Purists Against Graphics Toggle

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10
I feel graphics are the least of my priorities when it comes to a remake. As long as the gameplay and the main experience is the same... I could care less about the graphics. Didn't bother me then or now
12/05/2017 06:48 AMPosted by Blázè
As much as i hate to say this, but our current generation of gamers are heavily into graphics and it sucks, but thats the reality we live in.

The huge retro gaming wave that has Nintendo selling more SNES Classics than they can make says otherwise.

The reality is that anybody who actually cares about gameplay isn't going to let graphics be a deciding factor in a retro game. This isn't an all new AAA blockbuster, it's a throwback.
There's no reason to hate on a graphics toggle if it doesn't -- in any way -- impact the game for those who want a pure experience.

It's really that simple. If it's a toggle and you can play exactly how you want with it toggled off, and it doesn't impact you in any way, there's no reason to demand other players be unable to use it.

All the same I won't be upset in the least if it's not added. It's not a big concern of mine, but I'd make use of it most likely if it existed.
12/06/2017 10:47 PMPosted by Nalliah
There's no reason to hate on a graphics toggle if it doesn't -- in any way -- impact the game for those who want a pure experience.

It's really that simple. If it's a toggle and you can play exactly how you want with it toggled off, and it doesn't impact you in any way, there's no reason to demand other players be unable to use it.

The server has to provide both. One to be viewed by my pc, and the other by yours while toggled. Now, multiply that by x clients. If there was a way that only the "toggled on" pc had to suffer the performance crunch, then I'd be ok with it. As long as I still see only 2006 graphics...it isn't preserving the original game, but it adversely affects only the toggled pc...so...ok. But if it stresses the server..."fahgetaboutit".
12/05/2017 06:54 AMPosted by Tuathaa
12/05/2017 06:48 AMPosted by Blázè

So ultimately, it seems theres a clear and present truth that the fanbase is split between the middle. having the option to toggle one or the other would be ideal.

Yes there is a division.
The ones in denial that thinks a toggle can happen and those realists who understand that if blizzard couldnt get it to work for retail and ended up deleteng the option it isnt gonna happen in classic.
I personally think theu should just get it running nice and stable before they re write the code and graphics engine for the "not classic" classic players

Exactly this. Blizzard tried this in retail and ended up only wanting to support one set of graphics. Since this is classic and you can only have one or the other not both then I'm going with the original.
12/06/2017 02:04 PMPosted by Tuathaa
12/06/2017 01:43 PMPosted by Blázè
Nope. Purists are the only bad customer because they are trying to prevent other customers from going to the restaurant.

Sorry, your failed purist rhetoric logic doesnt work in my analogy.

No they arent.
All people are saying is you cant go to an Italian restaurant and get teriyaki chicken.
You can ask all you want but they arent going to make it for you.
Now if you spaghetti knock yourself out

that litterally made no sense.
your rhetoric logic doesnt work in my analogy, other then the fact purists are not letting other people in the restaurant.

Players are asking for WoW in Wow, just the option for updated wow graphics, so your "teryaki chicken in an italian restaurant" crap argument falls flat on its face.
12/07/2017 06:59 AMPosted by Blázè
<span class="truncated">...</span>

No they arent.
All people are saying is you cant go to an Italian restaurant and get teriyaki chicken.

your rhetoric logic doesnt work in my analogy, other then the fact purists are not letting other people in the restaurant.

You can come on into the restaurant you just cant change the menu.

Now you know how everyone else feels about you nonsensical analogies.
Nope. Purists are the only bad customer because they are trying to prevent other customers from going to the restaurant.

More like we have a great restaurant that a lot of people love coming to. We'd like for everyone to try it. If you don't like it, then that's a shame. Write your 1 star Yelp review and move on.
We have spent years advocating for Vanilla, as it was, without options A, B or C that make it not Vanilla and then people come here and want A B or C and are somehow surprised and amazed that we would get upset about that.

People are funny creatures.

No they arent.

12/07/2017 07:44 AMPosted by Jentso

More like we have a great restaurant that a lot of people love coming to. We'd like for everyone to try it. If you don't like it, then that's a shame. Write your 1 star Yelp review and move on.

if you think blizzard is going to allow for one of their products to have a model like that, then you are a naive.
12/07/2017 08:00 AMPosted by Twidget
We have spent years advocating for Vanilla, as it was, without options A, B or C that make it not Vanilla and then people come here and want A B or C and are somehow surprised and amazed that we would get upset about that.

People are funny creatures.

we advocated for vanilla, because the game was designed in a way that got us to keep logging in. the slow paced leveling, the community heavy themed structure, the class builds, the 40 man raids...

that was the first step.

now that we are actually getting a classic server, we can finally talk about fixing it and finishing it in the way it was supposed to be, originally.

we as MMORPG gamers, really miss this philosophy because it has been absent for nearly a decade and want to return home to that. the immense QoL and instant gradification has disengaged alot of us and want things to have the structure as to how it was back then.

but it was far from perfect, Classes needed balancing, racials needed to be reworked, yata yata, but now we are given a second chance to get it all right this time.
12/07/2017 11:05 AMPosted by Blázè
12/07/2017 07:44 AMPosted by Jentso

if you think blizzard is going to allow for one of their products to have a model like that, then you are a naive.

What are you talking about? I just finished watching a Shark Tank episode where none of the sharks offered the guy any money because he kept changing his stance on his product after every shark gave an opinion. Catering to everyone isn't a viable business solution.

Besides, you don't speak for Blizzard. None of us know what their vision is for this server. They gave us clues, though. Didn't someone from Blizz say it doesn't matter if it's a big success or not? To me that doesn't sound like they're banking on this game being popular at all. What if it's just a method for them to get people to subscribe to WoW, get bored, and move back to retail WoW? What if it's an experiment to see how gamers will react to classic's type of unforgiving game design? They're going to make another MMO eventually.
No graphics have to be the same for everyone. There cannot be a graphical togal between new and old graphics. The reason behind this is because of things like PVP and so on. People with new graphics will see spells and abilities going off way better then people with them turned off. This will give players with new graphics a PVP advantage. View distance is also a big deal. A player with higher view distance will see the other player further. This will give an uneven playing field in PVP. Everyone needs to be using the same graphics so that its fair.
12/07/2017 11:04 AMPosted by Blázè

No they arent.

Double post much?

Here let me help i posted this the day before your repost

12/08/2017 10:27 AMPosted by Tuathaa
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Double post much?

Here let me help i posted this the day before your repost

no one is changing the menu, but when a restaurant gives customers a chance to suggest what they can do to improve the restaurant in terms of their menu, customers will do what they must. (in our case, this forum. discussing what we would like to see in classic wow.)

or rather, if an item on the menu is presented to you, and theirs a fly in it (ex: paladin imbalances)... the customer has every right to send that item back.
A graphics toggle is one of the few things that Classic players wont really care about one way or the other for the most part.
12/08/2017 02:03 PMPosted by Kinetics
A graphics toggle is one of the few things that Classic players wont really care about one way or the other for the most part.

players need to deal with the game how it was - this includes how it played... and how it looked