Rank 14

Classic Discussion
11/28/2017 09:44 AMPosted by Rongente
If you had time, you did it.

you couldn't do it alone, so it was definitely more involved than you're making it sound
11/28/2017 09:28 AMPosted by Thepuma
Was this the hardest thing to achieve in wow history i am thinking it is but wonder what you all think
Hard? No. Did it require you to no life it and play wow 24/7? Yes.
Rank 14 had several seasons so to speak.

Season one was at a time when there was no BG in place. You actually had to do world pvp. The first Rank 14s were mostly Rogue, guess why. :) Interesting aspect was, that you actually needed the rank to wear the rewards, so if you dropped, you lost your gear too.

Season two was at a time when a single player of each faction and round about 2-3 could occupy Rank 14 (1) and Rank 13 (2), while BG´s were released.

Season three was at a time when Xrealms did exist and multiple Rank 14 could co exist.

Season one was hard because you had to keep the Rank, so world pvp was important. You had to look for targets, but as I said, Rogues had it easier than for instance a tank or so.

Season two was hard, as most of it happened at BG´s and you had to win the majority of your games, else no climb. Even if you played 14 hours a day, if someone with 8 won 100% and you 50%, you were still outranked by him. It was common to lead a group of players, so that social skills were very important, as you had to keep people motivated and call out the right plays in the right time.

My groups were unbeaten for months and we played a lot of equally geared teams.

But you also had to be a good player, why else should someone play with you if you were bad?

Season three was when the Rank system received it´s terrible reputation of a grind and everyone can do it. It was not hard to get it then, just leech av... Comparable to Arena, it was all about just playing enough.

In the end, the first two season were the true Rank 14 skill check and I think that there was never anything harder at wow. (I did it all)

Since someone mentioned AQ and Naxx... Well, a lot of AQ had serious bugs and for Naxx you needed very specific gear. The preparation to get ready for certain encounters was brutal, we only saw similar again at TBC pre nerf.
This made it so difficult to beat these encounters. By no means would I say it was easy, it certainly required more effort than raiding today.
But I still feel that gaining Rank 14 was a tad harder, as it was against real people and not just scripted mobs.

After raiding everything from Vanilla and TBC, I always felt that you only needed to know your class well and learn about encounters and positioning. Rank 14 however, was a totally different game. You had to know your opponents class, required great social and leadership skills and tactics.
You were making the calls, how your team could take down the enemy BWL geared prot warrior with his healing crew or how your FC could enter the flag room and steal the flag, without being shred to pieces.

It was nothing for bad players early on.

Sadly Season 3 so to speak, killed it all and we can see well at this thread, how many people believe that pvp was always so terrible like at that time.
11/28/2017 12:11 PMPosted by Xjum

you couldn't do it alone, so it was definitely more involved than you're making it sound

And that's what made part of it great and not necessarily for everyone. You were accountable in doing your job. If you weren't good, everyone knew about it.
I don't understand how people can mention win ratios but not win speed. Win ratios are easy with a PUG premade, any group with above average skill and gear and will listen to directions should be able to stomp a bunch of randos. Real pubstomping is about getting 5 caps, not waiting there for 20 minutes defending 3 nodes. There's just about as much of a difference between stomping and an average win and there is between an average win and a loss.
11/28/2017 12:34 PMPosted by Testoraeu
Rank 14 had several seasons so to speak.Season one was at a time when there was no BG in place. You actually had to do world pvp. The first Rank 14s were mostly Rogue, guess why. :) Interesting aspect was, that you actually needed the rank to wear the rewards, so if you dropped, you lost your gear too.Season two was at a time when a single player of each faction and round about 2-3 could occupy Rank 14 (1) and Rank 13 (2), while BG´s were released.Season three was at a time when Xrealms did exist and multiple Rank 14 could co exist.

Great info. I'm wondering how much faction imbalance on some servers would also contribute to how hard it was to R14 in S2. Like could some servers even get full 10v10s? Even if one side was pugging I mean.

As for S3, could you be on a low pop pve server and thus get R14 higher, or did the cross realm battlegroups effect honor gain?

Also, if it was early BGs in S2, did certain players rotate stuff like who gets to cap a flag to push that player up? Or was it pretty laid back and just go for the win?
11/28/2017 12:48 PMPosted by Manhammer

Great info. I'm wondering how much faction imbalance on some servers would also contribute to how hard it was to R14 in S2. Like could some servers even get full 10v10s? Even if one side was pugging I mean.

Yes? There were premades on both sides, often times more than one. They just faced a majority of non-premades most of the time.

As for S3, could you be on a low pop pve server and thus get R14 higher, or did the cross realm battlegroups effect honor gain?

All I can say is that non-premades were even stupider after xrealms because no one knew each other, server metas were different, and there was zero coordination and people mostly just hunted HKs.

Also, if it was early BGs in S2, did certain players rotate stuff like who gets to cap a flag to push that player up? Or was it pretty laid back and just go for the win?

Bonus honor was shared by the group. I can't remember if there was an individual bonus, but if there was, it was certainly less than being out there farming HKs.
11/28/2017 12:48 PMPosted by Manhammer

Yes? There were premades on both sides, often times more than one. They just faced a majority of non-premades most of the time.

All I can say is that non-premades were even stupider after xrealms because no one knew each other, server metas were different, and there was zero coordination and people mostly just hunted HKs.

Bonus honor was shared by the group. I can't remember if there was an individual bonus, but if there was, it was certainly less than being out there farming HKs.

Only a fraction of your main honor came from HKs. Most of it came with wins. What this boils down to is if you were chasing HKs in the middle of the road, you got blacklisted lol.

Only a fraction of your main honor came from HKs. Most of it came with wins. What this boils down to is if you were chasing HKs in the middle of the road, you got blacklisted lol.

Being in mid is better honor than flag running.
Anyone who realistically was grinding rank 14 with a premade colluded to get r14 on their server with the other pvpers. At least they did on my server, we simply set caps and we essentially knew who was gonna be the next r14.
playing warlock legion release and getting kicked from every dungeon because DPS was not high enough no matter how much you went big D**K

Involved? yes, you had to be involved and dedicated. Hard? No, not really.
If you did it alone yes then it would be hard but nod from a gameplay pov. Thats why people shared accounts and more than 1 (sometimes even 5) players played a single char.
11/28/2017 11:09 AMPosted by Hamsterboat
Rank 14 was not hard by all definitions of "hard". There was no difficulty in achieving rank 14, it was simply a massive time commitment. If you had that time commitment and dedication you could easily get rank 14.

Hard would be something along the lines of C'thun (bugged) and prenerf, or many of the vanilla bosses that were released overtuned intentionally, now those were hard.

Hard would be achieving rank 1 in arena or even gladiator for that matter. However, rank 14 was by no means "hard" but mere an absurd time commitment
11/28/2017 01:25 PMPosted by Shlendra
11/28/2017 11:09 AMPosted by Hamsterboat
Rank 14 was not hard by all definitions of "hard". There was no difficulty in achieving rank 14, it was simply a massive time commitment. If you had that time commitment and dedication you could easily get rank 14.

Hard would be something along the lines of C'thun (bugged) and prenerf, or many of the vanilla bosses that were released overtuned intentionally, now those were hard.

Hard would be achieving rank 1 in arena or even gladiator for that matter. However, rank 14 was by no means "hard" but mere an absurd time commitment
https://www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-google&ei=6dMdWqesNZHgjwPm9pQQ&q=dictionary+hard&oq=dictionary+hard&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..0l5.1658.3373.0.4016.6.6.0.1.1.0.169.759.0j5.5.0....0...1.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..1.5.673...0i131k1j0i3k1.108.GZZknMWmmq0

Check out that definition. You owe me 1000 gold.
11/28/2017 01:03 PMPosted by Koushi

Being in mid is better honor than flag running.

The faster you win, the better. No amount of farming HKs, fighting on the road, or anything can catch up to that. What does flag running have to do with anything.

For AB, If you aren't mounted at the intersection (yes, chilling and doing nothing but being vigilant) between farm lumbermill, and BS ..aside from the X people defending (assuming you capped 3) - allocating the minimum number of people to help a certain node, then you were a HK chaser and useless to the group.
11/28/2017 09:48 AMPosted by Shlendra
Scarab Lord...

You needed some serious mind-control powers, or cult-leader level charisma for that one.

How someone could convince 40+ people to work on their behalf to win them a title and mount is still beyond me to this day.
11/28/2017 01:07 PMPosted by Hemorrhoidd
Anyone who realistically was grinding rank 14 with a premade colluded to get r14 on their server with the other pvpers. At least they did on my server, we simply set caps and we essentially knew who was gonna be the next r14.

That's how I got mine.

Exactly, and if you f'cked over the group by doing more than the alotted matches to steal the title you were black listed on your server.
11/28/2017 01:21 PMPosted by Rongente

Involved? yes, you had to be involved and dedicated. Hard? No, not really.
If you did it alone yes then it would be hard but nod from a gameplay pov. Thats why people shared accounts and more than 1 (sometimes even 5) players played a single char.

And if you weren't winning matches going solo you were never getting the rank. Hence why pre-mades were the true way to do it.
11/28/2017 01:54 PMPosted by Armithia

Exactly, and if you f'cked over the group by doing more than the alotted matches to steal the title you were black listed on your server.

ahhh. the times when accountability mattered ....