Thoughts from the Private Server World

Classic Discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXCP-ONKCOc

Many of you have no doubt seen this video by Dodgykebaab, the well-known private server reviewer. But he makes some good points about changes to Vanilla and I'd like to share those points with the community (if only because they are similar to some ideas I've been promoting). What is interesting about his recommendations, however, is that they are predicated on the observation that the original Vanilla experience can never be recreated unless certain changes occur. To this end, he makes the point that...

The feeling of discovery is gone! You'll be playing the same game again. Having a world full of people all embarking on a new journey and trying out what works is over thanks to years of theorycrafting.

But, he says, if Blizz could reinject that sense of newness back into the game all the while staying true to the original look and feel of Vanilla, well... that could help make Classic actually feel like Vanilla. Here's how he expresses this idea:

Personally, I find the idea of Blizzard refreshing Vanilla quite appealing so long as they can do this and keep all the changes within the slower, grind-heavy style of Vanilla. I think you'd have the best of both worlds - a version of Warcraft that has the gameplay style that I like, but mixes it up enough [such] all the guides become irrelevant.

I think he's onto something when he observes that unless changes occur that serve to recover that sense of adventure and newness, we'll be disappointed.

I take no position on the specific changes he's suggesting except I like the idea of trying to recover the sense of what made Vanilla so appealing, vis, the newness and the community of players working together to overcome the unknown.
im not actually saying that they should change this, but why are most zones surrounded by mountains?
is it just so that, for example, mulgore is separated from desolace and feralas?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXCP-ONKCOc

Many of you have no doubt seen this video by Dodgykebaab, the well-known private server reviewer.

kek

No, I haven't. No idea who he is. Won't click on it.
I dont know who that chump is but in see what was cherry picked he's right.

It is not the same experience we all had 13 years ago and never will be. Those remain in your hearts, minds, and souls. I'm never going to get those back and trying to re-create them in Classic will probably hurt the feels in the long run. Better left in here *points to his heart*. And the biggest problem to that is there can be no argument for/against it.

The only thing I can and have suggested to bring the sense of newness is a class balance and making all specs viable without role blocked.
And make the ability to find groups and go into dungeons and raids easier so a larger group of people can experience that.
I'm not saying give free purples or insta-teleport to dungeons or even XP boosts. Make the ability to group and find groups easier is all.

"But ODurren I never raided or dungeon and I still had plenty of fun in Vanilla"
See the paragraph above about not being the same experience.

12/05/2017 11:24 AMPosted by Tarregor
is it just so that, for example, mulgore is separated from desolace and feralas?

In vanilla you're supposed to follow a 100% linear quest chain that started at the beginning. They were surrounded by mountains as separators.
I have zero respect for anyone who makes a profit from private servers and, unless I'm mistaken, a lot these youtube people who make private server videos use their status to make money. Not all of them do, but a lot of them do, and I don't think their channels should be linked here.
12/05/2017 11:06 AMPosted by Shebà
Many of you have no doubt seen this video by Dodgykebaab, the well-known private server reviewer. But he makes some good points about changes to Vanilla and I'd like to share those points with the community (if only because they are similar to some ideas I've been promoting). What is interesting about his recommendations, however, is that they are predicated on the observation that the original Vanilla experience can never be recreated unless certain changes occur. To this end, he makes the point that...

He is missing the entire point of Vanilla or Classic or what ever you want to call it.

Blizzard is doing this project because first there are an absolute crap ton of people who want to play it.

Second because its its gaming HISTORY, its a way to preserve a work of art. Numerous companies have already gone this rout on several of their old titles because they were games that made history and changed the landscape of gaming.

This is why Blizzard stated Vanilla "We know Vanilla means Vanilla"

https://clips.twitch.tv/SingleOddDiscBleedPurple

Blizzard isn't stupid, they know who the target audience is, and they already know what their goals are; they have been working on this project for a lot longer than most of you realize.

Its easily been going on since they chose to shut down Original Nost, because they are PROTECTING their market share.
i only agree with the 0.18 part of the video.
and Dodgykebaab has played the game so much at this point i don't think he is even interested in classic wow that's probably why he is calling for change.

then there is the rest of us that want it just how it was.....
12/05/2017 11:24 AMPosted by Tarregor
im not actually saying that they should change this, but why are most zones surrounded by mountains?

It's because they wanted to fit stuff roughly geographically on the maps they had and in between zones are huge empty expanses. The mountains are there to block you from seeing what you're not supposed to see and to keep you from going there.

That's why Cata changed the world so much, they couldn't add flying without remaking basically the entire thing.
lmao its the same guy who got caught buying golds on elysium. the same guy who plays on a p2w wotlk meme server. ive formed my own opinion by playing on different blizzlike vanilla realms. i dont want to hear is bs at all.
I don't know why everyone is so caught up in the "feeling of discovery" or reliving playing the game for the first time again. To me it's not about that at all. It's about the design and mechanics in Vanilla.
Never heard of him but sounds like a tool who just wants attention and push his own gold buying agenda out of laziness.

Op sure seems to think highly of him - assuming we probably have no doubt watched his videos. Op sure you aren't dodgykebab?

Sounds like a tool to me
The clown of pservers, gold buyer, p2w servers promoter, custom server lover whom never achieved anything in any server? Yea lets listen to this youtuber. You should think and do some research before posting, mate.
What he's missing is that many ppl that never played before Cata are going to be experiencing an entire new world for the first time.

So no. Don't reinvent for ppl that have been playing it for years.
A lot of us (like myself) don't want Classic to relive our youth or try and get the experience of playing WoW for the first time again, we want Classic because we just like that game better than current wow. Trying to make Classic all "Fresh and new" again is irrelevant to a lot of us (The majority of us I'd wager)
12/05/2017 11:39 AMPosted by Odurren

The only thing I can and have suggested to bring the sense of newness is a class balance and making all specs viable without role blocked.

I believe this is necessary to prevent a drastic class imbalance (the opposite of the Vanilla experience). Both poll data and private server data supports this. The intended classes are so far out of whack, it will be a much less fun game imo.
And make the ability to find groups and go into dungeons and raids easier so a larger group of people can experience that.

This I disagree with. The act of it being difficult to get a group, means you will much more likely continue with the same group if you wipe. This is a big thing that was lost with the increase in the "ease of getting a group". This is essential for the most fun parts of the game, and the feeling of accomplishment. It also increases learning, when you are forced to learn, rather than pick someone else who already knows up. Teaching someone who makes a mistake also increases community interaction.
I would all be for changing/randomizing some quest-related locations. Mankrik's wife, Tirion Fordring, Duke Hydraxis, those items for druid water form in the middle of the ocean...

I would also be glad if they change the balance/itemization slightly, so people can theorycraft about BiS lists again. But it's scary, slippery slope and stuff.

I'm fine if they leave things as is. The feeling of discovery won't be the same anyway. And it will be similar for those who don't google much and didn't play on private servers.
12/05/2017 01:18 PMPosted by Oopsüdied
What he's missing is that many ppl that never played before Cata are going to be experiencing an entire new world for the first time.

I think this an important part that people need to emphasize. Making changes removes the chance for post-vanilla/tbc players to experience it. Imagine being told for almost a decade how amazing something was and not being able to experience that for yourself. Now that opportunity is here and self-entitled people want to take that from them..
12/05/2017 12:58 PMPosted by Jentso
I don't know why everyone is so caught up in the "feeling of discovery" or reliving playing the game for the first time again. To me it's not about that at all. It's about the design and mechanics in Vanilla.

So much this. What do you people think we are, stupid? We know damned well the world isn't going to be wondrous and new. Can't speak for everyone but between 04 and about 2010 I spent a lot of time in the original realm, I leveled at least 4 or 5 characters through it.

I don't expect it to be "new" or "different." Anyone that does is a bit of a tool. Unless maybe they joined after Cata, then they can expect it to be new. As for me, I expect it to be the same old sh** I was playing happily for several years before Cataclysm poisoned the well too much for my taste.
12/05/2017 11:06 AMPosted by Shebà

He is missing the entire point of Vanilla or Classic or what ever you want to call it.

Blizzard is doing this project because first there are an absolute crap ton of people who want to play it.

Second because its its gaming HISTORY, its a way to preserve a work of art. Numerous companies have already gone this rout on several of their old titles because they were games that made history and changed the landscape of gaming.

This is why Blizzard stated Vanilla "We know Vanilla means Vanilla"

https://clips.twitch.tv/SingleOddDiscBleedPurple

Blizzard isn't stupid, they know who the target audience is, and they already know what their goals are; they have been working on this project for a lot longer than most of you realize.

Its easily been going on since they chose to shut down Original Nost, because they are PROTECTING their market share.

This.

Also, bringing back Vanilla is a win-win. Either you have people who played it and loved it so much they want it viable again OR people who didn't get a chance to play it (either at all, or at a high level).

The cost absolutely justifies the means, or it wouldn't be happening.
Why do people want to tinker with and change ancient artifacts instead of preserving them as they were?

Idiots...