Significant Rework of Demo in BfA

Warlock
In today's Q&A, Ion acknowledged that Demo's changes in Legion weren't a fully successful experiment.

The execution of the Demo fantasy was less cool than what they had originally envisioned (i.e. a master of demon summoning with an army of demons at your command). A long ramp-up time and a "maintenancey" feel didn't make players feel empowered. Players were just juggling a bunch of stuff and worrying about that.

So, Ion expects Demo to see a pretty significant rework in the next expansion.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/201749024?t=58m39s
Specifically, he was calling out how much of a "maintenance" feel the spec and Survival had, as both felt less like you were having big moments and more like you were just juggling things to stay above water.
as is tradition
Hmm yes.. bring back MoP demo.. spec fixed..
Pretty sure legions demo was the original direction they were going to go with it in mop, but then wisely decided against it. Don't know why they went back to it for legion. I await the real demo to return.
Well, not playing my Lock toon until july 2018 i guess
Can look at the bright side of this, Demo is definitely getting looked at and we have an actual timeline for our animations. I highly doubt that Demo will take any other form than it's current as far as fantasy is concerned, but hopefully they make some changes to at least make it fun again.
11/16/2017 12:46 PMPosted by Ebonymoon
Pretty sure legions demo was the original direction they were going to go with it in mop, but then wisely decided against it. Don't know why they went back to it for legion. I await the real demo to return.

they had to 'make way' for demon hunters....
11/16/2017 08:13 PMPosted by Nadaeya
11/16/2017 12:46 PMPosted by Ebonymoon

they had to 'make way' for demon hunters....

Get over it. You're not getting meta back.

You don't need to. Gul'dan and Kil'jaeden show the true potential for warlock magics, so you don't need to borrow some other class's gimmick.
11/16/2017 10:19 PMPosted by Veilstrike

You don't need to. Gul'dan and Kil'jaeden show the true potential for warlock magics, so you don't need to borrow some other class's gimmick.

So the spikey demon form gul'dan uses belongs to warlock? I guess we can take it away from vengeance demon hunters than.
11/16/2017 10:59 PMPosted by Thrillhaus

So the spikey demon form gul'dan uses belongs to warlock? I guess we can take it away from vengeance demon hunters than.

Shots fired right back at the DH about meta? Nice. Well played! :D
Warlocks going through major class overhauls in a new expansion?

Forgive me while I mask my shock with heavy sarcasm.

I NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE THE DAY.

It's nice being told after the fact that it was bad when we had dozens of Warlocks who were playing Legion Alpha/Beta saying it was garbage and who were ignored by Blizzard.

So who wants to bet they'll do that again?

IMO, Demonology needs to be a true master of demons. Let us tame ALL the demons we want. It should be like Beastmastery except with demons and a symbiotic relationship.

I don't want to summon hundreds of little demons - at least not as a main selling point. I want to summon bigger, stronger demons. And control hundreds.

LOL!

:)
O weird all those complaints from Beta are still issues a year later? Here's an idea. Have people who actually play warlock design the class.
They kind of have to rework it, the current iteration of Demo is heavily reliant on their artifact weapon to function. With Artifacts going away... yeah there really isn't that much of a choice.

However, calling the Legion iteration of Demonology a failure, I think is a mistake. Demo Warlocks finally have a set identity: we are a summoner of armies of Demons! Up til now, Demo has been a really weird spec with all kinds of odd things going on, and never quite hitting the perceived "mark", as it were. As far as 1st drafts go, the Legion Demolock hasn't been horrible, but like any well-designed spec, it can take multiple revisions before we reach a point where it is considered "good".

Certain rough patches we could mention include: the existence of Demonic Empowerment (can't get rid of it, because its tied to our artifact heavily), the fact are summoned demons only last 12 seconds before fading away (talk about crappy shard value), having mana issues just from our basic rotation (why does shadow bolt cost so much, it doesn't even do that much), or most of all: why don't have a viable burst cooldown anymore? Metamorphosis was the burst cooldown, but when it was taken from Warlocks and given to DH, did we get a fair replacement? No! Soul Harvest is almost universally a dead talent on Warlocks and its so boring!

Clearly, when the reworks comes, there are definite issues to resolve. My greatest hope is they listen to community feedback and perhaps try not ignoring their warlock playerbase for the first 2 months of the expansion like what happened in Legion. I would be happy to post my ideas again, if they are asked for by the good folks at Blizzard!
11/17/2017 05:53 PMPosted by Voodoobox
O weird all those complaints from Beta are still issues a year later? Here's an idea. Have people who actually play warlock design the class.

yaaaas.

I dont think that is a good idea. While players are great at giving suggestions and feedback i do not think they are that good at actually designing a class/spec. That just has a lot to do with too many jumbled ideas. Blizzard still has the advantage of having a set group of people coming together with ideas within a controlled environment. What we can do is express what we like and what we do not like and how things feel and what makes them feel good or bad.

Sure ;>. Just stay away from my Illidaddy form ;o
There are so many demons in argus and broken isle, let us summon every single one of them, make them last longer than 12 seconds, and give them special abilities like a snare, root, a cc, or they give you a short buff or put a debuff on the enemy.

It would be much more fun than summoning a lame army of imps and doggies.
11/17/2017 06:31 PMPosted by Izuni

I dont think that is a good idea. While players are great at giving suggestions and feedback i do not think they are that good at actually designing a class/spec. That just has a lot to do with too many jumbled ideas. Blizzard still has the advantage of having a set group of people coming together with ideas within a controlled environment. What we can do is express what we like and what we do not like and how things feel and what makes them feel good or bad.

I didnt mean a literal player. I just mean someone who plays the class. I dont see how any designer could play warlock regularly and think that the maintenence aspect was good design.