Assassination and Balance Rotation Adjustments on Tuesday

Legion Class Development
1 2 3 11 Next
In recent weeks, we’ve seen the rise of a pair of unusual builds for Assassination Rogues and Balance Druids, both of which end up abandoning core abilities like Solar Wrath, Lunar Strike, and Mutilate in favor of Moonfire and Fan of Knives spam. While player ingenuity often devises interesting and unexpected ways of optimizing performance, in this case the resulting gameplay became one-dimensional, and we’ve heard feedback to that effect.

As a result, with the upcoming weekly resets in each region, starting on Tuesday, January 9, we’ll be making some targeted changes to reinforce the core rotational abilities of these two specializations, with only a minimal effect on overall balance:

Druid
  • Balance
    • Wax and Wane (Artifact trait) damage bonus per stack reduced to 6% (was 25%).
    • Lunar Strike damage increased by 8%.
    • Solar Wrath damage increased by 8%.

Rogue
  • Assassination
    • Mutilate damage increased by 20%.
    • Balanced Blades (Artifact trait) bonus increased to 4% per point (was 2% per point).
    • Poison Knives (Artifact trait) reduced to 3% per point (was 4% per point).
    • Deadly Poison triggered instant damage increased by 15%.

Thank you very much for all of your feedback. I can't overstate how much we appreciate the valuable class discussion taking place here and elsewhere.
PLEASE BUFF Outlaw mastery damage I beg you!
Well clearly those are the 2 worst specs most in need of buffs right now.

(Good for me, my assassination rogue hit 110 earlier this week!)
Oh neat, glad to see Wax and Wane is now garbage again. Back to being a 0.01% DPS increase trait. Also glad to know I can't duel and have a chance of winning again.

Let's also not forget that now every Balance Druid raiding at a decent level now also needs new relics because they were using Moonfire trait ones, and any that weren't but rolled the trait in NLC are also ruined because we CAN'T CHANGE THEM.
01/05/2018 02:55 PMPosted by Kaivax
Starting on Tuesday, January 9, with weekly maintenance in each region, we expect to make the following class changes:

Druid
  • Balance
    • Wax and Wane (Artifact trait) damage bonus per stack reduced to 6% (was 25%).
    • Lunar Strike damage increased by 8%.
    • Solar Wrath damage increased by 8%.

Rogue
  • Assassination
    • Mutilate damage increased by 20%.
    • Balanced Blades (Artifact trait) bonus increased to 4% per point (was 2% per point).
    • Poison Knives (Artifact trait) reduced to 3% per point (was 4% per point).
    • Deadly Poison triggered instant damage increased by 15%.

Thank you very much for all of your feedback. I can't overstate how much we appreciate the valuable class discussion taking place here and elsewhere.

Interesting how you don't address any actual concerns outside of Rogues using FoK over Mutilate...where are the buffs for BM or Outlaw? the nerfs for Aff or WW? Do the devs actually think the game has really good balance right now? cause you nerfed a spec that probably didn't need it and buffed 1 underpreforming spec out of 7.
01/05/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Dzdz
01/05/2018 03:04 PMPosted by Zyký

Interesting how you don't address any actual concerns outside of Rogues using FoK over Mutilate...where are the buffs for BM or Outlaw? the nerfs for Aff or WW? Do the devs actually think the game has really good balance right now? cause you nerfed a spec that probably didn't need it and buffed 1 underpreforming spec out of 7.

tbqh I think WW can be left at the top for a bit. this is the first time like.. ever that's been a thing.

Affliction's artifact and UA damage should get gutted though

WW certainly needs a slight nerf, it doesn't need to be drastic to throw them back down to the bottom, but they shouldn't be so drastically ahead, but then again they never touched warriors the last 2 tiers.
Could we see some changes to make tier 21 usable.
The wax and wane nerf feels like a Band-Aid fix for the incompetent 4 set that was made for Balance Druid this tier.
There's bigger imbalances in classes/specs than Balance druids spamming moonfire.

Great job.
Drag me, but I'm kinda happy for WW monks? They've been thru a lot in this game. Not even my main either, but they are being rewarded for mastering a spec with a pretty high skill cap compared to the premiere FOTM spec Affliction. If they do receive nerfs, which is reasonable tbh, hope they don't get gutted like we saw in Highmaul.
Hunters?
01/05/2018 03:19 PMPosted by Audríel
Drag me, but I'm kinda happy for WW monks? They've been thru a lot in this game. Not even my main either, but they are being rewarded for mastering a spec with a pretty high skill cap compared to the premiere FOTM spec Affliction. If they do receive nerfs, which is reasonable tbh, hope they don't get gutted like we saw in Highmaul.

Basically my thoughts. every time WW gets either to the top or near the top they get gutted. While there's 40,000 Affliction logs on WCL, there's only 9,000 WW monk logs. This probably means that most of the WW monks right now are the same ones that were playing it when it was bad - so they're probably bringing up the average just on talent. Aff, on the other hand, has been skyrocketing in FOTMers over the last three raids that, if anything, bring down the average. Their average compared to their max (what most people do compared to what the top players do) is usually a pretty massive disparity, but both are higher numbers than most every other spec.
01/05/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Dzdz
01/05/2018 03:04 PMPosted by Zyký

tbqh I think WW can be left at the top for a bit. this is the first time like.. ever that's been a thing.

People like you shouldn't be allowed on the forums.

Asking for nerfs for your own class is pathetic and childish.

You don't deserve to be a part of the Warlock community with such a poor attitude.

Do you really think they'll buff destro if aff is nerfed?

Keep dreaming.

Destro has been a dead spec since they turned half of the baseline spells into talents and ruined them.

Let go of destro and already and stop your useless complaining/spamming.

We have 1 viable spec out of 3.

0/3 of our specs are enjoyable either.
I understand the approach to the W&W nerf, but it's taking the football and running backwards to avoid a tackle. It's in no way productive, and jesus it's a lot.

Instead of running headlong into using the nerf shotgun, why not have some foresight to how lackluster our tier set is instead? When you center a 4pc around dots that do nothing outside of aoe specialty (i.e. enough to drop a star fall) how could you not see that coming?

I'm glad to see us get away from the moonfire spamming but the constant state of flux is no way to handle a class with such a profoundly different rotation from ST to AOE.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

People like you shouldn't be allowed on the forums.

Asking for nerfs for your own class is pathetic and childish.

You don't deserve to be a part of the Warlock community with such a poor attitude.

Do you really think they'll buff destro if aff is nerfed?

Keep dreaming.

Destro has been a dead spec since they turned half of the baseline spells into talents and ruined them.

Let go of destro and already and stop your useless complaining/spamming.

We have 1 viable spec out of 3.

0/3 of our specs are enjoyable either.

You know Destruction is doing fine, right? I don't think Destruction needs buffs per-se, I think it needs QoL changes to be able to excel in more encounter types. If Shadowburn was fixed and Havoc wasn't so bad, it'd be almost as good as it could be without going into any major changes.

The only reason it doesn't look fine is because Affliction exists the way it is. And you're a prime example of the result - you won't even look at Destruction realistically because Affliction is too strong the way it is.

Me playing Warlock (and having done so while being an active member of the Warlock community for a long, long time) does not rid me of my objectivity. Sorry you can't see past your own spec, but lmfao if you think playing Warlock means we're all on one big team and we should be happy about crap balance. If Destro were in Affliction's spot, I would be saying the same about it.
01/05/2018 03:20 PMPosted by Jackson
Hunters?

Good joke.