Curious why Mac over PC for WoW?

Mac Technical Support
11/10/2018 07:00 PMPosted by Prawda
So they play WoW on a Mac because the Mac is the computer they have.

And in addition to this I would add:

And they could make that choice because for over a decade of WoW's existence, Mac support has been pretty decent. It's only fairly recently that we've seen macOS performance really nose-dive and witnessed Blizzard's response to the Mac community wither.

I personally would love to see Blizzard return to the kind of Mac support they offered 'back in the day'. It may have taken them longer to respond to our issues than it did a Windows-related performance issue, but they actually listened and implemented change. Now it seems like we just get MVPs telling us why macOS / Apple is inferior in general, instead of anyone actually addressing the game issues.
I've used Macs since I was a freshman in college (1985). I have also used Windows over the years, mostly for work stuff.

So, I play WoW on macOS because I have a Mac. I have a Mac because I don't like Windows. It's that simple.

For what its worth. My home system is a Hackintosh. I can dual boot into Windows or MacOS. I played WoW using both OS's just see how they compare. Operation and performance are identical with the exception of using Command key vs Control key.

The graphics are equal in terms of frame rates and resolution.

I choose MacOS because I like it better.
11/10/2018 07:00 PMPosted by Prawda
I suspect very few people choose a Mac in order to play WoW. In the great majority of cases, they chose a Mac for everything else they do in front of a computer. So they play WoW on a Mac because the Mac is the computer they have.

Not here. I don't have a Mac. I have a home-built Hackintosh. I prefer to use MacOS for my daily work (sound/video editing) and it's a pain in the !@# just to reboot to Windows only to play games.

If I'm spending most of my gaming time in WoW, as I am currently, I basically never reboot to Windows.

There's also the advantage that the Mac's built in screen-capture and screen recording tools are way easier (for me at least) to quickly cap footage with.
I got tired of maintaining my PCs, both hardware and software, mainly from being older and busier.

Not too long ago, there was no apple store. apple actually had like the most infamous reputation around for support, famously bad non-existent support, really horrible, can't say that enough.

But .. for whatever reason, that changed. They hired some retail executive to remake support and the apple store was born. And it is great. I literally just drop off broken crap and most of the time it's fixed for free. Not sure if it's that good anymore (haven't had breaks in a while) but it has been.

today though, the decision to purchase a new mac is a careful one. they obsolete their machines too quickly now. the change from 32 to 64 was painful too, support was dropped more quickly for 32 hardware than I would have liked.

buy another mac, maybe. the price difference between mac/pc is getting bigger.
11/13/2018 06:58 AMPosted by Zahruk
I got tired of maintaining my PCs, both hardware and software, mainly from being older and busier.

Not too long ago, there was no apple store. apple actually had like the most infamous reputation around for support, famously bad non-existent support, really horrible, can't say that enough.

But .. for whatever reason, that changed. They hired some retail executive to remake support and the apple store was born. And it is great. I literally just drop off broken crap and most of the time it's fixed for free. Not sure if it's that good anymore (haven't had breaks in a while) but it has been.

today though, the decision to purchase a new mac is a careful one. they obsolete their machines too quickly now. the change from 32 to 64 was painful too, support was dropped more quickly for 32 hardware than I would have liked.

buy another mac, maybe. the price difference between mac/pc is getting bigger.

to be honest, the transition to 64 dates back from the last Power Mac, they where the first to have 64 bit capable machines, so that's what 12plus years ago.

also the price difference you need to compare apples to apples, and not to applesauce ;-)

if you spec a comparable Dell workstation, you end up very close.
but yes PC have better hardware options available, and when you go consumer side the buy in price of Apple products is steeper.

When i hear my colleagues having BSOD's a lot with their Dell laptops that are just a smidge cheaper than mine, i'm happy i went the Apple route.