hype train january

Classic Discussion
we are headed for a new year and we are due for an update about classic in january! it is also my birthday on the 13 of january

so it is my hope we get the foundation on this project nailed down! and the new golden age on mmos can begin Deus Vult
I think there will 100% be an update sometime in January. Maybe something to finally shut up the dreamers and give hope to the purists. Hopefully a hint on the release date, even if they say it'll be 1-2 years.
12/28/2017 10:37 AMPosted by Drewlol
I think there will 100% be an update sometime in January

I'll give it 20%. How often Blizz update players usually?

But yea, let's hope...
12/28/2017 10:19 AMPosted by Aevelamue
we are headed for a new year and we are due for an update about classic in january! it is also my birthday on the 13 of january

so it is my hope we get the foundation on this project nailed down! and the new golden age on mmos can begin Deus Vult

Aw, there's still some optimism left in this one! It's adorable!

It would be nice to get more info. But Blizzard is gonna give us info on their schedule.

Telling us it's coming and giving us a little pen (Classic Forums) to corral us in is probably all the updates we'll see for a bit.
Update from blizzard will be a wall of text ending with it will be coming soon .

They can take all the time they want to actually make it right , 1 wrong decision could lead to failure for classic ...
Personally I agree with you and think an update on vanilla servers would be awesome. I would rather skip the vitriol and levity. Hype is what keeps me here though.
12/28/2017 10:43 AMPosted by Vafarre

Aw, there's still some optimism left in this one! It's adorable!

It would be nice to get more info. But Blizzard is gonna give us info on their schedule.

Telling us it's coming and giving us a little pen (Classic Forums) to corral us in is probably all the updates we'll see for a bit.

oh ye of little faith
They better.

Hype is getting weaker.
12/28/2017 10:37 AMPosted by Drewlol
I think there will 100% be an update sometime in January. Maybe something to finally shut up the dreamers and give hope to the purists. Hopefully a hint on the release date, even if they say it'll be 1-2 years.

Repeal Vanill-DACA! Deport the legion players!
Considering Blizz stated they wouldn't be doing classic servers i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that we will get a update about it in the future.
12/28/2017 10:47 AMPosted by Bloodlyr
Update from blizzard will be a wall of text ending with it will be coming soon .

They can take all the time they want to actually make it right , 1 wrong decision could lead to failure for classic ...

The thing is that I knew they where going to launch vanilla. You have to be stupid to see that there isn't a HUGE community that wants vanilla, and even TBC and such.

Legion flopped hard and BFA was in production. They money runs low. I assume they have a skeleton crew of elite nerds working on this. They keep the legion devs away from it hopefully.
due for an update

Um, no. You can only be due for something if a defined schedule has been provided. You can WANT an update. (Honestly, I think most of us want an update. We're with you there.) You just can't decide what Blizzard's timeline has to be.

In fact, think back to when the first news came that Blizzard and Nostalrius folk were talking. HYPE. Special thread on the General Discussion forum. MONTHS of dead silence. In fact, last year there were people expecting to hear an update at BlizzCon 2016 and Ornyx posted that it wouldn't be until after that.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20749678358#post-1

So, deep breaths and LOTS of patience. Good practice for WOW: Classic, right?
Blizzard is hiring server engineers for classic, which usually means, as far as we know, they haven't even started the rewriting of the code (that they did not get from Nostalrius).

You won't see an announcement anytime soon.
12/28/2017 12:14 PMPosted by Neryssa
Blizzard is hiring server engineers for classic, which usually means, as far as we know, they haven't even started the rewriting of the code (that they did not get from Nostalrius).

we can have announcements about the progress you know........no one is expecting to get the game any time soon
23rd November 2018.
12/28/2017 12:18 PMPosted by Aevelamue

we can have announcements about the progress you know........no one is expecting to get the game any time soon

How can they give you any progress when they haven't even hired the people responsible for it yet?
12/28/2017 12:22 PMPosted by Neryssa
12/28/2017 12:18 PMPosted by Aevelamue

How can they give you any progress when they haven't even hired the people responsible for it yet?

you don't know what they have done........
My guess is that Blizzard already has the vast majority of the team together (and has for some time) and a plan in place for how to move the product to production and accompanying timelines/milestones. All business cases would require that before receiving executive approval to move forward. Filling in a few gaps here and there with hiring (where folks have seen a couple of postings up on blizzard job boards) has, by now, largely been completed. They will leverage as much as they can from the work that the Nost team has completed, on-boarding some of their people as external contractors/consultants, and will have filled most of the other roles for the project internally. Blizzard has roughly 4,700 employees... so plenty of flexibility to reallocate existing resources to this project as opposed to incurring needless longterm opex by hiring a large number of permanent new employees that will not be familiar with Blizz methodology & practices for one relatively small project, by Blizz standards.

They would have done all of this well before they announced the project publicly. No large organization publicly announces anything until proof of concept is complete, the business case is approved, and movement to production is well underway.

My guess is that we will see some news about the release date sometime in April. They won't pin down a date, but will announce the target quarter. My guess is Q3 - 2018. Probably launch for July to maximize fiscal benefit for their Q3 quarterly earnings, but would give them wiggle room to extend a couple of months if roadblocks arise that delay things without making them liars in the eyes of you fine people.

My two cents.

They've already made some progress considering they said they have a working build of Vanilla going.
We likely won't see any announcements until some event comes up that is relevant to Blizzard. Next one coming up I believe is PAX East on April 5th. Even then it is possible that nothing will be said. But I doubt they will keep completely silent during 2018 and should most likely at least have a Q&A even months before Blizzcon will role around.