How do you gear for Heroic Antorus?

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
How does a normal raider at 930 ivl get geared for heroic? What's the acceptable ilvl for heroic?
What's acceptable depends on whether you're running with your guild, or with a pug.

The raid is scaled such that you can go in at 930, but you will progressively struggle harder and harder through the bosses until you slowly build up heroic gear.
IE: Standard progression. Works well in guilds.

Since most pugs in theory want to clear the place, they probably want 940-950+.
They aren't there for progression in many cases.

As to how you get that gear level.

1) If you're 930 you haven't finished farming normal, because legendaries and artifacts will push you over 930, if everything else is 930.
2) M+ is repeatable, and once you're doing +10 or above (up to 15) your weekly chest will drop 935 or higher gear. Furthermore, a +15 drops 940 gear base, at the final chest. (14s are 935 I believe)
3) Warforging/Titanforging means that even sub-heroic raid content will give you ilevel that can get you into that range.

There's always gambling on super relinquished procs or something, but that gets less and less likely, the higher ilevel you need.

My honest suggestions are do normal and LFR for hopes at titanforged gear, and then start trying to farm M+. If you can actually push up to mid-range keys, your odds of getting upgrades goes up dramatically.
Most groups (that aren't the speed clear/AOTC ONE SHOT types) will want 940-945 (maybe higher as the weeks go on) but what happens is that when you queue up at those ilvls you usually compete against 10-12 other DPSers who are 950-955. You should still be able to join some groups are 940-945 though

Ways to bump Ilvl

1. Weekly M+ cache
2. Normal clears
3. Running random M+ (ideally 10-15+)
4. Work on getting gear more oriented towards fury (CoF from Elisande is kind of a must have still and more haste would also help a lot)
5. LFR
6. Relinquished

Outside of that you might want to spam invasions for better legendaries as well - heroic groups usually scrutinize DPS a lot more than normal, especially if/when you start wiping
Wow! Thank you both for the outstanding answers.
Since both these players have covered ways to bump ilvl quite well I just have a couple things to add.

Guild choice. I see you're in one now, so obviously if they are comfortable only doing normal then you'll just have to look to pug if you don't wanna move guilds. However otherwise I would look for a guild looking to progress through heroic. You can learn the fights with them together, and most guilds have pretty fair loot distribution system (contrary to popular belief) that will gear you out quite quickly.

The other option is a website called openraid that schedules groups ahead of time through use of realid that allows you to find a group for your experience level and playstyle.

Best of luck.
I have an alt that was like 945 before ever stepping into heroic

A bit lucky, but if you can get a couple titanforge and do a weekly 15 anything is possible
I’m 946 and don’t have one piece of heroic gear nor have I killed a heroic boss yet. I have Normal 930 gear some warforged 940/945 procs in Normal and have both my legendaries at 1000 and one 955 head piece that I’ve had for like six months from somewhere. Oh yea and I’ve never stepped foot in a Mythic+ either.
ya my ilvl is like 940 and I haven't gotten into heroics yet everyone wants 950+ for pugs for some reason
04/28/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Hitchbar
ya my ilvl is like 940 and I haven't gotten into heroics yet everyone wants 950+ for pugs for some reason

Alright, two things;

1, this thread is from five months ago. Kinda should've made a new post if you wanted to add to the subject.

2, you have 6 pieces of gear that could be upgraded from normal, and you have never even cleared normal once. Maybe, just maybe, you should fully clear normal two or three times before you try jumping into heroic.
You have 1 tier piece and you're looking to get carried in heroic? It's not just about ilvl it's about itemization. You can have two people at the exact same overall item level do very different DPS because of things like legendaries, tier, and secondaries.
You're not getting into heroic Antorus at 930, even though that's the logical point at which you would start heroic Antorus... whether you're properly geared or not in terms of itemization. This game doesn't have an ELO hell but it does have an iLvl hell, and that's about where it starts. Properly gearing doesn't mean anything. Your bagged item level does, because you can't properly gear if you're not downing bosses to get gear in the first place. You'll have minimal success in your 940s joining a fresh heroic Antorus but if your group breaks apart at any point, you can either kiss your chances at running the rest of the instance that week goodbye or go back and join another fresh group, eat the loss in gear and time, and hope they get further. Once the lock resets, you pray the first group goes further than the one last week did. 945 is when you can start to hope to get invited to anything beyond the first few bosses.

Outside of that, run LFR and Normal for warforged/titanforged chances, Mythic + dungeons for largely the same, farm gold and buy some gear on the auction house, hope that this week's got a weekly quest that rewards gear, hope your order hall has an Antorus quest waiting for you and get that done, and get the weekly greater invasion done. At this point in the game you're hoping for a lot of warforges/titanforges to push you into the point at which you'll actually be considered for pug heroic Antorus. 2 legendaries at 1000 ilvl and a full suit of 930 gear and you're looking decently okay.
mascm
930 is fine for entry level Heroic Antorus.

However due to the curve that happens any time a raid is out this long, the majority of successful groups want 945 to 960+, as well as solid WCL parses (epic or legendary) parses on Heroic/Mythic.
06/15/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Smoo

However due to the curve that happens any time a raid is out this long, the majority of successful groups want 945 to 960+, as well as solid WCL parses (epic or legendary) parses on Heroic/Mythic.

That's wrong. Heroic is scaled for the raid avg being 945-950. 930 is abysmally low.
06/15/2018 02:43 PMPosted by Drezwazluz
06/15/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Smoo

That's wrong. Heroic is scaled for the raid avg being 945-950. 930 is abysmally low.

Its not wrong. Heroic definitely wasn't scaled that high. If you re-read my above post, I said most groups want the 945 to 960 ilevel bracket now as its so late into the expansion.

Your comment about H Antorus being tuned to 950 is completely uneducated. You're telling me groups in the first month of Heroic Antorus had 950 average ilevel when they got their AOTC? Get outta here man.

Please be at least remotely educated in what you're before you make comments about how things were tuned.
06/15/2018 03:53 PMPosted by Smoo

Its not wrong. Heroic definitely wasn't scaled that high. If you re-read my above post, I said most groups want the 945 to 960 ilevel bracket now as its so late into the expansion.

Your comment about H Antorus being tuned to 950 is completely uneducated. You're telling me groups in the first month of Heroic Antorus had 950 average ilevel when they got their AOTC? Get outta here man.

Please be at least remotely educated in what you're before you make comments about how things were tuned.

The heroic raider is talking about being educated on raiding. Nice one.

The people clearing in the first month (not you) were mythic raiders who were in full ToS gear, and averaged around 940, usually. By the time they cleared, they were pushing 945. They are the same people who, right now, hold the top spots on logs. Because they are better than most (like you).

Heroic and mythic have been scaled higher than in the past since ToV. Funny enough.
It's actually a symptom of time passing, you're at least right about that, albeit for the wrong reason.

People did heroic back at the start of Antorus at 940 or so ilvl. They were the top players. Back then, heroic pugs wanted 945-950 or so, usually. As time has gone on, few and fewer of those top players have done heroic each week, and more and more people who previously only did normal have worked up into heroic.

They lack the skill and ability of those first people, so they require a higher power to actually pull off the same numbers. A 99% player in 945 gear does the same as a 70% player in 960 gear. So on and so forth.
06/15/2018 04:20 PMPosted by Drezwazluz
It's actually a symptom of time passing, you're at least right about that, albeit for the wrong reason.

People did heroic back at the start of Antorus at 940 or so ilvl. They were the top players. Back then, heroic pugs wanted 945-950 or so, usually. As time has gone on, few and fewer of those top players have done heroic each week, and more and more people who previously only did normal have worked up into heroic.

They lack the skill and ability of those first people, so they require a higher power to actually pull off the same numbers. A 99% player in 945 gear does the same as a 70% player in 960 gear. So on and so forth.

Except the 99% players seldom stay in 945 gear.
06/15/2018 07:50 PMPosted by Sightblindër
06/15/2018 04:20 PMPosted by Drezwazluz

Except the 99% players seldom stay in 945 gear.

You understood my point well enough
06/15/2018 03:53 PMPosted by Smoo

I just looked at my logs, and my first clear was Dec. 6th at 944, second was Dec. 13th at 951.