Night elf Paladin.

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 12 Next
Go watch the stream with Ion ant Jesse Cox at Blizzcon, it wont happen and it makes no sense. You might as well let Undead be Paladins too then right? NE's also get their healing abilities and attunement with the light through Elune, so..
It only really works race wide if either the Night Elf version of An'she is established or if Tyrande is somehow convinced to allow Night Elves to leave the Light of Elune for the Holy Light(two different sources and types of lights).

I doubt Tyrande would be willing to allow her people to abandon her religion, the zealot that she is..

Not that I wouldn't mind seeing them.. but there needs to be some form of justification for them existing that doesn't come down to hamfisting Elune as a part of the Holy Light when her light has always been different. Especially since the Tauren, the only other race who really follows Elune (as Mu'sha) had to turn away from her teachings to An'she to be able to manifest the type of light that allowed them to manifest Paladin powers.

Also.. before you bring up Delas Moonfang, remember that she was working closely with Aponi Brightmane and was imprisoned with her for some period of time.. and, being a Priestess of Elune and a Sunwalker, they likely talked of Elune/Mu'sha and An'she. It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out that Aponi was able to make sense of An'she to Delas. Ultimately, I just want there to be more interesting story development instead of simplification to make everything come down to basic sources.
Yes, night elf paladins need to come back. Bring back the WC3 Priestess of the Moon instead of this cloth wearing, staff wielding, stand in the back and heal version we got in WoW. I want my nightsaber riding armored fierce fighter of Elune.
Let's make sure we can have Zandalari Paladins first.
If we can then sure Nelfs can have their cute little Pallies
Read the books and you will find out why Night Elves can NEVER be paladins.
12/19/2017 07:53 PMPosted by Beefpatty

Which books? The War of the Ancients trilogy, where all the night elf priestess wore plate armor, carried swords and shields, and fought on the front line beside their warriors?
Not again with this...go back to complaining about void elves and nightborne and all that. This subject's already over and done with.

Night elves already have paladins. They're called priestesses of Elune. Delas Moonfang is an abomination. Nerus Moonfang is even more of an abomination. Both should have been assassinated.
12/19/2017 05:19 PMPosted by Sedenas
If they disregard lore and remove all race/class restrictions to every class then it's possible

Why would lore need to be disregarded? Please do tell.

12/19/2017 06:26 PMPosted by Vindurza
it does not fit their lore at all

In what way? Is a paladin not simply a martial priests who is imbued with the light? Night elf priest/ess already don't worship the light. They gain their powers from elune. Being imbued with the light of elune seems perfectly realistic and within their lore. Especially as their military and church are intertwined like vines.

12/19/2017 06:28 PMPosted by Weathervane
I'm cool with this. That nelf pally is decent.

HOWEVER Horde should get a new pally too. For reasons. I elect Zandalari. >.>

They did show up in patch 5.2 so yes, would love to see this.

12/19/2017 06:45 PMPosted by Profien
Go watch the stream with Ion ant Jesse Cox at Blizzcon, it wont happen and it makes no sense. You might as well let Undead be Paladins too then right? NE's also get their healing abilities and attunement with the light through Elune, so..

And no one has explained why they cannot be imbued with the light of elune? In function they would be paladins. But lore would be more like "Knight of Elune". Just like how humans were priests and some decided to go through a special ritual (Uther was the first iirc) to be physically imbued in the light. I don't see how night elves cannot do the same but with a focus on Elune's light instead of the humans abstract concept of the light. In fact there is even MORE presedent. There is a lot of power in evoking a god. Just look at D&D. They'd be the only ones actually evoking a god. As a paladin should.

12/19/2017 07:14 PMPosted by Rea
It only really works race wide if either the Night Elf version of An'she is established or if Tyrande is somehow convinced to allow Night Elves to leave the Light of Elune for the Holy Light(two different sources and types of lights).

Not really? Night elf priests in game seem to use the same light as human priests. But in lore they're evoking the power from elune. There is no confirmation that elune's light is different then "the" light. In fact several in lore theories contradict this. Vellen seems to think that Elune might be a Naaru (Those windchimes made out of light), or related to them somehow. It was also a theory proposed by Khadgar himself. That she is somehow related to the Naaru.

Heck even in they are difference. It looking the same in game would just be gameplay mechanic. Lore wise they'd only use elune's light. just how night elf priests function in game versus lore. Night elf priests don't follow the humans religion of the holy light despite using holy magic. They follow and draw their power from elune herself.

In game tauren paladins are basically solar druid warriors. This would be priestess of elune being imbued with the light of elune and fighting with martial weaponry to become a "knight of elune" or paladin of elune.

Not a single night elf would have to give up their faith, or join the human faith. They'd just be taking a different path within the priesthood of elune. A more righteous, and physical path.

You want to just explain it here buddy? It's not my job to do research. You made a statement. The burden of proof is on you. An idea proposed with no evidence can be rejected with no evidence. Come back explaining that yourself or you're arguement will be discredited.

There's absolutely nothing in the books that says Night Elves can't be Paladins.

Heck people were saying Taurens could not be Paladins yet here they are.
12/19/2017 06:45 PMPosted by Profien
Go watch the stream with Ion ant Jesse Cox at Blizzcon
Best interview ever.
12/19/2017 07:14 PMPosted by Rea

Not really? Night elf priests in game seem to use the same light as human priests. But in lore they're evoking the power from elune. There is no confirmation that elune's light is different then "the" light. In fact several in lore theories contradict this. Vellen seems to think that Elune might be a Naaru (Those windchimes made out of light), or related to them somehow. It was also a theory proposed by Khadgar himself. That she is somehow related to the Naaru.

Heck even in they are difference. It looking the same in game would just be gameplay mechanic. Lore wise they'd only use elune's light. just how night elf priests function in game versus lore. Night elf priests don't follow the humans religion of the holy light despite using holy magic. They follow and draw their power from elune herself.

In game tauren paladins are basically solar druid warriors. This would be priestess of elune being imbued with the light of elune and fighting with martial weaponry to become a "knight of elune" or paladin of elune.

Not a single night elf would have to give up their faith, or join the human faith. They'd just be taking a different path within the priesthood of elune. A more righteous, and physical path.

I hope that you do realize that the reason why NE Holy Priests use the Holy Light art is the same reason why Forsaken Holy priest use it as well, instead of using a shadow based form of it...

It is to simplify art design and to ensure that the class/spec combinations are consistent and recognizable across the board. The Light of Elune has always been a much more subtle form of Light that should look, in appearance, like the Moon phase spells of Druids instead of the Holy Light.

As for Priestesses of Elune using martial weapons and armor.. those already exist in NE society and they are called Sentinels. Sentinels are, lore wise, the militarized Priestesses of Elune and they have their own abilities and fighting style that is distinct from Paladins.

The main difference here being that Paladins are a very specialized sect of fighters who utilize the Holy Light, represented by An'she in Tauren society and currently unrepresented in NE society and religion, in order to manifest their abilities.

There have never been any ambiguities in the lore about the source of Paladin power being rooted purely in the Holy Light.
I didn't realize so many people hated Delas.

That kind bums me out. I thought that anoiting her as a Paladin was the coolest part of the Paladin quest line. I loved that.
12/19/2017 09:48 PMPosted by Aerynà
I didn't realize so many people hated Delas.

That kind bums me out. I thought that anoiting her as a Paladin was the coolest part of the Paladin quest line. I loved that.

The problem with Delas is she's basically a Priestess of Elune with the mindset of a 16 year old, who completely abandons her post within the priest order hall, chooses another order, and makes BS excuses.

She claims she doesn't feel militant enough. Yet, in the books and in their lore, we know for a fact she's been combat trained in heavy armor, as well as a multitude of weapons, and as a priestess of Elune, she's the highest military order in Kaldorei culture.

She completely abandons her post. Never once does she even say a word to the priest order hall again. It's as if her occupation and way of life this entire time has meant absolutely nothing.

And she says she's never felt more at home in the paladin order hall. What? A human building, surrounded by every other race, other than your own, with a completely different deity and focus as the whole main point to your new occupation. And you feel at home?

She's a completely shoehorned character, made for absolutely nothing other than fan service.
12/19/2017 06:27 PMPosted by Ehrin

Say that to Delas Moonfang and Nerus Moonfang... they are both as of Legion, Night Elf Paladins...
really? I never encountered them that is interesting I'm familiar with old lore where something like that was taboo as hell but will admit not all caught up with legions new lore so that one is surprising.

12/19/2017 07:49 PMPosted by Orhato
Let's make sure we can have Zandalari Paladins first.
If we can then sure Nelfs can have their cute little Pallies
this so much this give me playable prelates blizzard plz I'll sell my soul to gul'dan err is it illadin in charge of the legion now for a chance to play a zandalari pali

12/19/2017 08:30 PMPosted by Dreadmoon

There's absolutely nothing in the books that says Night Elves can't be Paladins.

Heck people were saying Taurens could not be Paladins yet here they are.
well technically lore wise a tauren is not a paldin its a sunwalker but game mechanics wise it is the same as a paladin, like the mentioned zandalari prelates.
12/19/2017 06:27 PMPosted by Ehrin

Say that to Delas Moonfang and Nerus Moonfang... they are both as of Legion, Night Elf Paladins...

Delas is the loosest definition of a paladin, and for her they went with the "priest with plate" theme. Nerus isn't even a paladin, he is a ghost with a sword and shield, but is classed as ret. Even then, 2 people are not enough , though in saying that, Alleria was enough for void elves so its not like blizzard wouldn't pull it out of thin air
12/20/2017 03:19 AMPosted by Kebabstrike
Delas is the loosest definition of a paladin, and for her they went with the "priest with plate" theme. Nerus isn't even a paladin, he is a ghost with a sword and shield, but is classed as ret. Even then, 2 people are not enough , though in saying that, Alleria was enough for void elves so its not like blizzard wouldn't pull it out of thin air
There is no actual lore reason why Night Elves cannot be paladins. Forsaken? Yes, absolutely, those can never be paladins at all. But Night Elves? In many regards they already have their own version.

Stop being stubborn.
12/20/2017 03:45 AMPosted by Defiasbandit
There is no actual lore reason why Night Elves cannot be paladins. Forsaken? Yes, absolutely, those can never be paladins at all. But Night Elves? In many regards they already have their own version.

Stop being stubborn.

This is a really silly argument when you consider the fact Delas Moonfang was brought in, and then her undead uncle was also brought in. Delas is an abomination. And a schmuck. So is her uncle.
12/20/2017 06:03 AMPosted by Shadina
12/20/2017 03:45 AMPosted by Defiasbandit

Stop being stubborn.

This is a really silly argument when you consider the fact Delas Moonfang was brought in, and then her undead uncle was also brought in. Delas is an abomination. And a schmuck. So is her uncle.
The ghost is dumb, yeah. But Night Elf paladins? Naw. Tauren paladins make even less sense.
12/20/2017 06:11 AMPosted by Defiasbandit
The ghost is dumb, yeah. But Night Elf paladins? Naw. Tauren paladins make even less sense.

It's all dumb. See my post above. Delas Moonfang was the absolute worst candidate for a night elf paladin with how they wrote her and her decisions. Had they written her like an actual adult who did something proper, didn't go AWOL, make BS excuses and act like a 16 year old, I might be more forgiving.