Hard freezing when loading wow

Games, Gaming and Hardware
01/03/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Shottielol
What resolution are you running? You should not tank in fps with a 8700k and 1060.

I bet you could put the settings on 10 and environment detail (read the tooltip on this) down to 7 and you would run 60 almost indefinitely.

only 1080p @ 75hz

I haven't tried doing anything group related yet. Just trying to get it stable.

I basically have it set up that way, on 10 with the sliders for view distance to 7.

it so far is at 75 locked at the vsync.
Try this:

Slider 10

View Distance 10
Environment Detail 7
Ground Clutter 10

I've found that environment detail kills performance, and all that does is renders things that are incredibly far away according to the tooltip.
That group of Nar'thalas watchers in Azsuna kills the fps though. they're the ghost guys.
01/03/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Salhezra
That group of Nar'thalas watchers in Azsuna kills the fps though. they're the ghost guys.

You have a better processor than me and are playing at a lower resolution. You should easily be able to handle the settings I suggested, unless a 1080 ti really helps that much in this game - I was under the impression that GPU's didn't matter all that much.
01/03/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Shottielol
01/03/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Salhezra

You have a better processor than me and are playing at a lower resolution. You should easily be able to handle the settings I suggested, unless a 1080 ti really helps that much in this game - I was under the impression that GPU's didn't matter all that much.

those settings were fine until that group came by. dipped into the high 30s. I was also zoomed in very close. Zoomed out when they come by and fps is unaffected.

i think its particle density? Probably a GPU thing.

Edit: Yep, dropped particle density to low and zoomed in the fps remained high.

I guess that's one area the GPU matters?
Tried overclocking yet? Judging by your temps, you have a bit of headroom.
01/03/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Shottielol
Tried overclocking yet? Judging by your temps, you have a bit of headroom.

not yet.

here's a screen of my temps under light load (wow running in the background)

https://i.imgur.com/uH8TJEr.png
the max vcore looks on the high side, is that normal?
You have lots of headroom. Your vcore doesn't look high to me at all. Like right now I'm at 1.344 vcore with LLC 6.

You can manually increase your cpu core ratio and cpu core voltage - and try to find an LLC level that helps reduce vdroop and you should be fine.

I'd start small. Try 49 multiplier at 1.345 with an LLC in the middle. See how far the voltage goes down under a stressed load and adjust LLC accordingly. Always watch temps in the process.
so update

4 hours later, no issues yet. haven't restarted yet, though. i think i'm going to
Definitely restart. Get that OC going. That's the most fun part of the entire build process imo.
I bought a bad Radeon 560, Radeon 580 then returned both. Waited a few weeks and now the current 580 works like a charm. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw man, sorry.
I used DDU to remove the AMD and generic windows display driver, then installed the AMD driver from ASUS as well as the GPU BIOS firmware update.

Seems stable now.

I guess the generic driver windows installed during setup screwed up the AMD driver install.

I think the AMD GPU has better image quality than the nVidia. Seems sharper.
Updated:

It started freezing again; I took it out and put the 1060 back in. Has been stable ever since.

I also put the 470 back into the i5-4570 system.... It was fine for a day, then it rebooted while my son was playing wow, and the was no output from the GPU and the computer defaulted back to integrated graphics.

Reseated the card, and it seems okay for now.

I think that 470 is just messed up somewhere.

I read ASUS had A3 year warranty?

Wok they just give it a brief boot up test and tell me it's fine, or will they replace if i RMA it?

I've had it barely a year.
01/12/2018 07:22 AMPosted by Salhezra
Updated:

It started freezing again; I took it out and put the 1060 back in. Has been stable ever since.

I also put the 470 back into the i5-4570 system.... It was fine for a day, then it rebooted while my son was playing wow, and the was no output from the GPU and the computer defaulted back to integrated graphics.

Wok they just give it a brief boot up test and tell me it's fine, or will they replace if i RMA it?

It's up to Asus and the specific person handling your RMA, just remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Have your son try another game with the 470 and see if you can replicate the freeze. It's obviously not a client issue since it's happened on two different PCs and there is not a host of AMD gamers complaining about the same issue. Maybe try rolling back to an older driver if the 470 doesn't freeze on other games. Does it a take a while for the freeze? Does the card heat up over time, maybe the fan stops?
01/12/2018 07:47 AMPosted by Lilybugg
01/12/2018 07:22 AMPosted by Salhezra
Updated:

It's up to Asus and the specific person handling your RMA, just remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Have your son try another game with the 470 and see if you can replicate the freeze. It's obviously not a client issue since it's happened on two different PCs and there is not a host of AMD gamers complaining about the same issue. Maybe try rolling back to an older driver if the 470 doesn't freeze on other games. Does it a take a while for the freeze? Does the card heat up over time, maybe the fan stops?

It's very intermittent. It freezes on Witcher 3 also.

It will go for days without, and then freeze twice in one hour.

It hasn't frozen on his system yet, but it did reboot that once.

Although, he doesn't play as much as i do.

It has dynamic fan so it only comes on when it gets hot
I would definitely return the card while still under warranty
Do they require proof of purchase? I lost my receipt
they may but you won't find out if you don't at least try