Removal of Heirloom Gear Discussion

General Discussion
I did not see anything recently posted regarding this specific topic so I figured we could have a discussion regarding it.

Has the WoWDev team had any discussions regarding the removal of heirloom gear in the 7.3.5 scaling or potentially in the next expansion?

I only make this suggestion to see if it is worthwhile to explore. As it stands, heirlooms have trivialized the leveling, content and story experience. I also see an opportunity with the zone scaling to improve this by the removal of the heirloom gear.

The XP bonus could be modified to be a passive buff that a player could enable/disable depending on their level of heirloom achievement in the past. As for the gear it should be removed.

This would offer players a more lucrative enviroment for gearing up characters as we reroll mains and level alt characters. The quest rewards, dungeons, raids and even the AH economy would be an integral part of the entire gaming experience again as we level. Players would no longer need to focus on grinding to max level to only "experience" WoWs end-game gear, story and content.

Thoughts?
Then just don’t use the gear
They need to make aspecific server that you cannot use heirlooms or any lvling boosts.

Otherwise, no just don't use them yourself if you don't like to level fast.
12/05/2017 09:11 PMPosted by Hordäk
Has the WoWDev team had any discussions regarding the removal of heirloom gear in the 7.3.5 scaling or potentially in the next expansion?

Probably not. Alot of people like their Heirlooms.
As it stands, heirlooms have trivialized the leveling, content and story experience. I also see an opportunity with the zone scaling to improve this by the removal of the heirloom gear.

They're getting nerfed already. XP stays the same, stats are lower.
As for the gear it should be removed.

No. It shouldn't. Stop trying to ruin my ability to make alts because you don't like fun.
This would offer players a more lucrative enviroment for gearing up characters as we reroll mains and level alt characters.

Entirely speculation.
The quest rewards, dungeons, raids and even the AH economy would be an integral part of the entire gaming experience again as we level.

They already are one, if you don't use the Heirlooms. If I want to speed through, I should be allowed to.
Players would no longer need to focus on grinding to max level to only "experience" WoWs end-game gear, story and content.

Yes they would. MMOs are entirely about grinding. That's the core of an MMO.
I did not see anything recently posted regarding this specific topic

probably because it's a terrible idea.
Go play a classic server when they come out.
I too believe that heirlooms are best suited on leveling Ogres to get them up to speed and bashing Elf faces quickly.

Unfortunately we don't have playable Ogres yet and I share your frustration about that.

I appreciate you and your angry post about detailing all the reasons we should have them but dont.

Good post OP +1
It wasn't for a personal experience alone, it was for an overall game experience for everyone. AH economy alone, during the leveling aspect of it cannot be improved if players have access to heirloom gear. I also did not say I did not like leveling fast, I did mention keeping the XP buff as a passive which could not be done if I only opted out of using the gear. The point was to make questing and dungeons relavant while you level, kind of the point of a MMO, don't you think? With the WoW team looking to add scaling to all previous leveling zones, it kind of feels like that is the direction they want to take it, make the leveling experience relavant again. Removing heirlooms is a next logical step to further that experience, imo.
Use your self control and not use heirloom gear

You did n't pay for other ppl's copy of the game, you didn't pay for their subs either
You don't dictate their game-play

There are folks that have done it several times and would love to reach max level quickly unless ofcourse you are willing to pay a 60$ boost for them :)
I'm not sure they can take them away in good conscience given people have spent a few hundred thousand gold on them.
As it stands, heirlooms have trivialized the leveling, content and story experience.

Thatsthepoint.jpg
I did not see anything recently posted regarding this specific topic so I figured we could have a discussion regarding it.

I only make this suggestion to see if it is worthwhile to explore. As it stands, heirlooms have trivialized the leveling, content and story experience. I also see an opportunity with the zone scaling to improve this by the removal of the heirloom gear.

The XP bonus could be modified to be a passive buff that a player could enable/disable depending on their level of heirloom achievement in the past. As for the gear it should be removed.

This would offer players a more lucrative enviroment for gearing up characters as we reroll mains and level alt characters. The quest rewards, dungeons, raids and even the AH economy would be an integral part of the entire gaming experience again as we level. Players would no longer need to focus on grinding to max level to only "experience" WoWs end-game gear, story and content.

Thoughts?

in one of the next large patches (7.3.5, which now up on PTR, or later at launch of BfA) they are not removing the gear but they are nerfing it to heck, still levels with you and gives XP but it is no longer basically the BiS gear for your level (under max), they are apparently tuning it so that nothing will be getting one-shot'd by lowbies in heirlooms. related more with how the region lvl scaling works and less with wanting to nerf the gear itself and has to do with reducing how fast we get xp in this new system, because apparently it equates to something like a 10-30% increase on avg past lvl 10 or so, just with the new zone lvling system.
You can remove my heirlooms when you pry them from my cold dead corpse.
Yeah, removing the stuff people dropped hundreds of thousands of gold on, and past currencies, would totally roll over well.
Heirlooms exist for those of us who have leveled one or more characters to max level the long way already. They exist explicitly to speed up the process of leveling alts AND remove the tedium of gearing up throughout the leveling process. They let us get new characters up into current content with as little pain and hassle as possible.
Why? I myself don't like to "explore" so speed leveling for endgame content is what makes the game fun for me, however, if you like to explore and take your time - my decision to speed level does not affect your experience. Go level without heirlooms, we won't ever meet and I won't ever comment on why you don't have heirlooms, I'll be doing my endgame 110 content while you do your thing reading quests or whatever it is you consider exploring low level wow content in dead zones.
ugh that name
Im not even gonna bother with heritage armor if they remove heirlooms
12/05/2017 10:35 PMPosted by Ehrin
Heirlooms exist for those of us who have leveled one or more characters to max level the long way already.

That is not correct. Any character with gold can purchase them. My first character started buying heirlooms at 80 with gold she had earned.

They exist explicitly to speed up the process of leveling alts AND remove the tedium of gearing up throughout the leveling process. They let us get new characters up into current content with as little pain and hassle as possible.

Leveling is already tedious and irrelevant. Time spent gearing up is time wasted before end game.

People would be outraged if heirlooms were removed after they invested hundreds of thousands of gold in them. Yes, they would quit.
No, they haven't discussed doing something like that, and thankfully they will likely never consider it.