Switching dh tank (are we trash in raiding?)

Demon Hunter
I just switched to Veng however, all of my gear is leaning towards havoc at the moment, Is this a major problem?
It's funny everyone still saying Blood/Bear as top tanks. Wrong. Even Sco come out and mentioned that Bears are horrible in M Antorus. In fact I'm pretty sure he was the only Bear so far to do Argus. The other tanks have been BrM, Blood, Pally and War. I don't think there is any Veng, maybe 1 or 2, currently on M Argus. But with that said, DH would be very viable for Argus, being able to mitigate the Scythes.
Only trash for progression mythic content. viable everywhere else. Exceptional in M+.
12/25/2017 10:42 PMPosted by Kaosdamon
It's funny everyone still saying Blood/Bear as top tanks. Wrong. Even Sco come out and mentioned that Bears are horrible in M Antorus. In fact I'm pretty sure he was the only Bear so far to do Argus. The other tanks have been BrM, Blood, Pally and War. I don't think there is any Veng, maybe 1 or 2, currently on M Argus. But with that said, DH would be very viable for Argus, being able to mitigate the Scythes.

Blood/Monk, Bear, Warrior, Paladin, DH for Mythic Raid Antorus.

Doesnt mean that the DH or Warrior or Paladin arent viable either.
12/22/2017 09:01 PMPosted by Idoneus
12/22/2017 12:57 PMPosted by Ginjuice

N and H really doesn't matter which tank you bring. It's M when tanks start to matter since they need every little bit of advantage for the fight.

If you're only doing N and H then play whatever tank you enjoy playing the most.

However, I really don't see how VDHs can tank M Argus with the amount of scythe damage he does. VDHs just don't have the constant/reliable amount of CDs to make it work in P2/P3 of that fight as it stands.

I haven't done it yet, but I can't imagine we struggle. I think the only one can probably take more stacks than us are monks. Our weakness is constant damage, not intermittent when we can just spike for each (stronger than most tank's AM), have 20% base, have meta, LR, brand (HUGE, gets 3 scythes if I recall), and painbringer.

DHs have weaknesses, and we definitely aren't a top tier tank--but it's not because of scythe damage on Argus lol. DHs mitigate more damage than basically any other tank (we just do it a bit inconsistently).

I noticed you use 4pc 21 and Cosmic Sliver. Whats the overall CD on your Meta with all of those? I'm guessing it's pretty short in M+.
12/26/2017 12:33 PMPosted by Ginjuice

I haven't done it yet, but I can't imagine we struggle. I think the only one can probably take more stacks than us are monks. Our weakness is constant damage, not intermittent when we can just spike for each (stronger than most tank's AM), have 20% base, have meta, LR, brand (HUGE, gets 3 scythes if I recall), and painbringer.

DHs have weaknesses, and we definitely aren't a top tier tank--but it's not because of scythe damage on Argus lol. DHs mitigate more damage than basically any other tank (we just do it a bit inconsistently).

I noticed you use 4pc 21 and Cosmic Sliver. Whats the overall CD on your Meta with all of those? I'm guessing it's pretty short in M+.

I logged out in this (haven't been online for days since travelling) but I actually use sliver very rarely. It's decent, but not necessary that often. I only got to try it and 4pc on tyran week though, this week with large fort pulls I would probably use it a lot more.
If you're doing normal, you should be fine running DH, H and higher I would recommend you pick something else. Without having Oblivion's Embrace, you don't even have the basic active mitigation capabilities of the other tanks.
12/26/2017 04:40 PMPosted by Soliloquy
If you're doing normal, you should be fine running DH, H and higher I would recommend you pick something else. Without having Oblivion's Embrace, you don't even have the basic active mitigation capabilities of the other tanks.

I don't have that and Heroic has been a breeze.
Believe me, we WERE trash even in Heroic level, but not anylonger. Cant and wont speak about mythic but I am sure there are VDH that tanked up to M Coven.
Maybe we are ok now, and I wouldnt be surprised that we are. The problem is that the development team screwed up tank balance till NH - when we were trash tier - and people are still unsure about VDH specially when there are waaay better options for the hardest bosses.
VDH: fun, but underpowered. Can do really nice things. Do not pick this tank if you plan to tank M Aggramar or M Argus before 7.3.5; pick it for any damn other situation
12/16/2017 01:03 PMPosted by Hankypoo
Most people who complain about Demon Hunter tanks are simply playing the class wrong. They are improperly specked and are not using their mitigation abilities properly and are not healing themselves properly. In the right hands Demon Hunter tanks are more powerful then any tanks out there.

sorry, but this isn't true

lol where did he say that?? Link it, because nothing I've seen of his indicates this at all.
12/28/2017 02:39 PMPosted by Territorial
lol where did he say that?? Link it, because nothing I've seen of his indicates this at all.

Just look at wowprogress.com and view raid setup for Argus Kills

Argus kills top 10 guilds
DK 3
Monk 10
Druid 6
Warrior 2
DH = 0
Paladin = 1

10 Bleached Bones = DK/BrM/Warrior
9 Aversion = Druid/Warrior/Paladin
8 FatSharkYes = Druid/Druid/BrM
7 ScrubBusters = BrM/Warrior
6 Pieces = DK/BrM/Druid
5 Limit = BrM/BrM
4 Chinese Guild = No Raid Setup Listed
3 Memento = BrM/Druid
2 exorsus = BrM/BrM
1 Method = DK/BrM/Druid
Tanked all bosses in H TBT and had no real issues with any of them.

I'd say the hardest boss to tank was Agrammar because of his consistent high damage output. I actually died during the fight (twice if you count LR proc) and needed to be Brez'd on our first kill.

All other bosses were pretty easy in terms of tanking.

wat

Bears are still the best overall tanks for TBT. As it stands they are still first or second most used tanks for M Argus and most overall used tanks for progression raiding.

There is just NO DISPUTING that they have been THE BEST tanks of Legion. From EN all the way to TBT, they've been #1.

VDH is still excellent for PvP and M+ though, so I'm not complaining. They're also the most fun tanks I've found to play, so won't be switching just to play a FOTM (or for Bear's case FOTExpansion).
12/29/2017 01:37 PMPosted by Ginjuice
Tanked all bosses in H TBT and had no real issues with any of them.

I'd say the hardest boss to tank was Agrammar because of his consistent high damage output. I actually died during the fight (twice if you count LR proc) and needed to be Brez'd on our first kill.

All other bosses were pretty easy in terms of tanking.

What type of damage did you find yourself having trouble mitigating?
12/26/2017 12:33 PMPosted by Ginjuice

I use a 940 Cosmic Sliver w/ 4pc, and it's nuts. My uptime on Meta is probably 30-40% in raids, and way over 50% in M+. Doing Heroic Argus, I can usually hit 10-11 stacks before I die because I can pop Meta twice while I'm tankin him, and use Spikes/Brand between metas.