What is the big deal about High Elves?

General Discussion
It seems like a recurring topic on the forums is that Alliance players are pissed about not getting High Elves but are instead getting Void Elves. So here’s my noob question - what’s the big fuss about High Elves?
It seems like we will have a variety of them (night, blood and void), so what’s so special about the night elf flavor?
"Give me a carbon copy of the Horde's most popular race and damn the consequences!"
Oh noes, not again...
Probably because nelfs have square heads and are pretty ugly, and void elves are blue but they already have draenei. They just wanted some regular looking elves without square heads, can't be mad at that.
12/07/2017 08:02 PMPosted by Partyunicorn
Probably because nelfs have square heads and are pretty ugly, and void elves are blue but they already have draenei. They just wanted some regular looking elves without square heads, can't be mad at that.

My head is not square.
/drinks
It is a debate over a retcon in lore in short. Back in BC days the two were described as starkly different, post retcon it is a far more subtle affair. It is an argument that will never end probably.

Also.. I do wish they would get over their 'strong jaw' obsession and make my face less of a block.

....and eyebrows. Those be good too.
12/07/2017 08:25 PMPosted by Kaidran
It is a debate over a retcon in lore in short. Back in BC days the two were described as starkly different, post retcon it is a far more subtle affair. It is an argument that will never end probably.

Also.. I do wish they would get over their 'strong jaw' obsession and make my face less of a block.

You only get eyebrows if you grow a beard. I'm sorry :(
12/07/2017 07:57 PMPosted by Dalyera
Void Elves

are

High Elves
12/07/2017 08:28 PMPosted by Dendritus
Void Elves

are

High Elves

Ahem:

Willful ignorance

is

bliss.
12/07/2017 08:25 PMPosted by Kaidran

The older male Nelf models were better and more chiseled, their newer models are blurry with no muscle definition, and their faces are too round.

The older female Nelf models were better as well. The newer models faces are ugly, and look like botox gone wrong.

The only thing I like about the newer Night Elf models are their fangs and claws.

A shame that blizzard removed the ability to switch Nelves and Belves back to their older models, while the other races can do so at anytime whenever they want to.

Still waiting for Night Elves with a black hair option, and eyebrow with no beard for the males.
12/07/2017 08:01 PMPosted by Yaden
"Give me a carbon copy of the Horde's most popular race and damn the consequences!"

"Nevermind the fact that High Elven characters are consistently used in Alliance storyline developments, more so than Gnomes!"
12/07/2017 08:28 PMPosted by Dendritus
Void Elves

are

High Elves

WRONG
When Blizzard made Blood Elves Horde, they staunchly insisted that there were not enough High Elves left to make a playable Race. This is of course ignoring Gnomes and Draenei for the time being. People eventually began to accept the fact and it died down a bit.

Then Wrath came a long and we were introduced to the Silver Covenant, a militant faction of Alliance allied Elves of the more classical fantasy flavor. This reinvigorated the desire for High Elves to be playable on the Alliance, since now there were High Elves attached to the Alliance IN GAME, and they were a major faction in the story line at that. The desire never staved off.

It only got worse with with more and more expansions. They continued to play major roles in following expansions, such as MoP and could be found regularly within Alliance settlements from BC to Legion (There is even a freaking High Elf on the Vindicaar). High Elven characters regularly play pivotal roles in Alliance Story telling. Up until Legion, it felt like they had more established in game lore than the Gnomes, Draenei and Worgen COMBINED.

They are the only MAJOR Alliance Race that is not playable. High Elves even made up part of Theramore's military.

It's a race that does ALL this stuff for the Alliance story wise, but it can never be represented by a player for the Alliance.

If you want people to stop asking for High Elves, Blizzard is going to need to Develop it's OTHER Alliance races before they add MORE High Elf lore. Give the Gnomes SOMETHING before you pull another Windrunner out of a hat.
Now I wanna watch someone pull Sylvanas outta a top hat...
12/07/2017 09:25 PMPosted by Jankson
Now I wanna watch someone pull Sylvanas outta a top hat...

"And for my next trick...."