What spec do you consider hard to play?

General Discussion
12/04/2017 08:07 AMPosted by Tekheala
Questions like this are the byproduct of the homogenization of classes. There is no hard spec. There's only damn I didn't get the procs spec or press 111111 to build secondary resource and 2 to dump it.

Aff: "Damn my RNG didn't line up."

Demo: "Oh boy, really hope I don't have to move on this fight!"
I play Warlock and often I get frustrated by the fact that it's a shadow of its former self because no developer plays Warlocks. Does that count?
Questions like this are the byproduct of the homogenization of classes. There is no hard spec. There's only damn I didn't get the procs spec or press 111111 to build secondary resource and 2 to dump it.

Not really. Yes, there are plenty of similar build/spend classes out there, and yes, there are proc dependent classes. However, there are more layers to most classes than just build/spend/proc. If you feel I’m wrong, please go back and read your spell book and talent tree tooltips. If you don’t like the reactive gameplay of Enh, get better at Ele or go heal some higher level keys:)
12/04/2017 08:21 AMPosted by Severitas
I play Warlock and often I get frustrated by the fact that it's a shadow of its former self because no developer plays Warlocks. Does that count?

In BC I would put up corruption and spam shadowbolt. I actually wore out my 1 key. Warlock rotations are a lot more fun than they used to be.
Demonology warlock and icefury elemental shaman build
12/04/2017 08:53 AMPosted by Sickfreak

In BC I would put up corruption and spam shadowbolt. I actually wore out my 1 key. Warlock rotations are a lot more fun than they used to be.

Despite the nay sayers whining about homogenization and pruning, this game has been increasingly harder for PvE in every expansion. Dungeon bosses today are more mechanically complex than most Vanilla and BC raid bosses...much less raids themselves. Rotations are literally all gone as every class uses a priority system and no spec is slow and methodical to play. Raids also rely so much more on twitch reflexes while throwing unending waves of mechanics at you that largely all are relevant past normal raids.

So not only do we have faster paced raids, we have mechanically complex specs, and we have an arms race with Blizzard as they continuously seek to challenge us further than we seek to improve and get better.

We live in an era where 2 weeka after a raid is out, if you havent cleared it, most pugs dont/wont touch you. Where to even qualify for a pug, you need to already largely outgear the
raid.
I distinctly remember the old days. I have never worked harder in this game than I have in the respective current expansion. The only thing that is definitely easier than the older days is how quickly one can, if they are in the know, get reasonably current on gearing. Good luck breaking the normal raid wall though outside a guild.
Survival. I can't stand being a melee hunter.
Arcane mage
me personally, healing. everytime I try a healer, everyone dies. it's not a good record...
Any class that lacks both mobility and has to wait to generate resources with nothing to do in the meanwhile; slowly waiting for the right proc or energy to fill up. Playing a Balance Druid in Legion has spoiled me - I hate resource required classes like the Demon Hunter, Death Knight and even Hunters to a lesser extent.
Sub rogue took me a while to get used to. I mained a rogue since 2005, but I was always combat or assassin. Sub is one of those specs that has a make-or-break opening rotation that is overly complicated. 1 mistake will destroy your dps.

I will now lay out that rotation for all of you to enjoy:

From Stealth: Activate Shadow Blades, immediately shadow strike. Backstab 1 time, and activate Nightblade. Shadow dance, then activate shadow focus and shadow strike twice. Eviscerate. Shadow strike again. Backstab 1 time. Vanish. Activate Death From Above, and then hit Shadow Dance again RIGHT BEFORE DFA LANDS (this is crucial). Then Shadow strike twice, Eviscerate, Shadow strike again. Activate Goremaw and then refresh Nightblade. Now you go into your basic rotation.

But you must do all of this listed in order and not mess up once. This is the difference between 2 million dps and 900k dps.

Go play Disc
I'm what I like to call a "rogue idiot." I can't seem to play that class with any kind of efficiency.
I once tried affliction warlock. In Cataclysm I believe it was. Toughest class I've ever played. So many dots to keep track of.
12/04/2017 08:53 AMPosted by Sickfreak

I've been playing since vanilla. And while end-game BC was about Shadow Bolt spam, Affliction and Demonology actually became viable in early raiding. We got Soul Shatter finally as a threat drop. What I can definitely say was that BC was an improvement to previous mechanics. One can say that the Warlock class kept improving until MoP, declined at WoD, and fell off a cliff in Legion.

EDIT: As an example, purely for Destruction: no Shadowburn to execute mobs unless talented to REPLACE Conflag. Vanilla Hellfire was more interesting than waiting on RNG shards to stack Rain of Fires. Backlash for exciting nuke chains went away (although it went away a long time ago) and given to Boomkins. Our Chaos Bolt has less polys than some critters. Still no new animations. Animations taken away for Fire Mages.
I stopped playing when Cata popped so my last bit of raiding was as a Mut Rogue in ICC. That to me would be the perfect example of a derp-easy to play spec.

As far as healers, the only one I have tried is this here Resto Sham. I wouldn't call the spec hard to play, more healing in general that is fairly difficult because of the snap decisions that have to be made. But the spec is mostly just based around generating and spending Tidal Waves (as far as this filthy casual knows anyway).

Reading this makes me want to play a Disc Priest though.
Prot Warrior. When played correctly they are brick walls. When played incorrectly they are wet paper bags.
feral druid for me. i just can't get it right.
Feral/WW/Survival/Spriest
Everything else is pretty easy
It's hard for me to wrap my head around Legion Arcane Mage.

Possibly because I've tried it for a collective five minutes but hey.

In terms of rewarding uhh. IDK. Windwalkers?

Also Survival for a while at launch.