this information isn't correct, is outdated, or simply needs to be added, and I'll edit it accordingly.

Let’s answer the more difficult questions first:

"Is Emerald Dream right for me?"
This question really should be, "Am I right for Emerald Dream?". Emerald Dream has its own unique flavor in that we were both an RP server and a PvP server. Despite our current denotation as a RP realm, we still keep our RP-PvP flair. This means we are a full RP server, as we have always been, minus our official PvP rule-set. However, Warmode is a very active part of our server if not "the way to play" on Emerald Dream.

How you fit in to that description is entirely up to you.

"How is the RP here?"
It depends how you look at it - if you're coming from a PvP or PvE server, it will be quite a bit more prevalent (I can't recall seeing open RP on any of my PvP-realm stints). If you're coming from a large dedicated RP server like Moonguard or Wyrmrest, it probably won't be as prevalent. But regardless, it's still here, and we're doing our best to keep it alive and well.

Admittedly, most of the true RP is guild-centric, but not exclusive to anyone. In other words, you may not just up and stumble across 10 random players RPing together. Instead, you're more likely to envelope yourself in an RP group if you start introducing yourself to well-known RP guilds, so you can tag along when they host events. Or better yet, become a part of their guild so you can host your own.

Emerald Dream RP is what you make it.

Side note: Hop into the RP channels on Horde/Alliance and give it a spin (/join RP). We have also established communities for these channels. Ask General or RP chat for those link and invites. They can also be found here on the forums.

"What is an RP-PVP realm?":

RP-PvP servers no longer exist with the addition of Warmode. However, they were opened at subscribers’ request. Prior to the opening of this type of server, players had to choose between RP-PvE servers or pure PvP servers, often splitting time between realm types to satisfy both areas of interest. In other words, an RP-PvP realm such as Emerald Dream is not a realm designed for players to partake in only RP or only PvP.

RP-PvP servers were created in response to roleplayers that wished to play with the PvP ruleset. It is not a request, but an expectation, that veterans, transfers, and new players alike be well-versed and capable in both. Although Emerald Dream no longer holds its RP-PvP denotation as mentioned above if you do not satisfy that criteria please invest your time (and likely money) elsewhere on a more suitable realm!

"How is the PvE here?":
Generally, pretty decent. Long-time PvE'ers will tell you that "PvE comes to Emerald Dream to die", but we have countless guilds clearing Normal, Heroic, and even Mythic mode raids on both Horde and Alliance and quite a few conquering several bosses in Heroic and a handful have Heroic/Mythic bosses on farm.

If you're a hardcore dragonslayer, please take a look at where other guilds are and decide for yourself, in comparison to your server, where we're at:

20-Man Mythic Progression Sticky: (Capped and outdated)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415131707

It is suggested you look for yourself here: http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us/emerald-dream
"How is the PvP here?":
For those interested in PvP, please pay close attention.

Rated PvP-
Emerald Dream is no Tichondrius. However, we have plenty of players here - and by proxy - guilds that have 2200+ and/or Gladiator-level players in large quantities. If you're an upper-echelon player that wants to find a home and can respect the fact that Emerald Dream is - at its core - an RP realm, then you'll find a home pretty quickly here.

WPvP-
If you're looking primarily for small-scale RP-PvP or WPvP, Emerald Dream is struggling to remain healthy. Though it's simmered down a bit since the advent of sharding in some areas to help alleviate server pressure and the removal of the World Defense Channel, we still have a handful of guilds working together to promote PvP and several areas (namely cities and Azeroth hubs) where WPvP tends to flare up. More often than not, something will need defending and when the WorldDefense is working again he hope to pick up WPvP once again. The Warden Towers don’t cut it.

One thing to note, however, is that faction imbalance has started to affect our realm on a small scal. If you're interested in partaking in WPvP, please look elsewhere unless you have the intention to promote a healthy environment for all. We are in need of more a few more Horde players willing to balance the numbers, since the mass influx of Alliance transfers and faction changes are still effecting us to a degree.

Keep in mind, through all that, that Emerald Dream isn't your only choice for a realm that's strong in WPvP. Bleeding Hollow is another excellent realm with an abundance of WPvP, and if you're not down with the whole RP aspect of Emerald Dream, please look into them more. Their forums can be found here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1180712/

Allow me to repeat that last sentence:

If you are not okay with RP or are not willing to give RP a fair shot every bit as much as you would PvE or PvP, please give Bleeding Hollow a shot. Don't transfer here and regret it!

"What's the population like?":
Across all levels, the population is pretty even, but don't let that fool you.
Amongst level 110 characters, Emerald Dream has about a 49/51 split among Horde and Alliance, respectively. However, Realmpop takes all 110 characters that those numbers can be skewed by player such as myself who have 6 110s. Even with that, Emerald Dream remains one of the most balanced servers out there and we go to great painstaking lengths to keep it that way.

Keep in mind that many long-term players have taken it upon themselves to shuffle both their own characters and their guilds in order to attempt to preserve Emerald Dream's faction ratios. With recent transfers and faction changes, this is becoming increasingly difficult to do.
As such, please think twice before coming here in the name of PvP; we are not the same realm that we were just a few months ago.

Realm stats according to RealmPop (for level 110s on Emerald Dream-US): UPDATED 11/14/2017
- Alliance: 50,280 (50.7%)
- Horde: 48,954 (49.3%)

"What is community like?":

In as few words as possible: tightly knit.

We know who one another are; our characters and guilds have rivalries, Kill-On-Sight lists, and there's even hatred held between certain players (you know who you are). In other words, if you're a great person, and give back to the community, people will know who you are.

Likewise, if you spam Trade chat with an arena rating you bought, make cat-calls at women over Discord, and are an unwarranted elitist, people will know who you are and (especially with these folks) we don't often forgive, and we don't often forget.

Know it, expect it, embrace it.

Still have more questions and don't know who to ask? Try adding a few of us on BattleTag:

Zaxie#1654 (This is me)
For anyone else interested in being a contact, please myself know - there are certainly authorities on different subjects out there other than just me!

Though the activity levels have dropped significantly, I find that we are still one of the most active forum communities within WoW. Perhaps the only ones more active are General and Story, maybe a few more.

Please come check it out, I promise you won't regret it! Come be a part of the community!
Helpful links:

For a brief (albeit outdated) History on Emerald Dream:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Server:Emerald_Dream_US

Maralah's Roleplaying Guide:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759222806?page=1

Maralah's RP-PvP FAQ Thread:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759527607

Abrahof’s List of Roleplaying Guilds Base of Operation:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20755655975?page=1

Abrahof's RP Lore Advisors (great to check out if you want to make backstories!):
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759435978?page=1#

Bebbit's Guild Listings (Outdated; very important to check out if you're looking at coming over alone!)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10587899023
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15140654133

Side Note: Major props to Bebbit for keeping this sticky neat and updated, please pay it forward! Check it out!

A Final Word from Aeterna:

I would encourage every player interested in coming over to Emerald Dream to check it out for themselves. Simply put, I - as a native Emerald Dream player - am always little taken aback by all these glorious stories, and extreme criticism, people tell about us who aren’t from here. Don't buy into the hype or gripe. Come here to experience it yourself, because things like to be blown out of proportion both negatively and positively.

Similarly, if you're a capable PvPer, don't be put off by the RP ruleset of the server but do realize this is an RP server and we expect you to at least try. I am an avid PvPer both in WPvP and rated play like Arenas and RBGs. But I am - at my core - an RPer. If you are one but not the other, don't be too put off by the realm type. But, at the very minimum, have an expressed (and genuine) interest in taking part in both scenes. RP is what fuels our PvP, not the other way around.

After all, Emerald Dream is what you make it. We are an RP-PvP server, and both myself and others are invested in its continuing health. Please be part of the solution, not the problem!

Credits and Honorable Mentions:
Aeterna – For creating and keeping v2.0 up.
Livyani - For keeping the original thread afloat
Bebbit - For all of his work prior on various stickies
Hanif – Also for multiple ED stickies
Defenestrate - For keeping up with PvE progression on-point
Zappie - For being Zappie
As the second in our sticky renewal effort please:

• Report the Post:
  • COMMENT: "Sticky Request"
  • DO NOT report the original post until this one is stickied
  • Probably should add in...

Report Post.
    Select Other.
    Type in comment, "Sticky Request"
    11/17/2017 09:32 PMPosted by Loknal
    Probably should add in...

Report Post.
    Select Other.
    Type in comment, "Sticky Request"

I knew I forgot a step. Thank you.
    I assume this is a somewhat softer version of an RP perspective on ED, which is welcoming imo. Have you reached out to wpvp guilds on Ed for their opinion on this if you're planning to make a sticky?
    11/18/2017 03:59 PMPosted by Madflamingo
    Have you reached out to wpvp guilds on Ed for their opinion on this if you're planning to make a sticky?

All have the capability to add comments or suggestions to the post here, or in the various discords I've also copied the link as some do not check the forums daily.

Essentially what I do is take the information already on it, update it to reflect what the server is doing/with what has changed, especially when there are comments only pertinent to a particular expansion, and repost it here in hopes of it getting sticked to have an active account attached to the list.
    Hey man! I appreciate this immensely.

I wrote v1.0 some time in late Wrath/Early Cata on my Mage, and renewed it on my Priest prior to eating a forum ban which chewed the sticky in half.

Just speaking from experience, the best way to get this stickied is to email Blizzard and recommend it replace the old one. Both times I've written in an email, they've been stickied in under 24 hours :)

Cheers, and thanks a ton for putting in the effort in keeping this updated!
    Hey Bricke! I'm happy to see you still play.

I'll put a sticky in probably Tuesday-ish if it doesn't get stickied by then. The last one was stickied in a few days so I have high hopes.
    Thanks again for updating Abrahof and all who were credited at the bottom :) Its now stickied!

Here's a link to the old one in case you ever need it for reference:
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/15686078464
    Thank you again Ythisens. Hope you had a wonderful holiday break and I am sure we'll see you around again soon.
    11/27/2017 01:06 PMPosted by Ythisens
    Thanks again for updating Abrahof and all who were credited at the bottom :) Its now stickied!

Here's a link to the old one in case you ever need it for reference:
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/15686078464

WOOP WOOP
    Hello all,

Great post - it was very helpful in deciding about joining this server.

I’m returning after a very long hiatus. Call me nostalgic but I plan on starting a new character from scratch, leveling the old school way with no heirlooms. I’d like to do this with a great and immersive community. I see that the population is very balanced however, what is the total population like? I know this is an RP server so you only shard with other RP servers which will probably limit the amount of people you will see.

To keep it simple, would you recommend this server for someone looking to start fresh, or should I join one that is more populated?
    11/29/2017 08:38 AMPosted by Ilthian
    To keep it simple, would you recommend this server for someone looking to start fresh, or should I join one that is more populated?

Its fairly obvious that you are not totally new to the game. So I believe in that case any server is a good server to start fresh, it just depends on what you are looking for.

I see that the population is very balanced however, what is the total population like?

We are now a Med-High server, down from a High-Full server back in Wrath-MoP. So still pretty active. Definitely not dead.

I know this is an RP server so you only shard with other RP servers which will probably limit the amount of people you will see.

Sharding is only enabled in Legion zones and Cross Realm is completely turned off for RP realms. This may actually reduce the amount of people you see. However even on other realms you only really see a few people out in the world leveling with you, not many more you would see here.

All that said and when you go to look for some RP, keep in mind that ED is a very guild centered RP realm. It has been our nature since... basically forever.

Hope this all helps.
    Abrahof. You promoted wpvp at an Alli tower yesterday. Was fun killing you. Keep it coming!
    11/29/2017 10:31 AMPosted by Hôldstîîlplz
    Abrahof. You promoted wpvp at an Alli tower yesterday. Was fun killing you. Keep it coming!

Yeah, it wasnt too fun on this end seeing a 10mil rogue drop me in a few seconds. Oh well. It happens.

Got to keep all your dirty hands out of Highmountain is all.
    As someone who wanted to get more into pvp but also dabble in RP, this server has been a great fit for me. So many people have been so welcoming and helpful to a newbie to the server like myself.

Thank you guys so much!
    Glad we have been able to help you out!

As salty and abrasive ED seems, I always enjoy seeing things like this. Show's were all not Heltor ;)

Thanks again Jehun, hope to see you around.