Alleria worse than Vereesa?

Story Forum
Prev 1 17 18 19
12/09/2017 09:44 AMPosted by Malakos
We left her home land to defend the humans against her Kings orders.

It wasn't against orders. She was allowed to take a token force to assist them. Though it was probably frowned upon, she was honoring an ancient alliance.

Alleria is horrible on most other accounts though I'll grant you.
12/09/2017 10:14 AMPosted by Ravenbrook
she's been fighting for millenia

Look like she can't count numbers just like her human husband.

I mean, when Khadgar talks to them and they say stuff about being away from so long even his voice has a feeling of "Oh yes, of course you did that for that long..."
01/28/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Alurna
Thalyssra's arrival, however, more or less put an end to her attempt.

How did you come to this conclusion? How is Thalyrssa to blame for what happened between Lor'themar and Alleria? She didn't involve herself in their conversation in any way. Lor'themar made it public, Alleria made her pitch, he shot it down. What did Thalyrssa do to affect this? The only time Thalyrssa took any action of any kind, was after that, when she was helping to fix Alleria's "accident".

Is there some new scene that Blizzard released, that suddenly changed all this?

You cannot expect her to be omnipotent or to maintain a broader spectrum of viewpoints. She's been gone from Azeroth for a thousand years to her mind, but 3-4 decades to everyone else's.

Did you mean omniscient? Which generally can be interpreted as all-knowing.
Omnipotent, is generally interpreted as all-powerful.

Maybe I am just being idealistic here, but I would think that spending 1000 years fighting the Legion, while serving in a Naaru led, Light-based intergalactic/interdimensional army, then embracing the teachings and powers of the Void, the very antithesis of said Naaru leader, would result in her having a broader spectrum of viewpoints. But I suppose that is just me.

is motivated by altruism

In her mind obviously, she thinks she is freeing her "enslaved" people from Horde bondage or something.

as well as selfishness,

Yeah it could be considered selfish, to expect an entire nation to do what you expect of them, when you hold no real authority over them, nor have you looked at things from their side. I would interpret it as arrogance, but that is just me.

and some degree of ignorance

Obviously, if her only source of this information on current events comes only from her possibly mentally unstable sister. I understand that family does count for something, but she also has another sibling who has another side of that story too. If she is choosing to ignore or deny that, then it is not ignorance is it?

Alleria didn't expect to succeed at bringing Quel'Thalas back into the Alliance, but felt it was her duty to try, and her hope that she would open channels of communication and diplomacy in the process.

If this is even remotely true then why do that by herself, and the manner she did it in? If she had brought Vareesa with her on that visit, I would be willing to bet Lor'themar would have definitely arranged for a more private discussion, then Alleria could have heard the story from both sides, especially about the Purge of Dalaran.
Also, why burn those potential bridges, and channels, of communication, and diplomacy with open insults about his character, and her own sister. Also remember, she is the one who ended said conversation by wanting to see the Sunwell before she left. She terminated any "negotiations", with Lor'themar, not him. He ended any relations with her after she endangered the Sunwell.

Keep in mind, Alleria isn't a politician, she's a ranger.

Yes, what made her think that she could just go in there by herself, with that line of thinking, and no consideration of their issues on the subject, and expect them to do what she wants?
I have nothing against Alleria to begin with.

Even from the story in books, she has always been touted as the most stalwart and defiant of the three sisters, going beyond measures for her duty call. It is very similar to Sylvanas, which is why in stories such as before the storm, it shows that Sylvanas is actually quite conflict and doesn't want to lead the Horde, because, there are too much to be cared about, the duty call of a Warchief. She would rather talk her rubbish at the back, put an arrow from the dark, and hide in her labyrinth beneath labyrinth.

I'm very sure if the course of history changed, and Alleria become the banshee queen, she would be more of a warmonger than Sylvanas, because she's the type of "do what we need first, and talk about consequences later" type of character. It would be very likely that she would become the ally version of Garrosh. Sylvanas, on the other hand, is more of a back line tactician, albeit one who can stand her ground. Vereesa though, feels like the youngest of the three with her single minded hatred for the Horde due to Garrosh killing Rhonin her husband. I doubt Blizzard is willing to make a tragic trio of three sisters though, that would be distasteful and boring.

Sylvanas is broken, it hurt her. It took her a very long time to pick herself up and lead people she doesn't want to become but she had became the same. Alleria on the other hand, will not feel that same way as strongly if she's in the same position, just look at how she has no hesitate in practicing with the Void power, all in the name of saving the world. She said she hasn't been affected by Void's whispering, or did she?

At this point, Sylvanas seems to be the less war minded of the two older windrunners, i might be biased as i'm a life long horde and been in Horde long enough to know Sylvanas' struggles.

In short, Alleria is definitely worst than Vereesa, the more meaningful comparison would be her vs Sylvanas. Even for a thousand years, Alleria had people she loved with her in Turalyon (unless she really just want him to father a child), Sylvanas is alone with people she despise in deep, but yet she has become. People she knew throughout her life despise her, just as she despise people around her now. She tried to kill herself, but in death, she found something that she feared more than living like that, and the meaning for her continue existence.

I look forward to the interactions amongst the three sisters in future, it would be interesting when Alleria learn of Sylvanas fate. (On that note, i wonder if Sylvanas still visit Sunwell, her former home? I knew she tried to kill of her remaining feelings for her previous life when we brought her a neckless of the windrunners sisters, just wondering)
01/29/2018 12:54 AMPosted by Tergrukan
I knew she tried to kill of her remaining feelings for her previous life when we brought her a neckless of the windrunners sisters, just wondering)

That is an interesting point too, will Blizzard keep that quest in, now that Alleria is back and Undercity possibly being sacked?
Welp, this topic didn't age well.
The only thing I see here is the SF horde cronies attempting to character assassinate yet another female alliance hero.
Nonsense! I'm definitely one of the SF Horde cronies and I was completely uninvolved except for my pet topic of Arthas's descent into evil and his betrayal of his people at Stratholme.

I will say though that there was a poster buried in there somewhere I agreed with. We need to see a demonstrated negative impact from Alleria reaching for the Void. The disastrous result of a lapse of control or something. But right now we're left with using the void being dangerous as an informed attribute and Alleria is just heroic and indomitably-willed and retchingly perfect. It ruins the Void as this terrible corrosive threat, creating Blizzard's usual problem with showing and not telling. It doesn't necessarily have to be current, it can be a flashback to something from her centuries training under Locus-Walker. And it doesn't have to be huge either. Khadgar's resisting Jaina's orders in WoD wasn't and it did a perfectly decent job of finally showing being on the Council of Six as meaning more than being a rubber stamp to the decisions made by the Council leader. But Blizzard really needs to SHOW us something.
I've never fully trusted in Alleria being miss goody, goody hero. I want to see how she got into the void. I think it came when she was at a weak moment.

I mean she away when the Sunwell was destroyed. During that time before it was restored, she was probably her way to becoming wretched when those void whispers started I bet. She could have sustained herself with the Light being around Xera but she didn't. And even when she visited the sunwell, she only remarked on his beautiful it was not how it made her feel like liadrin did back when it was first restored. She's clearly not sustained by it anymore.

She refuses to give up the void constantly enough to be locked up for it. And all she does is talk about its power like every other elf does when it comes to magic. Whether it's Queen Azshara or Illidan back when he was a Mage or even Kael. All seduced by some form of magic which they refused to give up just like her.

It seems like she actually needs it and loves the power rather than "using it as a tool". When you make a void elf, it's literally the first thing that she says.

She won't be able to resist the voices forever. I also don't see why the other high elves like vareesa are okay with her using void but hated the belves for using fel. Only belves are velves but you don't see any helves wanting to be like Alleria. Why isn't there tension between Vareesa and Alleria? She would be a total hypocrite if she not. Do they truly only hate Sylvanas because she leads the horde. Where else could she go? The alliance were never tolerant of undead. Many tried to go back home and were shunned as monsters.
08/11/2018 11:57 PMPosted by Judex
She won't be able to resist the voices forever. I also don't see why the other high elves like vareesa are okay with her using void but hated the belves for using fel. Only belves are velves but you don't see any helves wanting to be like Alleria. Why isn't there tension between Vareesa and Alleria? She would be a total hypocrite if she not. Do they truly only hate Sylvanas because she leads the horde. Where else could she go? The alliance were never tolerant of undead. Many tried to go back home and were shunned as monsters.

Veressa hates the horde, not the belfs in particular.
if you are horde, you are an enemy to her.
or she would have become an enemy of the velfs as well, she doesn't care if they are belfs/velfs or not, she cares if they are blue or red. (and the velfs are blue lol)
the sunreavers were horde, that's why she killed them. and plus, they were red. she hates that color.
12/09/2017 10:22 AMPosted by Rodruun
How can she be a traitor if the Quel'Dorei are her people? not the mana junkies that the Sin'Dorei became.

We ARE the true Quel'dorei, the nation of Quel'thelas. We name ourselves Sin'dorei to commemorate the blood that was shed by the Alliance prince Arthas.

Alleria and those others who call themselves "High Elves" have betrayed the memory of the fallen by aligning themselves with the faction that tried to exterminate us multiple times, first with Arthas, then with Garithos., and then had the nerve to talk peace with us while that low-born Tyrande sent spies and saboteurs.

By their actions then and now, Alleria and her traitorous kin, both Void and High have bound with our enemies.
12/09/2017 10:14 AMPosted by Ravenbrook
1. Alleria went to fight the Horde to protect Quel'thalas and the Alliance. She would have been killed by the Scourge as Sylvanas was if she hadn't. The Horde was the threat to them at the time, and no one predicted the Scourge.

Indeed. And let's not forget that the Horde actually did attack Quelthalas in the Second War. If anything, Quelthalas was as active a participant as Stormwind was; it was Lordaeron that bore the brunt of the Horde invasion.