High Elf/ Blood Elf compermise.

General Discussion
12/07/2017 07:45 PMPosted by Xzazel

Um, High elf proponent here. I would be fine with it. Actually, there wasn't much hate for the Void elves until we found out they were Blood elves, so . . .

Someone wasn't paying attention. There was a lot of hate on them, and it was temporarily held in check by the thought "Well, Blizz will give us normal skin and we're High Elves yay!" But when THAT didn't happen, the whining redoubled.
12/07/2017 07:36 PMPosted by Onuris
Could you imagine the rage tears if they gave Blood Elves the blue eye option... lol.
Except High Elves HATE Blood Elves and have been repeatedly opposed to them throughout every expansion since BC.

Fat chance of that happening.
12/07/2017 07:50 PMPosted by Onuris
Someone wasn't paying attention. There was a lot of hate on them, and it was temporarily held in check by the thought "Well, Blizz will give us normal skin and we're High Elves yay!" But when THAT didn't happen, the whining redoubled.

No, there was maybe one or two threads inquiring about them. Most people were fine with them thinking they were High elves. Once it was found that they were Blood elves, then all the vitriolic threads popped up. Believe me, as a High elf proponent, I was paying very close attention.
Blood Elves are High Elves

Void Elves are Blood Elves

Void Elves are Blood Elves are High Elves

Void Elves are High Elves.

Is any of this making sense?

You CAN still just roleplay that you're a high elf void elf. Absolutely nothing is stopping you from doing so. Your imagination makes up about 50% of your character

12/07/2017 07:51 PMPosted by Dhumah
Except High Elves HATE Blood Elves and have been repeatedly opposed to them throughout every expansion since BC.

Just Vereesa and her crew really, and they're just salty. If they really hated the blood elves, they wouldn't be accepting the offer to return to Quel'thalas and/or make pilgrimages to the sunwell, which Lor'themar maintains is a right for all children of Quel'thalas.

The reason for their exile (attempting to cause a schism in a dwindling society that was already teetering on the edge of destruction, which would likely result in civil war) isn't even there anymore. The sunwell has been restored, and Lor'themar doesn't need to worry about people getting uppity about slurping mana wyrms.

The only High Elves that haven't returned are the ones who have made peace with their lives where they are, or the ones who feel like the Alliance is more important than their people.
12/07/2017 08:20 PMPosted by Averax
You CAN still just roleplay that you're a high elf void elf.

Unless there's no precedence for it in the lore.

And High elf proponents understand that High/Void/Blood elves are all the same species. It's a case of North vs. South Koreans. Same race, different groups of people. Stop being willfully ignorant.

Just Vereesa and her crew really

Which is the most prominent and well-grouped High elven faction.

If they really hated the blood elves, they wouldn't be accepting the offer to return to Quel'thalas and/or make pilgrimages to the sunwell, which Lor'themar maintains is a right for all children of Quel'thalas.

You can hate a group of people, but still admire your ancestral homeland.
Having high elves be void elves is lorebreaking. The high elves are very set in their ways of only getting their sustenance from non-living resources such as mana crystals. Should high elves become void elves, that debases their core values. Void elves being exiled blood elves makes sense, even if I'm not particularly happy about it.
12/07/2017 08:51 PMPosted by Ázelas
Having high elves be void elves is lorebreaking. The high elves are very set in their ways of only getting their sustenance from non-living resources such as mana crystals. Should high elves become void elves, that debases their core values. Void elves being exiled blood elves makes sense, even if I'm not particularly happy about it.

High elves wanting to learn how to utilize the Void for good under the tutelage of Alleria (their former Ranger-Captain) would not be lore-breaking. Further, they could've made it similar to the elves at Quel'Lithien: a group stumbled upon an item filled with Void energy that caused them to start going mad. Alleria found them in time and decided to train them on how to control the whispers and the Void.
12/07/2017 07:51 PMPosted by Dhumah
12/07/2017 07:36 PMPosted by Onuris
Could you imagine the rage tears if they gave Blood Elves the blue eye option... lol.

That has literally no bearing on what you quoted from me. It doesn't matter if the High Elves outside don't like the ones in Quel'thalas at all. If the Blood Elves get their blue eyes back, the Silver Covenant doesn't get a say. Nor would anyone else, because it'd just happen due to the restored Sunwell.

Who likes who doesn't enter into the equation.

Here's hoping!
12/07/2017 08:44 PMPosted by Xzazel
Unless there's no precedence for it in the lore.

There is literally NOTHING preventing you from pretending that you're a high elf void elf. You are in control of your character's backstory, blizzard only lays a foundation, and you don't even need to adhere to it 100%. Especially in a scenario such as this.

Here, i'll crap something out to get you started

You and your friends can pretend you're a part of <insert desired high elf settlement> who were making their bi-annual pilgrimage to the sunwell when a few of you met Magister Umbric as he was exiled.

Being able to relate to him, you find him on his way out of the city and ask what happened. This is when he tells you about his research , how it was forbidden, and how he was kicked out for it. It interests you, and you ask if you can become his apprentice.

There you go, use that as a template if you must.
How about a new server that's only high elves, then this noise will have an outlet where no one else has to hear it.
12/07/2017 03:06 PMPosted by Vincenzo
High Elves and Blood Elves are the same thing. The only difference is where they take their mana from. Notice all the fel crystals in the Belf lands?

Thats like a drug to them in the sense they need it and if they go without it they get withdraw.
the blood elves did not drain the mana from the fel crystals, they drained mana from living things like Mana Worms (hence the reason one of our starting quests has us using mana tap on the mana worms in the starting zone) while the high elves drained the mana from inanimate objects like mana crystals and other magic items (which they get from the kirin tor).

the Fel Crystals were used to power buildings in the period the Sunwell was corrupted. we got our green eyes simply by being close to them. the same would happen to the High Elves if you stuck a fel crystal next to them for a few years (or in this case, stuck a few void powered elves next to them their eyes will turn purple). Lore Wise our eyes should be turning blue again with our sunwell being cleansed (we are also drawing mana from it instead of animals now so technically (even more so than before) we are 'High Elves' again) but gameplay wise they don't want to show that because it would upset all the alliance people that want playable high elves on the alliance.
My own belief is Blizzard has not totally thrown out the idea high elves might be playable someday. I expect it is something Blizzard want to keep as a possibility in the future.
12/07/2017 03:38 PMPosted by Althenar
<span class="truncated">...</span>

...I can't think of a single high elf NPC in Stormwind off the top of my head. As far as I know, there aren't any in Stormwind.

There's one in the mage tower and another one in the castle. Those are the only two I can think of.

I thought SW was supposed to be the place with the most high elves. Now that I think of it I did never see many high elves in SW.

Also void elf is the compromise.
There's really not much at this point Blizzard could ever do (besides giving High Elves to the Alliance in the form that people want them) to stem the tide of the "High Elves " commentary, except...perhaps...the nuclear option which I'm quite sure would spawn a flood of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" threads:

"Alleria wept as she looked at the broken bodies of her High Elf kin and of her own sister, Vereesa. Looking out over the battlefield, she saw the shattered remnants of the High Elf force that gathered under <insert High Elf Temporary Leader Here>, her sister, and the High Elf members of the Kirin Tor to confront their Blood Elf kin following the destruction of <insert appropriate High Elf settlement here> at their hands not long after the burning of Teldrassil.

The High Elves had finally rallied together as one to put an army in the field, coming together under <insert High Elf Temporary Leader Here> to defend their way of life. Lured into a battle at <insert appropriate battle site here> against what they believe to be a small force, they were confounded by the sudden appearance of both Blood Elf and Nightborne forces teleporting in around them in far greater numbers than they could hope to win against and the Quel'dorei fell in droves.

Some precious few mages managed to open portals and escape, but they and those few who refused to join <insert High Elf Temporary Leader Here> are all that remains of the once-proud Quel'dorei. The rest, all that remained of their society, lie dead on the blood-soaked ground of <insert appropriate battle site here>, a place that will be long remembered as the ground upon which the last of the Quel'dorei as a people gave up their lives. Their days have passed.

Finally, Alleria turned and walked slowly away from the carnage, her Void Elf followers bearing away Vereesa's body behind her - tears streaming down her face as she swore eternal vengeance upon the Horde, her sister Sylvanas, and Liadrin."

It's a thought.
High elf are untainted. But Alleria became a void elf...

Void elves are former blood elves who are former high elves. You guys are getting your high elves drawing from void magics.

Also in some books it says that those blood elves that draw from the light start to regain there white/blue eyes but its not reflected in lore.

If you really want to play high elf play blood elf or void elf.

If you are sad you cant get normal skin tones for void elves then I suggest you complain about that now that they can make adjustments for launch.

As horde I wouldnt mind seeing normal unvoided elves on alliance, so long as they share hairstyles and hair colors with blood elves. They said they would add more options so hopefully blood elves and void elves can share some cosmetic options. (Heck if they add some eye color options horde can get blue green/ yellow and white alliance could get blue white purple/ nightmare red.
Y'all seem to miss my point that we could lore wise tie in the Alliance high elves with minmal effort by simply reuniting them with their void elf brothers. I see no reason why they wouldn't be recruited.
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/game/races/blood-elf

Silvermoon City
Less than a decade ago, the wondrous high elven capital of Silvermoon was nearly destroyed during a brutal Scourge invasion. Under the command of Prince Arthas, the undead ravaged the city and went on to corrupt the sacred waters of the Sunwell. Despite this horrific event, the high elves—now known as the blood elves—have labored to rebuild their ruined capital. Most recently, the rebirth of the Sunwell has lifted spirits among the elves, and they have continued to heal Silvermoon’s scars in the hopes of returning the crown jewel of Quel’Thalas to its former glory.

the high elves—now known as the blood elves
12/08/2017 02:48 PMPosted by Sallibash
Y'all seem to miss my point that we could lore wise tie in the Alliance high elves with minmal effort by simply reuniting them with their void elf brothers. I see no reason why they wouldn't be recruited.

Here's one to consider: The High Elf schism with the Blood Elves was due to their decision to start sucking energy from living beings and their association with the Fel among other philosophical differences like joining the Horde. That being the case, how do you suppose they will react to the suggestion that they readily accept being permanently suffused with Void energy? It isn't like being a Shadow Priest and calling on/channeling Void energies...which is bad enough...it's inviting (or in the current version of the origin story, being attacked and almost turned into Void Slaves by Nether-Prince Durzaan before being saved by Alleria and the player doing the quest chain) the Void in as a permanent resident.
I personally don't think there are any real barriers to prevent High Elves from simply being added, but If there has to be a compromise, I'd be content with Half Elves.

As long as there are still customization options to have them appear as high elves, you know, smooth face, light skin, long blonde hair, glowy blue eyes, then people who want High Elves would be satisfied.

But then have other customizations with more human-like features, like beards ("Such as the like as" void elves are getting) simpler short hairstyles, and chunkier body types through whatever method they are using to give us upright orcs. Hell, I might even play one if that were the case.

With how often High Elves like to get funky with humans, it would also be the best answer to the whole "There aren't enough High Elves to make them playable" dilemma. (Even though the same could be said about void elves, but whatevs)
12/08/2017 03:28 PMPosted by Themurloc
I personally don't think there are any real barriers to prevent High Elves from simply being added, but If there has to be a compromise, I'd be content with Half Elves.

As long as there are still customization options to have them appear as high elves, you know, smooth face, light skin, long blonde hair, glowy blue eyes, then people who want High Elves would be satisfied.

But then have other customizations with more human-like features, like beards ("Such as the like as" void elves are getting) simpler short hairstyles, and chunkier body types through whatever method they are using to give us upright orcs. Hell, I might even play one if that were the case.

With how often High Elves like to get funky with humans, it would also be the best answer to the whole "There aren't enough High Elves to make them playable" dilemma. (Even though the same could be said about void elves, but whatevs)

A half elf actually would make a lot of sense, and be pretty cool to boot. There are a lot of half elves out there, normally shunned by both sides. Bringing them under one banner for the Alliance be a great allied race quest.