when??

Classic Discussion
why even tell us about classic if it is barely on the drawing board,this is some kind of sick torture.No timelines or anything?not even a ballpark guesstimate?Hey people we are going to make classic some day , like wtf.
I would guess six months to a year? Blizzard is about quality over speed. They tell you, because people want to know. People whine all the time for more info, then they give it, and we get people who whine they got info. =)
At this point I'm a little impatient as well, can't wait to roll on a classic server. Already have my characters and and professions planned out. The sooner the better!!
LOL, are you new to the gaming world? Companies announce titles way in advance all the time.

Heck, vanilla WOW was announced in September 2001 and only in April 2004 was it available as a pre-release Beta, and the release was November 2004. THREE long years of waiting for some people.

Blizzard leans toward more efficient these days, with most things that are announced officially being released within two years. (Example: Overwatch formally announced Nov 2014 and released May 2016.)
12/23/2017 02:20 PMPosted by Eilethalua
LOL, are you new to the gaming world? Companies announce titles way in advance all the time.

Heck, vanilla WOW was announced in September 2001 and only in April 2004 was it available as a pre-release Beta, and the release was November 2004. THREE long years of waiting for some people.

Blizzard leans toward more efficient these days, with most things that are announced officially being released within two years. (Example: Overwatch formally announced Nov 2014 and released May 2016.)
this is not a new game being built,they should have some sort of a timeline.
12/23/2017 02:27 PMPosted by Kamerion

Surprisingly, there are a lot of new things they have to do.

Just off the top of my head:

1. Plan and code QoL features, patches, etc.
2. Code optimizations for new computers and operating systems. Windows 10 wasn't around ten years ago.
3. Implement new security features and bot protections.
4. Test, test, test, TEST
My guess is 6 months+ since they have an old build up and running for reference. They’ll need time to update source and dependencies, model around 64 bit architecture, update DBs and tables, integrate with blizz client, revamp the old UI and graphics to scale with new systems, all that good stuff.

While that’s a lot of work, it’s not 2 years worth. A fresh product would be 2-3 years, but with a working older build, the amount of information available, the fact that they are rebuilding something that’s been done, I could finish the product in 6 months in my garage with 2-3 buddies and a fridge full of beer...
12/23/2017 02:30 PMPosted by Lokubi

Surprisingly, there are a lot of new things they have to do.

Just off the top of my head:

1. Plan and code QoL features, patches, etc.
2. Code optimizations for new computers and operating systems. Windows 10 wasn't around ten years ago.
3. Implement new security features and bot protections.
4. Test, test, test, TEST

Good attempt there, sneaking in QOL features. Fortunately those won’t be there to slow the development process..
12/23/2017 02:33 PMPosted by Nefarious

Good attempt there, sneaking in QOL features. Fortunately those won’t be there to slow the development process..

Wasn't trying to sneak in anything. Things like "Color blind mode" are the QoL I'm intending. Whether you like it or not, Blizzard will be adding some features like these that weren't in Vanilla.
Colorblind mode isn’t QOL. It’s an accessibility feature for disabled persons. QOL is like LFG/LFR, Account wide collections, modern quest tracker/helper features. I doubt anyone will complain about accessibility features for the visually/hearing impaired being added.

And both were totally new products requiring copious development investments. Classic is not exactly a new product,so it's a safe bet that the development time is less than the new IP would take.

Oh god, this reminds me of the time I spent hyped up for SW:TOR. I spent an awful lot of time on their forums too...
>.>
<.<

Still have some images I posted there. Don't expect a sequel.
https://imgur.com/hCkdYpE
https://imgur.com/5UFro8r
Man I am so hiped. I played legion and I am sad again WTF.
I feel they announced it because Blizzcon 2018 would be too late, and they may want to have it out by then anyway. They know that players have waited a long time to hear from Blizzard about this.
12/23/2017 01:55 PMPosted by Kamerion
why even tell us about classic if it is barely on the drawing board,this is some kind of sick torture.No timelines or anything?not even a ballpark guesstimate?Hey people we are going to make classic some day , like wtf.

Agree OP. Prob the reason they’re letting private servers with over a certain amount of players stay active, keep the hype up.
obligatory "soon"?

Time lines aren't public.

Especially the gaming community. Have you seen the reaction people have had when developers don't deliver on goals?

Blizzard knows that once they state something the players will consider it a promise.

No they aren't giving you a time line and they aren't giving you a date until they have a date.
Yea the hype train is real. I can honestly say I have probably never been so hyped as I am now....since its original release. Its not as bad now as it was then, but nonetheless I am desperate for it to hurry up and release.
12/23/2017 01:55 PMPosted by Kamerion

They cant give an answer to something they don't know.
As it stands you yes they are doing it, do they have any idea whats involved, no yet

Imagine if Activision decided to terminate Vanilla and chosen another project for Blizzard to work on. :)