Rep Required for Allied Races

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
12/03/2017 12:15 PMPosted by Cérnunnos
As we know WoW has it's highest population peaks at expansion launches, meaning yes, people return specifically for the new expansion.

So, you return for BFA, it's selling point being Allied races... (you know, like a new race or a new class has always been)...
You use your 110 character boost... but instead of leveling or otherwise playing in the new content like everyone else, you have to stay level 110 and quest in Legion zones below your level, THEN grind world quests for a month and finally THEN you'll be allowed to ACTUALLY play the selling point for which you bought BFA.

Yeah, I don't think Blizz thought this one through.

Exactly.

As I said, having the requirement be complete the Highmountain Quests, Suramar Quests, etc. would be significantly better.

It ensures that the player has encountered the race and befriended them and done everything possible other than do mind numbing repetitive daily quests to appease them further.

For instance:

Highmountain Tauren: Complete the "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" achievement.
Nightborne: Complete the "Good Suramaritan" achievement.
Lightforged Draenei: Complete the "You are now Prepared!" achievement.
Void Elves: Complete the "You are now Prepared!" achievement. (Unless they add a new rep for void elves in 7.3.5)

This would be MUCH better than reputation requirements, and not force someone who wants to switch to Horde for the first time for Nightborne or Alliance for the first time for Void Elves to have to level another race on that faction to 110 and grind for a month or two just to unlock what they actually want to play.
12/03/2017 04:40 AMPosted by Maizou
The Insurrection storyline does not give reputation, likely because when it was introduced, Exalted was a requirement to unlock the quests.

Given that we can gain rep after reaching exalted and there are bonus rewards for each 10k above exalted, those quests should still award rep.

Just nit picking here as this is a pet peeve of mine.
Yeah, if allied races are a selling point of the expansion, it's pretty awful design to lock these new features behind old reputation grinds on irrelevant content.
12/03/2017 09:38 PMPosted by Mahatma
12/03/2017 04:40 AMPosted by Maizou
The Insurrection storyline does not give reputation, likely because when it was introduced, Exalted was a requirement to unlock the quests.

Given that we can gain rep after reaching exalted and there are bonus rewards for each 10k above exalted, those quests should still award rep.

Just nit picking here as this is a pet peeve of mine.

They should, but they don't. Was so mad when I found out, because as I said, my Horde was only 4k into honored after finishing all of Suramar.
Rep is one of few gates I don't mind :(
Somehow I remember Ion saying in a Q&A something in the lines of its being more of a case of being in a certain point of the questline or completing it to unlock them. While it still would be something kinda annoying to be done (SPECIALLY for the crack elves) its not something so horribly time consuming to be done nowadays that they removed the rep required to do the follow up parts of the questline in Suramar.
In Ptr; the achieve for lightforged draenai and void elf also is from a questline. Not sure about the reps; I do hope it's account wide and not a per faction thing. The reps do seem to affect horde for nightfallen and highmountain tauren at any rate. You might need those reps on a horde toon; but hopefully it's account wide. It would be unfortunate for people to have to grind them on both factions for requirements to be met.
Them being locked behind reputation isn't a done deal, it's not decided yet, just one of the options they're looking at.

I'm pretty neutral about it. Rep isn't hard to get, even if you don't play a lot, and it would make sense for new players to do the content involving that race before getting access to that race.

On the other side of the argument, doing the questlines would check that box.

Reputation grinds have been part of the game since the beginning, and some really important things have been locked behind them, so this is nothing new to me and doesn't bother me. MMOs aren't quite like singleplayer games, content isn't meant to be readily available to you immediately.

The other side of THAT argument is that Allied Races are a selling point of the expansion, so some people wouldn't appreciate it being locked behind anything at all.

So... Yeah. I'm on the fence. Don't care either way, I could understand both.
this mainly hurts players who haven't participated in Legion at all. I bet when they buy Battle for Azeroth with the shiny races shown next to the "Pay" button, they won't be told they need to farm legion reps to exalted (which is timegated and takes ages) to play those new races.

Hilarious Blizzard will even put a carrot on a stick for expansion features now.
12/04/2017 12:01 AMPosted by Flickshot
this mainly hurts players who haven't participated in Legion at all. I bet when they buy Battle for Azeroth with the shiny races shown next to the "Pay" button, they won't be told they need to farm legion reps to exalted (which is timegated and takes ages) to play those new races.

Hilarious Blizzard will even put a carrot on a stick for expansion features now.

Death Knights were an expansion feature for Wrath of the Lich King. You had to have a high level character, and that was back before Cata's revamp to the leveling experience. This isn't a new thing.

Edit: It goes back even further than that. Illidan and the Black Temple were heavily advertised for Burning Crusade, but you had to get to max level and go through attunement to get it. New players buying it because they wanted to see Illidan had to go through the steps to get there. There's always going to be features for an expansion that new players won't be able to get without some time investment, just like there's always going to be features that you get right away.
It takes no time with those mission board tokens on a number of characters to get exalted rep. I am not sure of the reasoning behind what they are doing but really do people have to complain about every decision blizzard makes in this game.

The fact they are using this expansions' rep is a pretty good indication we will be getting these prior to next expansion. This raid is it for content for the next 9 months or so so there has to be something else.
I sort of agree. Wheras I think its not hard to get exalted there are many time related gates like waiting for world quests that are boring.

Also you have to think about how many races will actually get added over time. It might not be mandatory to play a certain allied race but what if you want to play a certain race/class combo. Would those players still pick there prefered class or level another race and hold off playing that class until they unlock that race?

I have been holding back on leveling alts cause I want the heritage armor; the best solution would be to add more ways to use the allied races (boa toy disguises when you unlock them) and or to make other ways to get the heritage armor. Cause I am thinking of leveling an allied race and then deleting it to save character slits for future races and race change some characters I already play... (Probably race changing my rogue to zandalari or nightfallen; but sort of hoping eredar would have been my perfect race/class combo).
Just have the Rep requirement be only for unlocking the heritage armor.
have they announced the reps already?
If theyre going to make it Exhalted rep, why not make it a cheevo you get? Like lets say I got the AotL/Aggu reach to exhalted on my druid here and got the cheevo for it so it unlocks the choice for me on alliance side to get my Lightforged/Velves without the horrendous extra grinding on an Alt thats less geared.
12/03/2017 04:32 AMPosted by Bananalel
Because you should be exalted with every broken isles faction at this point in the xpac.

And I am. On my main. And several of my alts. Who are all Horde.

Is their rep going to count for when I want to make a velf or light draenai?
I don't understand the disconnect between quest chains and rep levels.

I mean, you can walk into ICC and kill The Lich King, but you aren't then automatically Exalted with the Ashen Verdict.

Think about that!

I agree that following a quest chain should be all you need for important elements of the game. Keep things like mounts, tabards and fishing poles locked behind rep requirements.
I get why they'd be wanting you to have Exalted with the factions; it sets a story reason for you being chosen as your faction's representative. You're exalted with them, they'll clearly be more open and willing to listen to an exalted champion and look favorably upon your faction because of it.

Except that it's really not that easy to get Exalted, especially if you're wanting to unlock the allied race and jump right into playing your new alt. From Ion's tone, it seems like the intent is to make it require completing the quests. He's just grossly overestimating how much rep you actually get from the quests.

Honored, or even Revered would be a good point to hit. Or hell, even just completing the appropriate zone's story achievement. Exalted is a pretty big grind.
12/03/2017 09:13 PMPosted by Maizou
12/03/2017 12:15 PMPosted by Cérnunnos
As we know WoW has it's highest population peaks at expansion launches, meaning yes, people return specifically for the new expansion.

So, you return for BFA, it's selling point being Allied races... (you know, like a new race or a new class has always been)...
You use your 110 character boost... but instead of leveling or otherwise playing in the new content like everyone else, you have to stay level 110 and quest in Legion zones below your level, THEN grind world quests for a month and finally THEN you'll be allowed to ACTUALLY play the selling point for which you bought BFA.

Yeah, I don't think Blizz thought this one through.

Exactly.

As I said, having the requirement be complete the Highmountain Quests, Suramar Quests, etc. would be significantly better.

It ensures that the player has encountered the race and befriended them and done everything possible other than do mind numbing repetitive daily quests to appease them further.

For instance:

Highmountain Tauren: Complete the "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" achievement.
Nightborne: Complete the "Good Suramaritan" achievement.
Lightforged Draenei: Complete the "You are now Prepared!" achievement.
Void Elves: Complete the "You are now Prepared!" achievement. (Unless they add a new rep for void elves in 7.3.5)

This would be MUCH better than reputation requirements, and not force someone who wants to switch to Horde for the first time for Nightborne or Alliance for the first time for Void Elves to have to level another race on that faction to 110 and grind for a month or two just to unlock what they actually want to play.

This. The storyline achievement should be enough.
12/03/2017 10:01 PMPosted by Maizou
They should, but they don't. Was so mad when I found out, because as I said, my Horde was only 4k into honored after finishing all of Suramar.

You get rep now doing suramar, I went from Honored to nearly exhalted finishing the suramar questline, granted i was gone for a year returned like 3-4 weeks ago

I think they will require rep on one character and unlock account wide, but you might need a level 110 to do the questline, I doubt they would make it per alt/faction. So for those that grinded on their main arent suddenly penalized and forced to try to catch up esp since rep grinding on argus is tedious with Emissaries Proc rates for those 2 factions