WoW's overall storyline (your two cents)

General Discussion
Ever since Arthas died the game has taken a noticeable dip in story quality.

This takes me back to an interview at the time where a Blizzard staff member said they we're going to focus more on gameplay than story for their games.

I didn't believe it at first, but after Starcraft 2 Legacy of the void, and the last two WoW expansions, I do now.

The worst thing the writers did was the reformatting of The Horde as a faction. Going from a band of misfits and outcast who weren't strangers to peace but ready to fight for their place, to nothing but pure villains to push the plot forward.

"WoW died with Arthas." I use to laugh at that. But the game didn't start dipping in quality until Cataclysm onward.
WoW's writing has been at the quality of the 90s Power Rangers show (and with many of the same storylines) for a long time now; if Sargeras had popped out of the cloud and been revealed to actually have been Rita Repulsa all along, nobody would have been the least bit surprised.

Blizzard have just spent too much time randomly making up, adding, changing, and removing things on a whim as long as those elements are, by their own admission, something "cool". The world of the game is just too inconsistent to be drawn in by at this stage, with so many shallow, underdeveloped characters, ridiculous plot points, abandoned storylines, and disappointing resolutions.

Yes, it's "just a video game", but there are many, many "just video games" that aren't so lazily thrown together when it comes to their worlds, characters and stories.

If you're disappointed by the increasing contempt Blizzard appears to have for its own creation, your best bet is just to play the game for its extensive virtual stamp collecting elements, and treat the bare-bones story as a framework for that, as you would with the mobile games it has pulled so much from.
Team Sparkly Vampire, or Team Shirtless Werewolf?
F-. I've read Skymall advertisements that have been more enthralling.
11/28/2017 09:57 PMPosted by Lewdpaw
Ever since Arthas died the game has taken a noticeable dip in story quality.

This takes me back to an interview at the time where a Blizzard staff member said they we're going to focus more on gameplay than story for their games.

I didn't believe it at first, but after Starcraft 2 Legacy of the void, and the last two WoW expansions, I do now.

The worst thing the writers did was the reformatting of The Horde as a faction. Going from a band of misfits and outcast who weren't strangers to peace but ready to fight for their place, to nothing but pure villains to push the plot forward.

"WoW died with Arthas." I use to laugh at that. But the game didn't start dipping in quality until Cataclysm onward.

I too thought the same, I laughed when people said that "WoW died with Arthas" but now I can see that it is actually true and has been true for the last 7-6 years. MoP had great story telling minus the face-heel turn that the Horde went through. WoD was the worst concept of an expansion, NEVER DO TIME-TRAVEL. I think BFA will be another WoD like expansion that will bend the storyline and character development for the sake of faction conflict and try to keep the game going on as long as blizzard can until they are done milking it.
11/28/2017 02:08 PMPosted by Dreadfury
Once WoD got involved everything stopped making sense.

Never, ever, EVER get time travel involved in anything.

Indeed. But on the flipside, it did lead to Legion so maaaaaaaaaaaybe it was worth it?
WoW's story has been on the decline since the end of WOTLK. I think Blizz in general just isn't that great at telling stories anymore like they use to because when you look at some of the past expansions, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3..You can see that they've gone downhill over the years in regards to their writing.
Its a good story, but not one you hold in high regards as the pinnacle of story telling
It's terrible. But I don't play wow for the main story.