Why did we fight Illidan?

Story Forum
So why was he the endboss in the Burning Crusade? I didn't start playing until late Wrath so I just want to know.
Because his servants were attacking all over Outland, and he stubbornly never tried to rein them in or explain his actions to anyone other than his Illidari followers.
Because they didn't really have a coherent storyline at the time.

He was a flashy loot pinata so they made Illidan/Vashj/Kael into one-dimensional villains with designated insanity. Only in Legion did they retcon it to make more sense but it's still messy. It was a sort of a "it doesn't make sense the way we did this, but the more we attempt to retcon it to fix it, the worse it will look on us" so they tried to balance it as best they could.

TBC Illidan Logic: I just ticked off Kil'Jaeden again. First I steal Outland from him and kill all his demonic minions there, then I fail to destroy the Lich King which was supposed to pacify him so I could bide my time. Hmm, what should I do?

Oh I know! There is this civilization on Outland that hates the Burning Legion just as much as I do. Maybe I could work with them to fight against the Burning Legion since they are our mutual enemy.

No wait that idea sounds stupid. Let's ATTACK THEM!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ63VnQei-k

/logic
12/23/2017 07:56 AMPosted by Corek
So why was he the endboss in the Burning Crusade?

Also, Kil'jaeden ended up being the end boss of the expansion.
Two main reasons.

1) He didn't tell us what he was planning because he never tells anyone those things, it's kind of a major character flaw.
2) He was doing things like enslaving Broken and draining Zangarmarsh.
Illidan usually goes to extremes when he has a goal in mind. He will do whatever it takes to see his planned fulfilled. He doesn’t care if someone or something gets hurt along the way. He feels like it’s for the greater good. Like when he was causing those earthquakes when he was using the Eye of Sargaras to try and defeat the Lich King.

During the BC, Illidan left his forces go unchecked and allowed them to run rampant. The naga were draining ZM, Kael was working with the Burning Legion, and he enslaved the Draenei.
Because BC followeds its predecessor of WoW vanilla in not having an overarching narrative. Blizzard needed endgame raiding bosses akin to Onyxia, Ragnaros, Nefarian, C'thun, and Kel'thuzad like in Vanilla and since we were in Outland they already had big name characters to throw in.

WotLK was the first xpac of WoW to actually have an overarching narrative.
He was an !@# who enslaved people and is a danger to everyone around him. Hell, I think we should kill him again.
12/23/2017 08:49 AMPosted by Reignac
2) He was doing things like enslaving Broken and draining Zangarmarsh.
Which is funny because later on when we visit the non-exploded Draenor in WoD, the Zangar Sea is in the early stages of creeping up every shoreline that's not frozen solid. Zangar is a plague of toxic mushrooms that either poisons or mutates any other life it encroaches on. Should stories ever be told again in that Draenor, adventurers are probably gonna have to deal with it at some point.

Even if just a byproduct of their plan to collect water to create a new Well of Eternity in Outland by using Illidan's spare vials from the original, the Naga draining Zangar to contain it was overall a good thing for our timeline's Outland.
Because he had some purples, and even 2 oranges.

That's all the motivation we need.

Murder-hobos, roll out!
So why was he the endboss in the Burning Crusade? I didn't start playing until late Wrath so I just want to know.
They had to find a way to make Blood Elves "the Pretty Race" fit into the Horde so they got Kael who was allied with Illidan into some evil bad guys for no reason and now the story fits that they can join the Horde. So ya Illidan was made evil so in the story blood elves could join the Horde.
I'd just like to point out the WoD proves the Naga were fixing Zangarmarsh back into a large body of water that doesn't flow off the side of the world while the Cenarians made us the bad guys since they couldn't accept a world as shattered as Outland needed nonnatural intervention to restore things.

As for thread its self more less justifiying not having a 3rd faction by making the Illidari and their leaders go insane.
12/23/2017 04:32 PMPosted by Desanvos
I'd just like to point out the WoD proves the Naga were fixing Zangarmarsh back into a large body of water that doesn't flow off the side of the world while the Cenarians made us the bad guys since they couldn't accept a world as shattered as Outland needed nonnatural intervention to restore things.

...They were draining it, not putting more water in.
Draining the marsh to collect it back into one body of water and the pumps if you look at the map they are largely positioned where they would be to prevent the water from spilling off Outland and then the south eastern one to prevent the returned lake from flooding into Shatterath.

I think it was kinda implied that most characters in-game thought Illidan was working with the Legion, which to be fair isn't a bad assumption with how Kael'thas turned out and Illidan's personal history.
12/23/2017 11:46 AMPosted by Reeven
Even if just a byproduct of their plan to collect water to create a new Well of Eternity in Outland by using Illidan's spare vials from the original, the Naga draining Zangar to contain it was overall a good thing for our timeline's Outland.

The Naga unfortunately decided to enslave the Broken in the general area and Illidan did nothing about it just as he did nothing about their enslaving Murlocs in WC3:TFT.

He also held Akama and his men's freedom hostage when he turned traitor.

Illidan was basically attacked because he worked willingly with slave drivers(Arzeth, Vashj, Gruul and Zuluhed) since WC3:TFT.
12/23/2017 05:34 PMPosted by Murphio
I think it was kinda implied that most characters in-game thought Illidan was working with the Legion, which to be fair isn't a bad assumption with how Kael'thas turned out and Illidan's personal history.
Plus the fact that a large portion of the Illidari are demons that either defected from the Legion or were coerced into service. Or guys like Teron Gorefiend. That's not exactly a face that screams "we're the good guys".
DUDE, WHAT IF LIKE, WE FOUGHT ILLIDANK??!

DUDE THAT WOULD BE SICK

*Kills Illidan*

DUDE, WHAT IF LIKE, IT TURNED OUT ILLIDAN WAS ACTUALLY THE SAVIOR OF AZEROTH THE ENTIRE TIME?!

BUT DUDE, WE ALREADY KILLED HIM

DUDE, HE COULD, LIKE, COME BACK!

that is why
12/23/2017 05:55 PMPosted by Reeven
12/23/2017 05:34 PMPosted by Murphio
Plus the fact that a large portion of the Illidari are demons that either defected from the Legion or were coerced into service. Or guys like Teron Gorefiend. That's not exactly a face that screams "we're the good guys".

teron who is still alive even if his new body is gone, so expect bolvar asking us to fetch his spirit so he can make a new Unholy lich from it in BFA
Because he had the Warglaives of Azzinoth, and the one-hundred trillion rogues coming out of vanilla would except no other outcome.

Though, as I recall my impression at the time, it was because he had gone completely mad, and was behaving like a corrupt emperor lording over his rapidly disintegrating empire, underlings betraying him, and the legion exploiting the situation. Too mad to lead, too insanely dangerous to leave alone.