After Naxxramas

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
after a year of truly classic wow, blizzard should poll people with multiple high level characters on what happens next. personally, id prefer nothing be added and they just roll brand new realms.

i wouldnt be upset if old, abandoned content got revisited and implemented based on original creator plans. kind of like a lost levels version of wow
Gauntlet type servers with 5x level rates 1x drop rates.

Next tier of content released 1 week after previous tier cleared. After Naxx gets cleared, everyone gets 3 months to clear before server is nuked and another gauntlet starts a few months later.

Winners get epeen points and achievements/titles on live servers.
What blizzard does after classic is released and a couple years have gone by will largely depend on revenue and player numbers. If the classic servers are jam packed with old players and retail players alike, all throwing money at blizzard; well then anything's possible. More world bosses would be nice and large scale events like AQ gate lead up and scourge invasion woyd be popular. I personally coud live without setting foot in Kara again...
I'm of two minds for keeping classic alive after Naxx. One idea would be to release new content for classic [b]while keeping the classic design philosophy[./b] I simply don't trust Blizzard to be able to accomplish that. Hell until classic is actually released in an unaltered form, I don't trust Blizzard.

The other option could be a Path of Exile style season system. Adding modifiers/slight mechanic changes every couple of months, possibly with a gear reset. idk how well that'd work but it's an idea.
12/07/2017 04:04 PMPosted by Rakruulnahel
"Possibly suggested before"? LOL.
Possibly the search bar could have told you this is a repeat topic and POSSIBLY should be moved to GD as this is a different game then was asked for. Thank you.

LOK'TAR OGAR!!
FOR VANILLA!!!

Did you get some sand somewhere? I am merely pipe dreaming as I stated before. I want nothing changed, I want nothing included, I was merely creating discussions based on my own experiences in Vanilla. What harm is there in discussing possibilities? Say the game takes off way beyond expectations and the developers decide to look into suggestions like these. Thank you.
I think the focus should be on just getting Classic out to start with. Following that, I think the correct way to handle it is releasing the next expansion on its own server, and so on, so forth - and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way it pans out.

That said, I've always enjoyed the idea of what it would have been like had Vanilla continued, and I'd been a tad iffy on BC when it was released (I was young, and didn't really understand MMOs and what an expansion meant when it was effectively resetting my progress). I'd be interested in seeing them develop more Vanilla content several years down the road. If it doesn't happen, that would be fine for me as well, though.
After Naxxramas

You have full clear Naxx on farm and we'll talk.
Oh, so you want content added for classic? Really? But when I want to play a BE in classic that's out of line?
12/07/2017 10:08 PMPosted by Oriendaria
Oh, so you want content added for classic? Really? But when I want to play a BE in classic that's out of line?

BE's release was with TBC. There could be some unexplored and unfinished content released for Classic that was going to be in but was canceled before they move on to TBC, but it would be after the actual classic content has run dry and they're in the middle of the transition between vanilla and TBC.
12/07/2017 10:17 PMPosted by Espure
12/07/2017 10:08 PMPosted by Oriendaria

BE's release was with TBC. There could be some unexplored and unfinished content released for Classic that was going to be in but was canceled before they move on to TBC, but it would be after the actual classic content has run dry and they're in the middle of the transition between vanilla and TBC.

You are obviously missing the point. If I play a blood elf on TBC server, very little to no one is going to be doing "classic" content. they will be working on TBC end game. SO denying people races because "it's not vanilla" is stupid.
12/07/2017 10:32 PMPosted by Oriendaria
You are obviously missing the point. If I play a blood elf on TBC server, very little to no one is going to be doing "classic" content. they will be working on TBC end game. SO denying people races because "it's not vanilla" is stupid.

You want to play something that wasn't in classic, on a classic server. Of course people are going to be against that. It's not part of what the game was back then. It changed the dynamic of the factions, as people who originally didn't play Horde switched to it for the BE, and so the most dominant race population wise became the Blood Elves. People want to revisit classic, and that means classic. Blood Elves as a playable race were not part of that.

TBC was my favourite too, and I hope they move on to it eventually. But enjoy classic for classic. If not being able to play a Blood Elf breaks it for you, then obviously you weren't looking to play classic in the first place.
If it is a separate server option than WoW: Classic servers where characters from WoW: Classic can be copied over onto them, then I am for it. If it is being added to the WoW: Classic version and thereby failing to have a preserved version of the original game, then I am extremely against it.
12/08/2017 12:00 AMPosted by Vivftw
If it is a separate server option than WoW: Classic servers where characters from WoW: Classic can be copied over onto them, then I am for it. If it is being added to the WoW: Classic version and thereby failing to have a preserved version of the original game, then I am extremely against it.

Private servers aimed to make a TBC server and allow a transfer of characters from classic to TBC, I don't know about copying. I personally would prefer a transfer, as that would give me an opportunity to level something else on the Classic server (if I haven't already).

That said I fully understand why people wouldn't want it to be a transfer.
12/07/2017 05:54 PMPosted by Moonlitstars
12/07/2017 04:04 PMPosted by Rakruulnahel
"Possibly suggested before"? LOL.
Possibly the search bar could have told you this is a repeat topic and POSSIBLY should be moved to GD as this is a different game then was asked for. Thank you.

LOK'TAR OGAR!!
FOR VANILLA!!!

Did you get some sand somewhere? I am merely pipe dreaming as I stated before. I want nothing changed, I want nothing included, I was merely creating discussions based on my own experiences in Vanilla. What harm is there in discussing possibilities? Say the game takes off way beyond expectations and the developers decide to look into suggestions like these. Thank you.

You created a repeat topic. So no you are not starting discussion you posted a repeat topic. Could have used the search bar if you were truly interested in discussing.
why not post on one of the multiple trolls, I mean threads on this topic?
This horse has been beaten into hamburger!!

This is not what was asked for in the past 10+ years. I don't recall one thread begging blizz for classic servers with CUSTOM content. They announce classic and now everyone has a wish list of custom changes.

You can "what if" a project to death. Which is what most of this is. The more energy/time spent on what ifs the less time spent on development. So this literally would be a waste of time for the devs.

Already if they take any of these forums seriously with all these change requests you guys have probably delayed the game by about 4 years. If they were to discuss every single troll I mean idea presented here.

Sand no. salty. A little. I want to play vanilla and I feel like every change asked for just adds to the delay. Just wasting time. The waters are muddied enough.

I hope blizz gives these "discussions" some solid direction soon. They need to get off the fence and either break the pro change crowd heart or lose the subs they are trying to get back. It's that simple. Then the real discussions can begin...

Why can't they release just vanilla and everyone asking for changes beg for their own custom fun servers? All of you can organize. Sign a petition. Maybe build a custom server to show them it will bring in people?

I could even support you guys IF they don't screw up vanilla with any of this. What I can't support is custom changes to vanilla on its own.

I'm all for giving the change crowd their own server. Not at the expense of vanilla tho.
Most of them won't last in vanilla for more then a couple months so it's no loss to the pop anyways...
12/07/2017 10:32 PMPosted by Oriendaria
12/07/2017 10:17 PMPosted by Espure

Trying to deny people of their vanilla experience for personal wishlist changes is really stupid. Asking for custom changes to a game that was begged for 10+ years is stupid. Repeat posts after repeat posts asking for custom changes is stupid.

Blizz not getting lost subs back because of changes would be stupid...
12/07/2017 03:29 PMPosted by Talaerus
Rolls to BC, then wrath... And maybe I could propose an idea? Mind you, it's just an idea. This version doesn't have cataclysm, it'll be a different expansion, with all of the mistakes that were made in cata and onward not being made here. The story will be better written, etc.

One thing I would say, if they did this option, I would also want each version of the game have separate servers.

Potential to develop a Warcraft 4 perhaps and done prior with a better story than Cataclysm. Therefore after wotlk they actually have a solid story to go on this time.
12/07/2017 04:09 PMPosted by Wrain452999
after a year of truly classic wow, blizzard should poll people with multiple high level characters on what happens next. personally, id prefer nothing be added and they just roll brand new realms.

i wouldnt be upset if old, abandoned content got revisited and implemented based on original creator plans. kind of like a lost levels version of wow

I would like to see the Realms reset, and you could continue to play your 60at level 60 out perhaps anticipate each new patch from launch to just before TBC on an alt. Just keep resetting, like seasons, perhaps later with the option to copy your character to a classic TBC realm if such were to exist.
The only serious hangup that I have about any new content (aside from the obvious fact that it's no longer Vanilla), is that it will inevitably make all other previous gear obsolete.

The perfect example is the fact that the Rank 13 PvP gear was rivaled by the Tier 2.5 AQ40 gear. Granted, Tier 2.5 was a 5-piece set, but the point still stands. Even in the Hybrid realm (Druid/Paladin/Shaman), the Tier 2.5 set was meant for hybrid-play, which was most practical in PvP. It was comparable to top level PvP gear in every way except that you got it from PvE, which begs the question--why bother with the PvP grind if the best PvP gear comes from PvE?

As for pures, you couldn't possibly get anything better than Tier 3 gear. It simply outmatched all other gear from PvE and PvP. Also, Tier 3 was simply the best healing gear possible for Priests & Hybrids as well.

You have to weigh how new raids and new gear will factor into the balance of all the previous gear.
- Is this hypothetical Karazhan raid going to make Tier 3 obsolete for pures the same way BWL gear rendered MC gear obsolete?
- Or will it be more PvP-oriented like Tier 2.5, but entirely outmatch both R13 Gear AND Tier 2.5?

The ONLY way I could see new gear added usefully would be if it were meant for the useless/nonviable specs that we all remember. As a Druid, the only one I can recall is Balance Druids - there just wasn't any solid +spelldmg leather gear that complemented that particular spec for endgame or PvP purposes. There were plenty of other useless specs across the entire class spectrum. The new gear should only serve to encourage the exploration of those particular specs. Nothing more, nothing less.

- The best healing gear (Tier 3) is already in the game and should stop where it is.
- The best pure class DPS gear (Tier 3) is already in the game and should stop where it is.
- Speaking as a Druid, the best Hybrid Feral Druid gear (R13/Tier 2.5) is already in the game and should stop where it is.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them explore options for all of the other non-cookie cutter specs available to all the classes.

Of course, that's all so far down the line at the moment so I'm just going to be an old curmudgeon for the time being and say NO CHANGES!
Someone needs to link me to Blizzard saying definitively that Karazhan was "intended" to be a 40-man raid in Vanilla.
12/08/2017 07:15 AMPosted by Derka
Someone needs to link me to Blizzard saying definitively that Karazhan was "intended" to be a 40-man raid in Vanilla.

Sadly, none of the original forum content is accessible anymore. I still have links to things bookmarked but they all simply redirect back to the top level of the forum now.
Example:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=8765687775&sid=1&pageNo=1
That was the av-constructive critique thread

Not being able to cite quotes does not mean those quotes never happened.