P60 people have ruined Classic for me

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
EDIT: Too many people apparently can't be bothered to parse a decent amount of text, so in plain English, the point I'm trying to make is that if Classic community is anything like the P60 community, Classic will be a terrible experience.

Obviously P60 doesn't replicate Classic because Cataclysm happened.

I also edited the title so maybe people don't just come in here with the wrong idea...

---

I'm sure by this point we've all read/heard/experienced Project 60, an event organized by streamers in order to hype up the approach of Classic servers. Having started in Vanilla, but not really engaging in endgame until Wrath, I was mildly interested in what Classic servers offered in terms of endgame - namely, those original 40-man raids of yesteryear. So earlier this week I rolled a Human Warrior on Moon Guard with intent to join one of the P60 guilds and enjoy tanking MC, BWL, and AQ alongside likeminded players.

Unfortunately, that's not what I got. Instead, what I found is that most of the players in this event are COMPLETELY detestable.

There are thousands - literally THOUSANDS - of players taking part in P60 on Moon Guard, in many different guilds. I'm sure that not all of them watch the streams of those who organized this event, since I don't. I just read about this on these very servers and it piqued my interest.

However, after doing Deadmines and Stockades with some of the guildies, I decided to level up entirely through questing (which ends up being way faster because you can't use summoning stones), and after tanking a Molten Core run last night, I've decided to retire the effort completely.

One of the greatest nostalgia factors about Vanilla is the community. Reputation mattered, and people actually had to work together. I have experienced none of that in P60. While I only saw a few talk about harassing roleplayers on their home server, most interactions between participants is a huge circle-jerk about how "Legion sucks, WoD sucks, MoP sucks, Cata sucks" from people who also claim to have quit at the end of Wrath. Then these same people, who claim to be of a superior breed, flounder helplessly because they refuse to adapt to the way that classes, dungeons, and the world have changed over the years.

Furthermore, for those who seek to return to the days of rigorous, organized PvE, I've never seen a less patient crowd in my life. I literally had people pulling raid bosses for me. RAID BOSSES. We're limited to 6 people per raid (another freaking stupid rule, but that's another point), so we're already handicapped, and you wanna pull for me?

You guys ever seen a level 60 ret paladin get absolutely trashed by Ossirian the Unscarred? It's extremely funny. Especially when that person begins to harass the tanks and healers for failing.

I thought that I would be able to get a sense for the mature, disciplined crowd that understood certain old-timey mannerisms from back in the first days of WoW. Instead I met hundreds of people who can't get over themselves, and who are extremely interested in Classic servers.

If Project 60 is any indication of the caliber of people who will be playing on Classic servers when they come out - I will absolutely be sticking to the live servers. I prefer my memories of Vanilla to be untarnished.
Or you could try it when it actually comes out instead of experiencing it artificially.
11/18/2017 05:21 AMPosted by Sigtyr
I thought that I would be able to get a sense for the mature, disciplined crowd that understood certain old-timey mannerisms from back in the first days of WoW. Instead I met hundreds of people who can't get over themselves, and who are extremely interested in Classic servers.

If Project 60 is any indication of the caliber of people who will be playing on Classic servers when they come out - I will absolutely be sticking to the live servers. I prefer my memories of Vanilla to be untarnished.

Classic servers will likely weed out most of the crowd you are describing. Raiding, and hell even playing, took far more patience back then. There was very little of the instant gratification style gaming that we have in WoW today.

You also hit the nail on the head. What made the game great (for me) back then was the sense of community on the server. It wasn't play mechanics and changes that ruined that, it was cross-server tech completely removing that sense of being part of a small world. WoW feels like a single player RPG now because the names you encounter don't matter. Player rep (good or bad) is a thing of the past.

Progress from the dev standpoint, and probably for the console FPS crowd. People that like to "hop right into the action." It really killed the sense of collectively working towards a goal for me though. It's why I stopped paying $$ for game time and went to tokens.
11/18/2017 05:30 AMPosted by Yyöp
Or you could try it when it actually comes out instead of experiencing it artificially.

I think the point went over your head. Of course we can't replicate the Vanilla experience...Cataclysm happened. Not to mention changes to talents and classes.

The point is, in an attempt to seriously enjoy Vanilla content and get even the barest glimpse of what playing on Classic servers will be like, I was severely disappointed by the very people who claim to be excited for the upcoming reintroduction of Vanilla.
That’s awful. Maybe you could grab a group of friends and do it together instead :) you don’t have to be part of that event.
im on moonguard and i barely notice them
Welcome to the cancer that is the internet.

I would recommend finding a guild somewhere else on retail and if some of them decide to play classic I would go with them. A large portion of the "twitch" community is nothing but entitled ego driven jerks. They can never do harm, they are always right, and they above all know exactly what this game needs. In their minds at least.
Project 60 is a joke. Experience gain, mob/dungeon/raid difficulty, gold drop rates are MUCH more forgiving now than they ever were in Vanilla. There won’t be an authentic Vanilla experience until Blizzard launches the classic servers.
Half of those guys that are playing P60 won’t last in vanilla. The questing took some people 2-3 days. It’s way longer than that.

The time commitment and general dedication to vanilla and the overall grind is going to weed out a ton of people. Stopping and drinking after you eat, commitment to 1 spec because spec swapping is way too expensive, the overall community having a way different mindset than back in 2004, class balance, pvp balance, etc.

I’m gonna be playing on the server during retail downtime’s but some people absolutely refuse to acknowledge that vanilla is a massive grind/time commitment. Those people will eventually leave and the hardcore vanilla crowd will be left, which is good.
11/18/2017 05:41 AMPosted by Kwahili
11/18/2017 05:37 AMPosted by Jjayss
im on moonguard and i barely notice them

Too busy with two handfuls of futa, eh?

Pfffft.
And this, my friends, is what we call ignorance at its finest.

Also: Jjayss, this thread wasn't about Moonguard. Helps to read.
Furthermore, for those who seek to return to the days of rigorous, organized PvE, I've never seen a less patient crowd in my life

This is specifically why I wont ever touch it. IF i want rigorous, I can look back over some of my RL occupations and remember the procedures and processes that were akin to a straitjacket.

My gaming time is for me to do what I want, not what others expect me to do.

As for your comment on patience, all you need to do to see why this comes as no surprise to me is this forum where people insist on a "Too long didnt read" summary because they are too lazy to read a basic post.

It seems to be a tall order for them to read a few paragraphs...Guy Montag's world seems more of a reality now than it did forty years ago.

Sad. Pathetic. But true.

(By the way Mr Toffler, you called it. Every single facet. I read your books and you nailed it. How did you know what was coming?)

Waiting a few minutes for a raid boss or world boss and people are jumping around like a demented jack in the box. Hand them a copy of War and Peace and they will freak "this is too long I cant read this".

(BTW yes I have read it , and Anna Karenina, and I routinely read novels that are 1000 pages long. Or more.)

Patience, it seems, is in very short supply these days.
As mentioned above, I think a lot of the "go, go, gogogogo" types will be weeded out by the more sedate pace of Vanilla.
Can people remember the Alliance side quest chain "The Missing Diplomat"? Something like thirteen stages spread across five or so zones and a dozen levels. Things like that require patience (as Aehl mentioned) which just seems lacking.
11/18/2017 05:53 AMPosted by Thallia
11/18/2017 05:41 AMPosted by Kwahili

Too busy with two handfuls of futa, eh?

Pfffft.
And this, my friends, is what we call ignorance at its finest.

Also: Jjayss, this thread wasn't about Moonguard. Helps to read.

Leave me alone, you mutated troll!
These people will not play classic, for long. They think they are "experiencing" classic, they deceive themselves. More health, more mana, faster resource regeneration, no eating/drinking, streamlined quest layout throughout the game, nerfed bosses, nerfed dungeons, etc. They are merely thinking they are pre-experiencing the Classic server experience.

About that "thousands and thousands" on moon guard, no, sorry, I don't see it. I doubt there are even "Hundreds". For Alliance side, on this one server, maybe up to 100, maybe. But they are intentionally noisy and rude, for the most part. Just ignore them. I turned trade channels off when it all started, I almost never notice them now.
Implying project 60 is even a fraction of what vanilla was.....good joke OP
This game has changed so much it would be impossible to attempt to recreate Vanilla on current servers. You should just wait until the actual classic server is up.
Eurydicel

I quested pre Cata in 1000 Needles. I did all of the zones, and I remember the Great Lift, Camp T, the Barrens pre Deathwing, and the very long quest chains in Desolace.

Have done the entire Wrathgate questline start to end...and I did the entire K5 / Sons of Hodir start to finish. Remember the drakkensyrd?

If I was interested Id look at Classic, but I prefer to do my own thing at my own speed and be at NO ONES back and call. I like WOW as it is, I enjoy it immensely.

BTW one note: time consuming = / = hard or difficult. Those two are often intermingled and the concept is dead wrong. Using DOS 6.22 is time consuming, but hard?

No.
Those people won't stick around for Classic, so you'll be fine.
Can't wait to see the P60 people flood to the forums and whine...I'll get the popcorn ready!