Why I want to play Vanilla

Classic Discussion
I vividly remember picking World of Warcraft off the shelf at Target with my dad, and convincing him to buy it for me because I thought the elf on the cover was so pretty. I then had to convince him to pay my subscription, because neither of us realized that it came with a subscription, but I was daddy's little girl, and I got what I wanted. (Spoiled, yes. I'll acknowledge that.)

I made character after character, all Night Elves, trying all the different classes (up to level 4 or so, since I was like 12 and couldn't focus on anything for long). I settled on Druid (because of the one in the cinematic! She was everything I wanted to be!), and sloooooooooooooooooooooowly, very slowly, started leveling her. I named her Kida, after the princess in the Atlantis movie.

I spent the vast, vast majority of my time running around doing nothing, just having fun, enjoying myself, talking to my guildmates, going to our RP events in Darnassus where I learned how emotes worked. /salute

And the whole time I played, I heard about all the cool stuff everyone who was higher level than me got to do. With my slow leveling and being 12 and not quite career-focused at that point in life, I celebrated getting to level 30 because I thought I was halfway there. Raiding sounded like a magical experience. Un'Goro Crater and Silithus were the mythical other dimensions that only the cool kids knew about.

I guess what I'm getting at is that what I'm most excited about with live classic launching is getting a second chance, now that I know what's going on, to earn my place doing all those things that only the true no-lifers did, back then (and of course, I use that as a term of utmost respect and admiration. It was my DREAM to not have to log off to do homework and go to bed on time!)

So yeah. I'm pumped, for vanilla, in all its grindy, unbalanced, polygonal glory. I'm so ready to run my Night Elf druid from Darnassus to Stormwind, the old fashioned way, through the Wetlands, for no particular reason. And to finally fill the level-60-druid-shaped hole in my heart.
I'm in the same boat, sister.

I started playing WoW about a year before Burning Crusade was announced. My first character was a hunter because their abilities looked really cool to me and thought it'd be awesome to have a big tiger as a pet I could name after my cat. I picked a Night Elf like most kids and was immediately spellbound by the beauty of Teldrassil.

I spent most of those first few hours just exploring Shadowglen, talking to npc's, looking at the shops, following (and killing) the animals, and getting lost in the spider's cave. When me and a couple of other noobs joined up we found camaraderie in our innocence, and when we left Shadowglen, kept running further along down the path, I remember thinking "Wait, there's no loading screen after leaving this area?" Little did I know at the time how massive the world truly was.

When we reached Dolanaar, we split up for the night, and never really reconnected. They both leveled up faster than me and I had school because hey, I was a kid. But I continued along. I grew, got my cat Charlie, and we emerged into Darnassus, which at the time I thought was a bustling metropolis until I eventually saw Ironforge. All I could do here completed, I left Teldrassil on the boat, realizing that I'm not just playing a video game, I'm in a whole new world.

So I did the quests in and around Darkshore, running into some new friends, and we all decided to try our hands in a dungeon. We never actually made it to the first boss in BlackFathom Deeps, it was too late into the night. Funny thing is, looking back, I don't think we even had a proper party set up. We may have had just two hunters, a priest and a druid. But before I had to log off, I thought that as a good luck parting gift, I gave the other hunter some of the better ammo I was saving for another time. She had apparently needed it pretty bad, so she gave me some potions in return.

It's that kind of player socialization that makes me excited for Classic servers.
Regardless of any of the changes good and bad It will *definately* be an amazing time. I want to go back into the old world before deathwing destroyed it. I want to visit ALL the instances this time. and stay stuck at a level until I run it. And if there is no LFG for instances I'm going to find a bunch of idiots like me and run into Org itself to get into ragefire dammit. And run them all in greens and blues and with a wierd combo of players. People I can sit there for like 2-3 hours just failing and winning back and forth with each pull. I think my affinity for just making alts and instance popping is just because I never knew there were so damn many out there when I first started, and even in live, I'm my happiest when I just am in there. Thats allllll I want. Gimme my old instances with no heirlooms and at least some kinda common sense!

I didn't so much like the grind. And I'm DEFINITELY staying away from Hillsbrad and Arathi.
That kinda crap was just unfair sometimes.
If you liked fun, music, messing around in Darnassus the 1st time around, may I suggest being an orc/troll blacksmith and messing around in Orgrimarr this time around.

You may want to youtube "MC Hammer" ahead of time in order to fully appreciate the reference :D
I envy your youth! I was like 24 when wow dropped. But I still had a vivid imagination, and I loved MMOs.

I guess I’m excited to play for the more engaging leveling experience. I was one of those “no lifers” I suppose. Despite being in the Army, I MADE time for a horrid raid schedule, and spent every moment not at work or deployed playing WoW.

I can’t dedicate that time anymore. I’m retired, but have even less time than before due to having a large family now (6 kids) but I’ll still play classic. I want to roll my hunter again and relive the class when it was hard. When the skill curve was huge. It’ll be fun.

I’m glad y’all are old enough to truly enjoy it now. Happy Gaming!
Like you, when I bought the CD I thought it was like Final Fantasy where you were joined by other NPC's. I didn't realize it was actually online.

I will never forget the first time I let the cat out of the bag and told my friend about my new pastime. I had to explain that all of the dots on the (pvp) map were other real people and this huddled group of cartoons all charging in the same direction were people just like me, sitting at home on their computers.

WoW has come some far since then. The changes that have come about over the years is nothing remotely close to what the game used to be like and I'm pretty sure the new Wow generations won't like it because back then nothing was instant, not even the rez. I can't imagine any of them making it back to their corpse let alone a mob of murlocs LOL.
12/01/2017 07:48 PMPosted by Pennyplague
Like you, when I bought the CD I thought it was like Final Fantasy where you were joined by other NPC's. I didn't realize it was actually online.

I will never forget the first time I let the cat out of the bag and told my friend about my new pastime. I had to explain that all of the dots on the (pvp) map were other real people and this huddled group of cartoons all charging in the same direction were people just like me, sitting at home on their computers.

WoW has come some far since then. The changes that have come about over the years is nothing remotely close to what the game used to be like and I'm pretty sure the new Wow generations won't like it because back then nothing was instant, not even the rez. I can't imagine any of them making it back to their corpse let alone a mob of murlocs LOL.

The murlocs in Elwywnn Forest will probably make a lot of people from retail quit before they even hit level 10. They aren't something to joke around with.
This is an awesome topic

First time I heard of wow i was at a friends house, I think we were about 17 and 18. He was showing us the game he has been playing as a night elf warrior. He was flying on a FP taking the boats for like 20 mins just to get to hammerfall to show us where was world pvp. it was like 30 on 30, the computer could barely handle the fps but it was just mayhem. Me and my other friend were like "These are all other people playing!?" It was amazing. My friend and I both got the game as soon as we could and we both started paladins, he got way ahead of me so i started out in Elwynn Forest all by myself. I remember thinking it was so peaceful in those woods and as i ventured into each new zone the new atmosphere would give me a certain feeling of excitement and even some fear of what the next challenge would be. TFW you first enter SW city....
protip to all you girls out there:
dont tell people playing WoW that you're a girl; even if you don't take advantage of it and act like a guy, and have been married for 50 years, the simple fact that you don't have a Y chromosome can still cause drama in guilds if they know about it

i still remember that one officer(the primary OT) from the last pserver guild i was in FREAKING OUT in gchat when a girl joined the guild and non-nonchalantly revealed her gender while i was getting ready to do strat dead, and then he'd presumably gotten a stern talking-to from the GM
it was one of the best guilds on the big server too, and realistically, it could've been much, much worse depending upon who was in the guild at the time, or maybe even just who was online then

some people don't really care, as they shouldn't, but they aren't everybody
12/01/2017 08:05 PMPosted by Anitharia
12/01/2017 07:48 PMPosted by Pennyplague

The murlocs in Elwywnn Forest will probably make a lot of people from retail quit before they even hit level 10. They aren't something to joke around with.

Yup! Above the lumber mill at the lake. Exactly what i was referring to! :)
When I was 14 or 15 we finally got an old school computer, our first real computer (we were poor). I was so hyped to actually play WoW, I read about it in Hyper magazine ages before that. I started with Undead Rogue and got to lvl 10 before I decided I wanted to be an Undead Warlock... and so on and so forth until I got that bug out of my system. I never could stand leveling.

So I did the next best thing and made a 19 Rogue NE female twink, and bugged my brothers to fund me and let me use their account to run me through instances.

And so I played on my 19 Rogue, even getting the cloth hat from the fishing tourny, and farming gold on my bigger brother's account to afford an Assassin's Blade.

Until Wrath of the Lich King and XP in Battlegrounds became a thing, WOOHOO! I leveled my new Draenei Hunter from 10 to 80 purely in battlegrounds.

The rest of the story is pretty boring actually... UNTIL CLASSIC SERVERS WERE ANNOUNCED, WOOHOO AGAIN!
Back in Vanilla my entire family played. My older siblings were hooked and after a short while, so was I. At the time, my family was all level 30 or so when I joined the squad. My dad let me play his shaman and I healed for a BFD group. I managed to get a copy of the game for myself (convincing my parents) as well as set up a game subscription.

I was puzzled as to what class to make my very first character...so my older brother walked over to my screen and he selected a Rogue before saying "Rogues are good... be a Rogue". Minutes later... I was wandering around aimlessly... trying to kill the low level mobs in Deathknell, spamming Sinister Strike relentlessly and nothing else.

I remember being so fascinated by the vastness of the world and always wanting to explore the high level content because I had a short attention span - quests were far too boring and I never read anything. I remember the moment I finally dinged 60 and thinking I had achieved the worlds biggest accomplishment. I had spent around 12 hours grinding mobs in Eastern Plaguelands to finish the grind off.

The game was truly epic and I am excited to indulge myself into the original zones and content in which got me hooked in the first place. I want to run around like a noob again, doing quest after quest, listening to the original soundtracks of the zones. There is something about Winterspring that will always put me at ease when I hear the original music.

Vanilla WoW was truly epic, and I am excited to say that I will be indulging myself in the classic servers when they are launched. My siblings heard the news and they will be joining again as well. The squad will be re-united!!!
Pure nostalgia.

Not condemning, just pointing out that these are the folks who may find they prefer Retail, now (after sifting through the old memories, savoring the scent).

Those who make the nostalgia claim are assuming that these posters are the vast majority of the Vanilla crowd.

I suspect they are wildly off the mark; that the vast majority of the Vanilla crowd simply prefers the old school mechanics.

And of course, there is substantial overlap here.
12/01/2017 08:05 PMPosted by Anitharia

I am Murloc!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHgRAlkpxJw
Why I want to play Vanilla :
- For the ability to cast Corruption in a Destruction and Demonology specs.
- Because the annoying tutorial from level 1 to 10 did not exist back in vanilla.
- Because night were actually night back in Vanilla. Light is so mess-up in Legion... what happened?!?
- Because I could not kill 4 creature of my level while geared in full white item and still be well over 30%.
- Because pulling a monster 4 level higher than you meant you were going to die painfully.
- And I miss so much more thing...

I reinstalled WoW for the first time since MOP yesterday and leveled a Warlock from 1 to 10..... I don't even want to play further in Legion with how WoW evolved....
I want to play vanilla in hopes of catching my class officer cybering at 3 AM in the ironforge inn and convincing him to give me next tier 2 drop on loot council, true story
You know, I can't remember where I bought my copy of WoW.

Hmm...

Nope. Gone totally blank. Must have been the only game store in town though right? lol
12/02/2017 09:35 AMPosted by Geshik

I was puzzled as to what class to make my very first character...so my older brother walked over to my screen and he selected a Rogue before saying "Rogues are good... be a Rogue". Minutes later... I was wandering around aimlessly... trying to kill the low level mobs in Deathknell, spamming Sinister Strike relentlessly and nothing else.

[/quote]

LOL I was so clueless at the start of classic. Before I discovered quivers, my Rogue was holding a caster intel book. I didn't realize it was a bad thing until I joined a random BG and someone said, "A book? OMG that Rogue is carrying a book"!

That was my introduction to stats and class appropriate gear.
12/02/2017 12:48 PMPosted by Pennyplague
LOL I was so clueless at the start of classic. Before I discovered quivers, my Rogue was holding a caster intel book. I didn't realize it was a bad thing until I joined a random BG and someone said, "A book? OMG that Rogue is carrying a book"!

That was my introduction to stats and class appropriate gear.

Obviously you were role playing as a scholar on the run from the law. I approve.