Can a VPN still give false postives?

Customer Support
I remember years ago a ban wave went out for botters some innocent people was swept up as cheaters because the VPN they was using was the same as some of the botters so their account was flagged due to being tied to that IP as well.

I read the post where blues say they can cause issues if you switch servers all the time and appears you are logging in from all over the planet while not supported you should be fine if you stick to one server.

If a ban wave goes out and botters are using the same VPN server as I'm using would I also be banned? I do have an authenticator on my account.

I'm just asking because my last VPN provider had split tunneling which made this a non issue but my new one does not so it's on or off system wide.

Thanks for any info.
11/17/2017 09:36 PMPosted by Heftybags
If a ban wave goes out and botters are using the same VPN server as I'm using would I also be banned? I do have an authenticator on my account.

I'm just asking because my last VPN provider had split tunneling which made this a non issue but my new one does not so it's on or off system wide.

Don't quote me on this.

But is your VPN static or dynamic? The one I use is static and I haven't been slammed yet, but there's always a risk when using masking tech. So long as the IP provided by the service you use remains constant, I wouldn't worry too too much about it.

The good thing is, if you do happen to get swept up as a false positive, Blizzard does offer the appealing system for situations like this.
Short answer is yes, but Blizzard's security folks do try to make sure they aren't catching legitimate VPNs in the bans. If you do get caught though, that's what the appeals system is for.
Marked As Solution
To clarify a bit, using a VPN to connect to Blizzard games is "unsupported".

What this means is that Blizzard cannot guarantee that it will work - or that you won't run into unexpected problems (such as a false-positive account penalty) while using it.

Now that the rear-covering is out of the way...

You generally won't have those problems and it generally will work just fine.

You can further minimize your risks by ensuring that you're always connecting through the VPN, and as Ekon mentioned, using a static IP if at all possible. Attaching an Authenticator to your account and enabling the SMS Protect feature will relax some of the security system's paranoia - and make it easier to get back into your account if something goes wrong.

Blizzard's security systems rely on (among other things) GeoIP location. So if they see you rapidly moving from New York City to Dallas (because your VPN exits there), their servers are going to start raising red flags. VPNs (and proxies) are also used very often by people doing malicious things with accounts (theft, botting, etc.) to disguise the origin of their activity.
I'm also guessing that their tech got better since early Lich King on detecting cheaters vs regular folks using a VPN after all there are more people that use VPN's for legit reasons than botting.

I can pin a server so I connect to the same one each time I log in, I also have a dedicated IP with but that IP is located in Canada and my WoW server is in Phoenix so I don't want to be jumping countries when I connect. I went to add SMS to my account but it's already on there I thought I removed a while ago.

I guess I'll find a server that meets my needs and pin it then cross my fingers that I don't run into issues down the road.

Thanks for the replies!
11/18/2017 07:29 AMPosted by Heftybags
WoW server is in Phoenix

One small clarification, there are no WoW servers in Phoenix anymore. That datacenter was closed years ago. Lately they have been running out of Los Angeles and Chicago.
Ha, I didn't know that last time I checked was years ago when it moved from Seattle to Phoenix, I guess if the LA VPN server as good speeds I'll pick that one.
My guess is there are fewer false positives now, since VPN use is pretty common.

I think they went to just detecting naughty programs, so much so that the naughty program is actually closing/unsupported now (the one people posted about.)

I've been using a VPN when I went to connect to these boards, it just says something about needing more verification and they email me a code that I enter in as well. Then I can connect, even though I'm using a VPN. I try to remember to turn off the VPN, though, before going into the game.