Elves. Who's migrating?

Wyrmrest Accord
Elves. People like them, some dont. But regardless of polarizing opinions about them they are among the most played races in the game. And this time Blizzard as opted to add not one, but two brands of elf in the pot of playable races. Uniquely, the Void Elves and Nightborne are, in the most basic of terms, reskins of the current playable Blood Elves and Night Elves.

I remember way back when that it was brought up, source non-withstanding, that Blood Elves were added to the Horde to bring players to shift the stark population imbalance in Vanilla. This toon was originally a Night Elf before I left the Alliance to play a belf warlock when BC launched, then finally race changed once that option was available. And I can admit that I did not main the Horde in the beginning because it didn't have “pretty” races-and that's even though I mained Horde as my faction of choice in WCIII-Tauren Chieften's brah.

So I'm curious will there be a schism and a similar migration of alts and mains now that essentially blood elves are playable Alliance and Night Elves are going Horde or do you think the game has matured where faction population shifts are based on more things than just aesthetics?

I already have the names/concepts for my Void Elf and LFDraenei but it's less for RP and more to use this as an opportunity to flesh out my roster blue side for PvP but I am curious to whether I'll run into some familiar faces from say the Blood elf community on Alliance or even the Night Elf groups/mains moving over Horde side.
I will only add the new races to see the story lines. I doubt anything could make me want to change from a Dirtback as my main. having been one since nilla, I just do not see that happening.
I'm interested to see how it pans out. My only hope is the communities on either side don't create a toxic, knee-jerk environment. If this is a long time player's first exposure to the other faction, it would be a shame if it little more than an angst-fest.

I've already had an unfortunate number of off-hand comments from making friends on either side where they've been written off months (perhaps even a year) before they appear on the scene.

Edit: On topic. I'll have one as I unlock everything but unless they have the Paladin class, I tend to be the "One Main At A Time" type of person and I already benched my Warrior. I've got so much catch up to do, I can't imagine having a legitimate alt for a while.
I'm thinking of having Layam afflicted with void-elf-itis but I don't know if a Paladin, who embodies the Light, could survive that change.
Lleo is primed to void it up. It will be my first elf character and while I have the basics of a story in mind (Ex-Sunfury/Scryer spy. Fell into the Twisting Nether. Maybe.) there's still much to adjust to as far as elvish roleplaying goes. Particularly elf names.
I almost feel like I shouldn't respond to this thread, just because I've already shrieked about my void elf plans to everyone who would listen and about 1000 people who really just wanted me to shut the hell up. I'm personally moving less out of a desire for a pretty character & more to develop a story that I'd thrown together & that fit perfectly with the velves. I've always been drawn to the question of how people would react when they're unceremoniously tossed out of their homes by their people-- that's one thing that drew me to deaders, but I like how velves get that without the evilness that comes with forsaken RP. I personally don't love evil RP, & so I'm migrating to follow a story (&, hopefully, RP culture) that interests me. I'm sure some people will shift due to aesthetics, but in the chats I've heard in the velf discord, it seems like it's more out of genuine story interest than character aesthetics. I am very interested to see how the community begins and matures, though.
I'll definitely play the intro questlines, but I can't split focus on multiple characters most of the time to save my life, so I'll be sticking to Barnabas for 99.9% of my actual play time.
My dream is one of each class per faction on this server. You can bet I'm going to make one of each elf race.
Gonna make a Void based off Eliot from the magicians. For a day at least.
Honestly I'll probably pick one or the other and focus on leveling them.

Void Elves have so far the dumbest backstory I've ever seen. But are visually very interesting AND Alliance side.

Nightborne have a compelling storyline, are visually pretty great but are Horde side.

It is a wash then for me right there. The Nightborne are really intersting but Horde side RP isn't my favorite, and I fear the Nightborne becoming "House Guild 2: Electric Boogaloo". Void Elves could go either way. I fully expect the 3edgy5me types to proliferate, but there is a chance.... A CHANCE.... that some of the good lore of the High/Blood Elves can be explored and maybe because they aren't blood elves and are homeless, the Noble House problem in Silvermoon can be avoided.
Me

Fully moving from Kaldorei to Shal'dorei the moment they're available

For now I wait
Though I'd never play an elf myself, I am actually really glad that they're adding two new varieties to the game because I'm hoping (in addition to the arrival of Zandalari specifically) it redistributes the staggering disproportion of blood elves. Not that I have anything against individual blood elves or their players, it just really unsettles me that there are so many, and no matter what excuses people make, I did not pick Horde 12 years ago to be surrounded by blood elves.

So I say bring on the nightborne and the void elves, maybe they'll help even things out for the Horde!
Personally, I'm going to be too busy on the Vanilla Remix servers to switch a main.

I have a blood elf paladin (who was my main from BC through half of Wrath) and my night elf demon hunter (thus far, the ONLY night elf I've been able to stand).

Of course I'm going to make alts for leveling to get those sets, but I just have so much more I want to do that making a totally new race my main isn't tops on that list.

Heck, I'm still undecided on class and race for the old school servers.
12/13/2017 10:12 AMPosted by Rouille
I'm sure some people will shift due to aesthetics

Me.

Only I can't decide if I want to be a goth-jock (a gock AKA a joth) with a pompadour or Anime Dracula.
I won't be, but I'm looking forward to RPing with the new elf races. Especially void elves, there are just so many good concepts with them. Not to mention they are literal defectors of the Horde! Blood elves have got to be peeved at their betrayal.
12/13/2017 09:54 AMPosted by Lianshí
Elves. People like them, some dont.
Man this would be awesome. But it's more like some people like them, some people have violently angry obsessive hatred towards them.

Like, zero moderation. It's "I like/don't mind elves." Or "If you play an elf, you are a garbage person and I'm going to find you and punch you."
12/13/2017 11:07 AMPosted by Zenrao
12/13/2017 09:54 AMPosted by Lianshí
Elves. People like them, some dont.
Man this would be awesome. But it's more like some people like them, some people have violently angry obsessive hatred towards them.

Like, zero moderation. It's "I like/don't mind elves." Or "If you play an elf, you are a garbage person and I'm going to find you and punch you."

are you making a !@#$ing elf or not?
I'll never tell.
12/13/2017 11:09 AMPosted by Karmas
12/13/2017 11:07 AMPosted by Zenrao
...Man this would be awesome. But it's more like some people like them, some people have violently angry obsessive hatred towards them.

are you making a !@#$ing elf or not?

@Zenrao if you don't play an elf, you are a garbage person and I'm going to find you and punch you.
I am a garbage person, but playing or not playing an elf has nothing to do with it :D