Estimated Death Toll for Teldrassil burning?

Story Forum
How many worgen and Night Elves survived? Assuming atleast half of the Nelves and Worgen who live in Teldrassil were deployed at Lordaeron.
I doubt we will know to what degree Teldrassil's inhabitants die until BfA comes out. If it were up to me? 100%.

I would wait some time for when more info comes out about it.
We have no idea how many Night Elves or Worgen live on Teldrassil. Nor do we know how many died in the attack. Firm numbers, especially for populations, are one of the most ambigous things in Warcraft. If you even want to have a vague idea, we have to wait till we know more.
12/04/2017 01:20 PMPosted by Abrahof
I doubt we will know to what degree Teldrassil's inhabitants die until BfA comes out. If it were up to me? 0.

I would wait some time for when more info comes out about it.

This also proves that we are getting Gilneas right? Unless we also take Gilneas back but that seems like its gonna be more like a world pvp zone rather than a capital city. Or maybe the Forsaken might inhabit it.
I recommend ignoring population numbers in WoW. The number who died are as many as the story needs, until they change their mind later on.

If I had to guess, probably more than 5.
12/04/2017 01:17 PMPosted by Lokier
How many worgen and Night Elves survived? Assuming atleast half of the Nelves and Worgen who live in Teldrassil were deployed at Lordaeron.

I don't think any of them know how to swim.

Source: I haven't seen any in game.
Well Golden is writing that new book, so with her sense of scale in mind, maybe about 12.
12/04/2017 01:17 PMPosted by Lokier
Assuming atleast half of the Nelves and Worgen who live in Teldrassil were deployed at Lordaeron.

None were deployed. The burning of Teldrassil has been confirmed to take place before the battle for Lordaeron.
From the Horde side, there will be zero mention of casualties unless they want to make Sylvanas a villain. Then there will be a bunch of captives in UC being forced to reenact the human centipede movies.

On the Alliance side, Jaina will make sure to tell everyone that eleventy bajillion people died in the fire and how the Horde orphans have to be held accountable for this unspeakable crime.
For all we know, everyone was at the battle that was clearly taking place in Darkshore, and Teldrassil was empty when it burned.
As always, rampant cynicism from posters when someone asks a question relating to a faction conflict.

@OP we're not sure and it's hard to determine.

The attack on Teldrassil was preemptive. Based on what we've been told, Sylvanas struck first on Teldrassil. This would mean that the attack on civilians could have been very sudden, or perhaps there was enough time to evacuate.

How many could have died? As much as the plot demands. Just like Theramore, perhaps teleporters could have saved the civilians as the Horde fleet blockaded the ports. Perhaps ships and air units had enough time to evacuate before the enemy ships closed in. On the other hand, perhaps many of its denizens (especially those further in in Shadowglen) could have perished.

It's all up in the air right now, but I would think Blizzard will try to minimize the civilian casualties as to not cast Sylvanas in an excessively negative light.
I made a guestimate in another thread last month:
BORN TO BURN
WORLD TREE IS A !@#$
KILL EM ALL 2019
I am horde man
410,757,864,530 DEAD NELVES and puppers*

* edited because I forgot Worgen lived there too

But for real, we'll probably never know. Blizz never tells us precisely how many people live where, or how many die in horrible diasters. The number of Darkspears mind-slaved by Zalazane or Stormwindians burninated by Deathwing is still a mystery.
We know almost nothing about the circumstances surrounding it, so can't really say. If it was a sudden event, like a surprise attack, then they'd be high. If it was the end of a prolonged battle, with ample time to evacuate, then civilian casualties could be pretty low. For now, impossible to say.
12/04/2017 01:37 PMPosted by Mythlos
The attack on Teldrassil was preemptive. Based on what we've been told, Sylvanas struck first on Teldrassil. This would mean that the attack on civilians was sudden.

There's a battle taking place offshore before the burning, so it's plausible there could have been some warning. How much remains to be seen.
12/04/2017 01:41 PMPosted by Basinah

There's a battle taking place offshore before the burning, so it's plausible there could have been some warning. How much remains to be seen.

Right I edited my post to make that more clear. Sudden could be as long as the plot demands.
The attack on Teldrassil was preemptive. Based on what we've been told, Sylvanas struck first on Teldrassil.

I don't think we know that. The artwork shows the aftermath of a large battle in Darkshore--broken weapons, wounded/dying elves, and so on--both before and after Teldrassil burns. So, clearly, the inhabitants of Darnassus would at minimum know that the Horde forces were in the area and that fighting was happening. We don't know yet what started the fighting in Darkshore.

EDIT: I see Basinah got there ahead of me.
As it stands we just don't have enough information to make even a seriously educated guess.

To take a shot in the dark, I'd say Teldrassil will be mostly evacuated, but there will still be a non-trivial number of fatalities including at least one major character (I'd actually guess Malfurion).

12/04/2017 01:43 PMPosted by Syllaiesta
I don't think we know that. The artwork shows the aftermath of a large battle in Darkshore--broken weapons, wounded/dying elves, and so on--both before and after Teldrassil burns. So, clearly, the inhabitants of Darnassus would at minimum know that the Horde forces were in the area and that fighting was happening. We don't know yet what started the fighting in Darkshore.

There's fairly significant evidence to suggest that the post-Antorus Alliance/Horde fighting initially breaks out in Silithus rather then Teldrassil. But exactly how that results in a Horde attack on the opposite end of the continent is as of yet unknown.
As always, rampant cynicism from posters when someone asks a question relating to a faction conflict.

That's because previous episodes that focused on the faction conflict have set certain expectations among people that pay attention to the lore. The faction conflict will never result in any long term damage to either side and any casualty numbers will be irrelevant if they're ever mentioned at all because:

How many could have died? As much as the plot demands.

The question asked has no answer, and even if we did have a number to give him, it would be meaningless.
My guess is that it will have been *mostly* evacuated. I don't think such a huge number of people will have died, simply because I don't believe Blizzard is prepared to start off the expansion with an atrocity of that magnitude.
12/04/2017 01:50 PMPosted by Falrinn
As it stands we just don't have enough information to make even a seriously educated guess.

To take a shot in the dark, I'd say Teldrassil will be mostly evacuated, but there will still be a non-trivial number of fatalities including at least one major character (I'd actually guess Malfurion).

You really think they'll kill off Malfurion? Idk, I feel like if he were to go, it wouldn't be in the faction war. If Sylvanas did something that ended in his death, no way the Tauren stick around. He'd need to go out in some big heroic sacrifice, against like the Nightmare or something.