New to WoW.

General Discussion
Hey guys, I've been off and on with WoW. I've never really paid attention to the story and never really cared too much about it. I've recent renewed my sub because I've found a new love for Blizzard games. With that being said I decided to give WoW another shot and since I am familiar with MMOs like FFXIV, I'd like to get into the story and everything to fully enjoy this MMO. My questions I guess are, what is a good server to join where new players like me can talk and hangout with people or I guess just a server that is well populated. Also what character class to choose. I am currently in Laughing Skull I believe.
Are you looking for a normal server, a RP server, or a PVP server?
You can experience most of the story solo, so your server won't matter.
12/07/2017 10:10 AMPosted by Sneakisneaki

Im not sure really, I'm still kinda new x) what would you recommend?
12/07/2017 10:11 AMPosted by Mineotor

Ah okay, but I wouldnt be able to play with friends? How does that work? Can we both do the story together?
12/07/2017 10:34 AMPosted by Chicopedazos
12/07/2017 10:10 AMPosted by Sneakisneaki

Im not sure really, I'm still kinda new x) what would you recommend?

Not a PvP server. You will be killed endlessly by other players higher level than you, they get off on it.

PvE server. Its a just a normal server, normal people, nothing special or unqiue.

RP server. Is unique with a few more rules such as naming. Here people roleplay their characters in game with the chat and what not.

I suggest PVE to start. RP once you learn the lore and story of the game more.
12/07/2017 10:36 AMPosted by Chicopedazos
12/07/2017 10:11 AMPosted by Mineotor

Ah okay, but I wouldnt be able to play with friends? How does that work? Can we both do the story together?

Anyone on another server can join your group.

If you are not opposed to starting on a new server, my guild on Alleria is fun and helpful.

Im at work right now but feel free to add me on bnet SuperMage#115108.
Come to the RP server Moon Guard. Our main city is Goldshire. We're all super friendly and we'll teach you all about WoW.
12/07/2017 10:42 AMPosted by Craghide
Come to the RP server Moon Guard. Our main city is Goldshire. We're all super friendly and we'll teach you all about WoW.

itsatrap.jpg

Don't do that.
12/07/2017 10:43 AMPosted by Lewdlady

itsatrap.jpg

Don't do that.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Come with me, and you'll be in a world of pure imagination...

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.
Anything you want to, do it.
Wanta change the World (of Warcraft)?
There's nothing...to it.
If you are looking to get into the story, be aware that you will out level it and some quest givers won't have the explanation point above their head anymore. You can still acquire the quests by talking to them though. You just have to know where to look. I am attempting to play for the story too.
I've heard Dalaran is pretty good for new players, and by all reports have a fairly decent community. It's a standard PvE server, with a fairly equal ratio H to A.

Avoid people / places like this at all costs. Creepy. No other way to put it.

For tips on your class / spec, go here...
https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/

For quest help and item search, go here...
http://www.wowdb.com/

You can also use wowhead.com, but I'd recommend against it unless you are using every type of add/malware blocker available.
Being on the same server as your friends can be beneficial (you can trade goods with eachother, including gold).
What class did you play in FFXIV? Based on that I may be able to give a recommendation. Although the gameplay is fairly different between the two, as melee classes have strict position requirements and literal rotations, whereas WoW is "stand behind the boss" and priority based these days.
I can recommend these servers:

Dalaran (PvE) - its on "new players" list, has a robust auction house, LOADS of new players so you have lots of company, and friendly guilds inviting new players.

Wyrmrest Accord - its a role-play server with a wonderful community. Not all people role-play but if you're interested in learning how then its the place to go. Lots of guilds with friendly people. WrA has a very large player community and robust auction house.
May I suggest Moon Guard? You get all the benefits of a PvE server, with all the benefits of a RPing server! Also, only a handful of them are crazy, others like myself are quite normal. Honestly.

Don't judge me!
12/07/2017 02:02 PMPosted by Cromthok
What class did you play in FFXIV? Based on that I may be able to give a recommendation. Although the gameplay is fairly different between the two, as melee classes have strict position requirements and literal rotations, whereas WoW is "stand behind the boss" and priority based these days.

I was going for Black/White Mage, I basically like being the guy to heal you and power the team up. I usually play support in Overwatch.
12/07/2017 02:14 PMPosted by Angenie
I can recommend these servers:

Dalaran (PvE) - its on "new players" list, has a robust auction house, LOADS of new players so you have lots of company, and friendly guilds inviting new players.

Wyrmrest Accord - its a role-play server with a wonderful community. Not all people role-play but if you're interested in learning how then its the place to go. Lots of guilds with friendly people. WrA has a very large player community and robust auction house.

Ill give it a try thank :)
hmmm
For ALL things story-related, go to Nobbel87. He has the most in-depth explanations about things. Here is the link to his Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX34tk-noBVC4WVC9qQGyMw

BellularGaming will publish lore videos as well, but is known to make up lore so he can say its bad. He has a very flippant use of the term "retcon".