Why I want to play Vanilla

Classic Discussion
I first started playing WoW in (I think) September 2004 as an 18-year old fresh out of high school. I was lucky enough to get into the tail end of the closed beta. I made a Paladin and was immediately enthralled by the game. My two brothers watched as I traversed Westfall, slowly smacked the life out of gnolls, fled from a school of murlocs, and got lost in the overworld portion of the Deadmines. I was even gracious enough to let them play a little. Holyshape (the First) ended his career in Duskwood as a level 2X.

WoW open beta was launched to stress test the servers and we all immediately jumped in to play. Everything seemed to go relatively smoothly then. My new Paladin, Holyshape (the Second) had made an adventuring companion: my twin created a human mage. My other brother made a smelly dwarf, so we never did meet up. Elwynn's gnolls never knew what hit them. The stress test beta only lasted a short time (like 2 weeks) so I retired some time in Westfall as a 1X.

Release day could not come soon enough. I still had World of Warcraft loaded on my computer, but I couldn't play it. I ended up launching the game a ton just so I could listen to the music with a hollow feeling inside.

But release day did come! After slowly logging in and making Holyshape (the Third, this guy <---- ) I entered the world of the Azgalor server...and hell. For 3ish days the servers were an absolute mess! Stability was such that for the entire first 3 days of trying to play I may have made level 10. To be so close to that long awaited MMO RPG bliss only to suffer from constant server outages and world lag was almost unbearable.

Still we persevered. Dad saw how much fun we were having and also purchased the game. Mom was furious that her whole family was playing some ridiculous computer game. I worked on her for an entire year and FINALLY she came around to come play with us. She made a Paladin and I showed her everything there was to learn about the game. The five of us completed many quests, annihilated many dungeons, ganked horde, was ganked by horde, and made friends for a long time thereafter.

Is this nostalgic? You bet! But I also remember what Vanilla was like and I would play it, bugs and all, to have and build a community like we had in Vanilla. We knew most of the guilds on the server, many of the players by reputation, our rivals on the Horde side, who to party with and not with, EVERYTHING.

My family from then and now will be joining me in playing again when Classic is released. I look forward to meeting you all in game and building our own community, even if you play the opposite faction.
Oh boy, the good old days.

I was 12 also when I got into WoW. Was I ever blown away by the lore, and after spending what felt like hours on the character select screen, I finally settled on a Night Elf hunter.

I remember just being blown away by everything. The scope of the game, the interaction with other players, the wonder and awe when first stepping into Darnassus.

I wasn't rushed back then, and while I had goals, I never took them that seriously. I took my time, PvPed as much as possible, held dueling tournaments, helped out guildies when they required and spent way too much time inspecting others inside the capital cities.

I was a noob. By 60 I became a pretty decent noob at PvP. I can't wait to roll Undead Mage and be a force to reckon with now that I know what I know.

Please hurry Blizzard!! & thank you for finally doing this
I mainly want to play Classic WoW because I don't find current WoW to be enjoyable anymore.

Back in Classic WoW any type of accomplishments such as acquiring gear was exciting.

Getting purple gear in current WoW isn't even that exciting anymore because it literally drops all the time.
I was in my mid 20s when Vanilla came out. Didn't really have time to raid then, and I'm not sure I will in Classic either. Vanilla was always about the rpg experience for me. Simply reveling in an awesome online world, having adventures with friends and enjoying the journey. I came from muds before that, which was pretty much entirely about just going around and killing things and having a social experience. Lines of text were replaced with nice graphics and I was hooked.

As far as Classic goes...I don't know if I'll raid here either. If I have time, maybe. But it wasn't the focus of Vanilla and it shouldn't be of Classic. I'll spend a TON of time just leveling characters. Years committed just to that end. At max level...traveling the world, explore, run lowbies through dungeons, work on my professions, hand out free bags to lowbies in starting areas, pvp like crazy, do random dungeons with guildies and friends.

Raiding is just a very minor part of the Vanilla experience. It's great to have an other opportunity if you missed out, but I hope players realize it's not the focal point of the game like it is of Legion. 'Raid or die' mentality has no place in Classic.
Got into the beta after a bunch of people from work said that the game was a lot of fun. Leveling in Elwyn, grouping to take down those damn murlocs, Hogger, Princess, the Defias brotherhood...was a lot of fun. But the moment I fell in love with WoW was the first time doing Deadmines (VC). When my group blew open the door and I viewed that giant ship, "Oh !@#$ it's on now."

Every few levels I would run into similar great experiences....both solo and in groups, in dungeons and out. When I finally started level 60 instances, especially Scholo and Strat, I wondered, "how does anyone defeat this stuff" and "How much harder is raiding?"

Once I got into raiding and my raid group had our first kills in MC, BWL, and AQ40......they were all amazing. Bringing other players on alts, subbing in players that had never been in a raid, gearing people up.....all just for the fun of it. It was a great community and you know what? Maybe Tichondrius is for everbody.......nah, "Tich is not for you!"....but classic sure is.

= ]
I'm a spoiled, late to Vanilla baby, but even I have my reasons ...

I was vaguely aware of Everquest (EverCrack with adults unable to manage their lives around their raiding) and WOW being released, but for all I'd loved Warcraft III, I wasn't hyped for a monthly subscription.

At some point in there my older daughter was playing (given up for open adoption so her parents were paying rather than me) and showed off her tauren that she raided on, and also tried to log in on her night elf who was in IF only to have that turn into a 30-minute lagfest trying to get out of the city.

Still not ready for a monthly sub, April 2005 Guild Wars came out - the big hype being pay for the game, no monthly sub. I played that enough to have two accounts, 6 max level characters (level 20) and 2 characters at outrageous levels still in the starter zone (usually moved on by level 8-10), have done the final raiding and gear crafting, and spend most of my time /sync /dancing in town and selling dyes and harder to find quest items.

The expansion Factions came out in April 2006, but soon I had done most of the questing on 4 characters and the 2 new characters with the new classes and was getting bored again.

Then my son's friends wanted to play WOW and he with them, so he started on a campaign to at least get to try it. I relented. June 20th, apparently the same day as the Naxx patch, we got the game installed on our computer. I was going to use the trial key included and at least have something new to play for a couple weeks, but he goofed and used that to create his account and I used the full account key without realizing it. Cue another trip to the game store, another box, and both of us having a free month of game time.

I started a male tauren warrior, did the starting zone, then ran toward the first city. My daughter came to meet my son and I, and had a hissy fit about me rolling male. >_< Log off, delete, create female troll rogue. A whole new starting zone with its own quests. It was eye-opening. My son and his friends were alliance, so I also rolled a dwarf hunter. Again, a whole new starting zone with its own quests.

Even more amazing was getting to the cities. In Guild Wars, the world is actually instanced with the cities being sharded for population size. Taking the elevator up to Thunderbluff without a loading screen, without any difference in who I saw in the world around me, was mind-blowing. Flying to Orgrimmar went right over zones I would later run through.

I was sold.

There are just so many comparisons I could make, and many of them were also what made vanilla WOW so much more appealing to me than what WOW: Retail has turned into.

* Classes having access to all the class spells, and talent trees adding more or boosting specific ones - nothing limited except by level and what talents I've chosen and what I can't get because I don't have enough points.
* The sheer quantity of zones and quests, two whole continents full of things to do.
* The lack of NPC mercenaries to fill out a group. (LOL, that's about what having the companions in Legion was like.)
12/01/2017 08:21 PMPosted by Tarregor
protip to all you girls out there:
dont tell people playing WoW that you're a girl; even if you don't take advantage of it and act like a guy, and have been married for 50 years, the simple fact that you don't have a Y chromosome can still cause drama in guilds if they know about it

i still remember that one officer(the primary OT) from the last pserver guild i was in FREAKING OUT in gchat when a girl joined the guild and non-nonchalantly revealed her gender while i was getting ready to do strat dead, and then he'd presumably gotten a stern talking-to from the GM

Women make up a non-trivial proportion of retail WoW's subscriber base at this time, or last I heard. Something as high as 35-40% and that was around MoP, I think. Yo bois on the pservers gonna have to do some growing up and learn how to deal with having those "girls" around on WoW: Classic because I suspect more than a few will join us there.
12/01/2017 08:21 PMPosted by Tarregor
protip to all you girls out there:
dont tell people playing WoW that you're a girl; even if you don't take advantage of it and act like a guy, and have been married for 50 years, the simple fact that you don't have a Y chromosome can still cause drama in guilds if they know about it

I never once had an issue with this, but I've also never in my WOW career called myself a "girl". I'm a woman and never hid that. My XX chromosomes never once caused an issue in a group, raid, guild, or otherwise. At most I laughed at idiotrolls with their "no wimmenz on the interwebz" because of what it revealed about their age and intelligence. (My youngest child when I started playing was 14, older than some of the people I grouped with or RP'd with.)

Heck, when I was MT in a progression raid guild in Wrath, we had several couples (one got married before I left the guild) and other single women of varying ages. We used voice, so I'm not padding those numbers. We had no gender-related drama. We even had minimal gear drama, though admittedly that was Wrath and most of us had a clue from raiding in BC.
I think the only time I ever had a 'problem' in WoW was when I got 'stuck' in a group with this '12-year old kid' in Stratholme. The other four players ended up entering a separate chat channel to comment on the kid.

Initially the channel was to coordinate killing the kid's toon, in different ways, and laughing about this his comments but this all changed at some point. As we continued through Strat we started working together to keep this kid alive and help him be a better player; maybe even a better person.

What started off as a group, which I was on the verge of quitting after 15 minutes, but grew into one of the most memorable times of my life. We ended up clearing both sides of Strat and as we felled the last boss the kid asked us if he could add us all to his friends list....because we were the best group he had ever been in.

I always wonder about those people, that I spent a couple hours of time with so many years ago, and hope they are all doing well in life.

That is the game that I hope to revisit when classic comes out.
Some minor things to make the game easier like portals to each of the main cities
It was a long walk from Darnassus to Stormwind back then

Being able to get full rep from Gray quests
12/04/2017 06:56 PMPosted by Yadomaru
Some minor things to make the game easier like portals to each of the main cities
It was a long walk from Darnassus to Stormwind back then

Being able to get full rep from Gray quests

What made vanilla great was that it wasn't supposed to be easier. It presented us with an expansive, huge world that just took time to cross.

No changes.
I just miss the backseat the game took for itself. People rush now to get to max level to play the game, but vanilla leveling was the game. I'll never forget leveling my hunter. Trying to find that small upgrade from a quest *especially a bow* or getting into an elite quest and the healers bomb healing my bear because let's face it those buggers hit hard.

I didn't even mind flying from one area to another for a quest because it actually made sense *most of the time*

Doing gnomeregan for the first time god it felt like a raid to me that place and killing the last boss of the dungeon was so satisfying even if we wiped to the ambassador "hated those flame adds"
I always tried to help people with quests because as a hunter questing is our dominate trait. A tank in a box, the ability to kite anything, tracking, traps... I miss my pet macros

"attack the skull target hunters!"

*immediatly aim shots the target without the skull with an evil grin*

Let's not forget dying every time you used multishot at the start of a mob pull!
All I want is another shot at Quel'Serrar.
I merely want to play Vanilla because I long for the days where I could have fun actually exploring areas. It's the same reason I'm excited for the Leveling revamps.

I still remember being level 35, finding a level 40 quest in the hills behind Deadmines, and going on a journey to get some materials for a brewer so he could make me a boot flask, then getting that boot flask, getting drunk, and breathing fire on my enemies.

I remember using an Axe for 15 levels straight at one point, then getting Nightblade to drop for me at level 41, then going back and leveling up my sword skill specifically so I could use it because it was Purple, and that was new to me and cool as heck, even if the weapon was bad.

I miss being an adventurer, having fun exploring the world and just enjoying what I had.
12/02/2017 06:05 PMPosted by Mogar
I was in my mid 20s when Vanilla came out. Didn't really have time to raid then, and I'm not sure I will in Classic either. Vanilla was always about the rpg experience for me. Simply reveling in an awesome online world, having adventures with friends and enjoying the journey. I came from muds before that, which was pretty much entirely about just going around and killing things and having a social experience. Lines of text were replaced with nice graphics and I was hooked.

As far as Classic goes...I don't know if I'll raid here either. If I have time, maybe. But it wasn't the focus of Vanilla and it shouldn't be of Classic. I'll spend a TON of time just leveling characters. Years committed just to that end. At max level...traveling the world, explore, run lowbies through dungeons, work on my professions, hand out free bags to lowbies in starting areas, pvp like crazy, do random dungeons with guildies and friends.

Raiding is just a very minor part of the Vanilla experience. It's great to have an other opportunity if you missed out, but I hope players realize it's not the focal point of the game like it is of Legion. 'Raid or die' mentality has no place in Classic.

I appreciate your perspective, but raid or die was the deal for some of us back then.
12/04/2017 01:11 PMPosted by Eilethalua
I'm a spoiled, late to Vanilla baby, but even I have my reasons ...

I was vaguely aware of Everquest (EverCrack with adults unable to manage their lives around their raiding) and WOW being released, but for all I'd loved Warcraft III, I wasn't hyped for a monthly subscription.

At some point in there my older daughter was playing (given up for open adoption so her parents were paying rather than me) and showed off her tauren that she raided on, and also tried to log in on her night elf who was in IF only to have that turn into a 30-minute lagfest trying to get out of the city.

Still not ready for a monthly sub, April 2005 Guild Wars came out - the big hype being pay for the game, no monthly sub. I played that enough to have two accounts, 6 max level characters (level 20) and 2 characters at outrageous levels still in the starter zone (usually moved on by level 8-10), have done the final raiding and gear crafting, and spend most of my time /sync /dancing in town and selling dyes and harder to find quest items.

The expansion Factions came out in April 2006, but soon I had done most of the questing on 4 characters and the 2 new characters with the new classes and was getting bored again.

Then my son's friends wanted to play WOW and he with them, so he started on a campaign to at least get to try it. I relented. June 20th, apparently the same day as the Naxx patch, we got the game installed on our computer. I was going to use the trial key included and at least have something new to play for a couple weeks, but he goofed and used that to create his account and I used the full account key without realizing it. Cue another trip to the game store, another box, and both of us having a free month of game time.

I started a male tauren warrior, did the starting zone, then ran toward the first city. My daughter came to meet my son and I, and had a hissy fit about me rolling male. >_< Log off, delete, create female troll rogue. A whole new starting zone with its own quests. It was eye-opening. My son and his friends were alliance, so I also rolled a dwarf hunter. Again, a whole new starting zone with its own quests.

Even more amazing was getting to the cities. In Guild Wars, the world is actually instanced with the cities being sharded for population size. Taking the elevator up to Thunderbluff without a loading screen, without any difference in who I saw in the world around me, was mind-blowing. Flying to Orgrimmar went right over zones I would later run through.

I was sold.

There are just so many comparisons I could make, and many of them were also what made vanilla WOW so much more appealing to me than what WOW: Retail has turned into.

* Classes having access to all the class spells, and talent trees adding more or boosting specific ones - nothing limited except by level and what talents I've chosen and what I can't get because I don't have enough points.
* The sheer quantity of zones and quests, two whole continents full of things to do.
* The lack of NPC mercenaries to fill out a group. (LOL, that's about what having the companions in Legion was like.)

I was like you. When I finally got some high speed internet I chose Guild Wars because I didn't have to pay a monthly fee for it. I loved that game, but after playing the game for about 6 months, 2 guys I worked with gave me a 10 day trial, and the rest was history. I loved professions, jumping, swimming, different races, and 1 big connected world, which were things not in Guild Wars.
I'm going to be playing vanilla specifically to carry my dad's legacy. I used to watch him tank in raids all the time even when I had my own account as a kid. I remember watching him MT vanilla naxxramas all night while on vent with the guildies. Not sure if he ever cleared KT but I want to take his spot and be what he was. Something I was only able to dream about at the time.
I started in mid/late January 2005 myself.
Reflecting back on it, Cata was perhaps one of the saddest says in WoW as we lost the old world.
There's no reason someone can't both be nostalgic AND prefer the original game design at the same time. This is a great post, OP, and I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I personally was not new to MMO's when WoW came out, having played Final Fantasy XI prior to it (which was another fantastic old school MMO ruined by future changes). But I distinctly remember pining for it while visiting the pre-launch website constantly and looking at all classes and races and stuff and imagining what I would do in the game. I was also in a pre-launch guild that was full of people as eager to play as I was.

When I finally got to play it in the open beta, I made a dwarf paladin and spec'd him protection while leveling and wanted to try to tank. I had no clue, lol. I had a blast, though, doing the early quests of Dun Morogh and Loch Modan and I distinctly recall the open beta ending soon so I decided to start exploring other areas to see them before it went down. I made it to Wetlands and ran around checking it out before the server went down. I remember running through the dwarven tunnel areas with the orcs in between (you know the spot) on my way to wetlands and being in awe of how cool the environmental design was. Keep in mind, I had come from FFXI where the environment, while pretty cool, was not designed nearly as vertically or adventurously as WoW, and there were loading screens between each zone. Once open beta ended, I already knew that WoW was every bit the game I had hoped it would be and then some, and I couldn't have been more excited to play the launch.

When I made my first character on the real servers, I once again made a Paladin with the purpose to tank (I was a tank Paladin in FFXI and assumed it was going to be good) and leveled him up very slowly without even realizing ret was the way you should level. I never once played ret spec. I got all the way to max level slowly questing as protection. At high levels, my guild started asking me to heal and I realized how much better Paladin was at healing than tanking. At this point, I did it for a while and had some fun, but it wasn't really my cup of tea compared to FFXI Paladin tank. I kept getting owned by Mages who were two shotting me from a million miles away and thought that seemed pretty cool, so I rerolled Mage after a few months of playing Paladin.

I absolutely loved the crap out of mage in every way and played it for the entirety of vanilla thereafter. I loved being able to port around places, farm easily, always have food and water, being able to turn people in sheep, and absolutely exploding people in PvP. PvP was almost all I did, and I miss everything about PvP on my mage in vanilla. My highest accomplishment was Field Marshal. Thus, I was a true "no lifer" in PvP experiences.

What still draws me to playing WoW is that I have yet to actually ever do any raids besides the early ones. I want to do AQ40 and Naxx as they were in retail. I could do it on private servers now, but since WoW Classic was announced, I have had no desire to take part in private servers anymore. I'm finally going to my real home. This time, hopefully it never gets changed or taken away again. I want everyone to experience what I did. I can't wait to go back.
12/01/2017 06:38 PMPosted by Miewyn
I vividly remember picking World of Warcraft off the shelf at Target with my dad, and convincing him to buy it for me because I thought the elf on the cover was so pretty. I then had to convince him to pay my subscription, because neither of us realized that it came with a subscription, but I was daddy's little girl, and I got what I wanted. (Spoiled, yes. I'll acknowledge that.)

I made character after character, all Night Elves, trying all the different classes (up to level 4 or so, since I was like 12 and couldn't focus on anything for long). I settled on Druid (because of the one in the cinematic! She was everything I wanted to be!), and sloooooooooooooooooooooowly, very slowly, started leveling her. I named her Kida, after the princess in the Atlantis movie.

I spent the vast, vast majority of my time running around doing nothing, just having fun, enjoying myself, talking to my guildmates, going to our RP events in Darnassus where I learned how emotes worked. /salute

And the whole time I played, I heard about all the cool stuff everyone who was higher level than me got to do. With my slow leveling and being 12 and not quite career-focused at that point in life, I celebrated getting to level 30 because I thought I was halfway there. Raiding sounded like a magical experience. Un'Goro Crater and Silithus were the mythical other dimensions that only the cool kids knew about.

I guess what I'm getting at is that what I'm most excited about with live classic launching is getting a second chance, now that I know what's going on, to earn my place doing all those things that only the true no-lifers did, back then (and of course, I use that as a term of utmost respect and admiration. It was my DREAM to not have to log off to do homework and go to bed on time!)

So yeah. I'm pumped, for vanilla, in all its grindy, unbalanced, polygonal glory. I'm so ready to run my Night Elf druid from Darnassus to Stormwind, the old fashioned way, through the Wetlands, for no particular reason. And to finally fill the level-60-druid-shaped hole in my heart.

<3 you Miewyn.
ye brought me tears of joy.
I never wanted to leave
Teldrassil, barely Darkshore.

Hope I see ya in home, at Shadowglenn.