Does Shadow Priest get better?

Priest
I have been on and off from discipline and shadow in levels 1-100. I think i want to commit to Spriest now, because I like the spells and animations. The rotation is also quite interesting. Ontop of this, I am not the best at healer, so disc isnt really for me.

My main issue is the damage that Spriest does. It feels so low, and takes a while to simply kill a weak mob. Sometimes I feel as if disc hits harder than shadow.

Will i start doing more optimal damage once I hit levem 110 and say 900 ilvl? Is it normal for the spec to be low on dps in the beginning of legion with very low gear?

I have heard mixed reviews about the class. From it being broken and weak, to being strong and overpoweres. I would like to hear what you guys think. :)
No.
once you gear up and stats up, you melt face.

then Blizz melts ur face.

also, dont pvp.
Spriest feels better the more haste you have. It is really frustrating to play it with low haste. Optimal damage depends on your haste, not ilvl. Without any tier or optimal legendaries it becomes "get as much haste as humanly possible", with the right stuff™ it becomes easier. If you want more in-depth information on shadow, there's a lot of people to talk about it on discord.gg/HowToPriest ;)
i have one of everything at max level and my firm belief on Shadow Priest is it's the most situationally dependent class in the game. i think basically every other class in the game can do more with less.

in PVP SP can do top damage/kills/few deaths but that is situation dependent (you have to get lucky and get left alone, it actually does happen a decent amount in random BGs) - 2v2 is a no go, 3v3 you can do very well with the right comps, i dunno much about RBG in Legion but i don't see that many SP in the top 100 so i guess RBG is not an ideal activity for the average SP.

in PVE i feel like there are even more factors that dictate whether SP can shine or not. having the ideal legendary items, the right gear pieces, the right fight types. as far as where SP fits in the current PVE meta, it's one of the better performing specs in Antorus with the right items according to the data. anecdotally, last week i even managed to keep a steady 1.05 million DPS on a pure ST boss and my other SP buddy finished at the same exact DPS mark. all our DPS were over 1 mil for that specific encounter. ST has never really been SP strong point, so i was somewhat encouraged by that. of course that was before the 12% nerfs we got hit with Tuesday morning, and i didn't pay that close attention to my DPS in our N-Antorus raid last night (i was consistently at or near the bottom, but i think that's more a me thing than a SP thing)

TLDR dont play SP if you want to be the best, play SP if you like the class fantasy. that's what keeps me on mine. also i do a lot of random BGs and SP can definitely be random BG gods so

i dunno if you like the class fantasy stick with it. but yeah i do think other classes have it a bit easier in most phases of the game than SP. especially melee. i feel like melee in Legion is pretty brainless
Spriest is garbage unless you're in a raid with perfect gear. I just leveled a paladin and it already has a much easier time doing wq's and stuff as ret in like 840 gear. I really liked Shadow in the past, but in my opinion, it's the most annoying spec blizzard has ever come up with. You're so incredibly weak until you wait and wait and wait for your outrageously long ramp up just to kill something and then do it again for the next mob, or group of them.

12/06/2017 09:45 AMPosted by Desdralis
900 ilvl
You will still feel like crap.
12/06/2017 07:07 PMPosted by Isò
Spriest is garbage unless you're in a raid with perfect gear. I just leveled a paladin and it already has a much easier time doing wq's and stuff as ret in like 840 gear. I really liked Shadow in the past, but in my opinion, it's the most annoying spec blizzard has ever come up with. You're so incredibly weak until you wait and wait and wait for your outrageously long ramp up just to kill something and then do it again for the next mob, or group of them.
It's not an item level issue it's a stat issue. I raid mythic on a ret paladin and most of rets stats are really close to one another so any gear is going to help. Shadow is extreme haste dependent so if your just in gear from world quests and are taking item level over haste that's going to be the biggest problem.
I would vote Spriest as a sweet tool in a raid and mythic plus but I personally prefer holy for solo and questing. You really need to ramp up the shadow to get it rolling but once it's rolling it's a black hole of death. The bigger the health bar the better you'll roll with it, also build up high in haste and forget about ilvl because haste will help you keep the Void glowing and remember to cast torrent on CD for the moment of relaxation and to bring your MB and other insanity generators up
12/06/2017 08:52 PMPosted by Bryiah
It's not an item level issue it's a stat issue.
I'm aware of this. It's a major design flaw, in my opinion. I think it's interesting for specs to have certain stats they prefer, but nowhere near the extent shadow does. It's also just the mechanics of the class as far as low health mobs and questing goes.
12/06/2017 09:44 PMPosted by Isò
I'm aware of this. It's a major design flaw, in my opinion. I think it's interesting for specs to have certain stats they prefer, but nowhere near the extent shadow does. It's also just the mechanics of the class as far as low health mobs and questing goes.
I look at things a little differently because I have every class but one at max level with over 915 item level (well all but one). If all the classes were alike that it would be boring IMO. As a main ret paladin I have to sim EVERYTHING, how does someone who doesn't sim know whats an upgrade or not? Having some specs that focus greatly on one or two stats makes gearing less complex in many ways while helping to make the specs feel unique. Not saying it's perfect just different, but different isn't always bad.
they're great in rbgs.
12/06/2017 09:55 AMPosted by Iisk

also, dont pvp.

Errr?

I had no issues leveling through pvp has shadow and still having a blast at max level.
12/06/2017 09:44 PMPosted by Isò
12/06/2017 08:52 PMPosted by Bryiah
It's not an item level issue it's a stat issue.

Its definitely a flaw. When they did the secondary stat adjustment in Legion (I think it was before ToV? I don't remember exactly), one of their reasons was that the secondary stat on gear mattered too much, that gear 15 ilvls higher or so should just always be an upgrade.