A list of Ideas to Improve PvP

Arenas
Part 1 - Arena

Seasonal PvP titles implemented, while old titles become permanent: Fierce Challenger, Fierce Rival, Fierce Duelist, Fierce Gladiator are now seasonal, while challenger, rival, duelist, and gladiator permanently unlock (or at least last the length of the expansion). Rank 1 Fierce Gladiator would be the only one to retain the season title permanently, and would get a rare mob icon around their character frame, and maybe a different unique title during the season.

You can only consume one spot on the PvP ladder per account: The top .5% of PvPers means there are limited spots for gladiators. Alts should not be able to eat up those spots and artificially inflate the ladder. This being implemented would likely stop glad carries as well, depending on how it worked.

Gladiator mounts and titles are now account bound: You put in the work, you should be allowed to have access to the reward. Maybe make an elite mob icon around the character frame of the character you got it on, similar to the rank one rare mob one mentioned earlier, that is character specific to the char that actually got it.

Top rating applies to all brackets: Got 2.4k in 2's? Great, you get the same loot out of doing Rbgs / 3v3s without refarming the rating.

Ability to RNG elite gear in any bracket, any season with the same elite mog, once you have the 2k ding: I mean, DUURRRR of course you shouldn't have to regrind the 2k you already earned just to RNG the xmog you already have successfully reached the rating for. Or they could just unlock it when the season ends, which would make 1000x more sense either way.

Recolors of elite gear for each season: Again, pretty obvious that the gear shouldn't stay the same each season, and recolors are still lazy, but at least it'd be different rewards each season.

Elite Xmogs should be displayed in game: There should be a set of unique guards in town that show off the elite sets by wearing them, and offer to bring up arena queues. That way people are aware what the rewards are. Currently the only way to see the current season's elite mog in game is to see a player wearing it, and you can only see the xmog of last season when it is no longer attainable... which is incredibly dumb. Have them riding the gladiator's mount while wearing the rank 1 title. This would increase participation.

30-60 Echos of Domination per weekly loot box: Would make the RNG system less cancerous, as it would let you avoid the "Oh I got an elite trinket 5 weeks in a row" bs.

Repeatable Loot Boxes: You can spam queue mythic +'s... Why not let PvPers keep grinding out loot boxes?

Duelist now rewards a non armored version of the gladiator's mount. It is landlocked, so it cannot fly. I think that keeping a unique, PvP only model mount would be good for the game. Duelist could get the non armored version, and gladiators could have the armored. Being the top .6%-3% in any other game would be considered pretty god mode... so why is it treated as such a joke in WoW?

Racials are a talent selected at Class Trainers: This is the only reasonable way to allow racials to be enabled in arena, as having something as game changing as Every Man being decided at level 1, is really REALLY stupid. The fact that they are buffed / nerfed AFTER the fact is also REALLY REALLY stupid, as you no longer have control over what race you are without paying.

Horde and Alliance can now queue Arena / RBGs together: Major population issues with PvP right now, this would help. Give the "Eh, they're not so bad" buff and have it act as the Mercenary buff so you can actually find partners.

Make Random BGs have a chance to reward your arena rated gear: The hard part about getting gear should be acquiring the rating for the gear, not RNGing it. Problem with BGs right now is there's no motivation to queue for them, as they give you gear that's worse than heroic dungeons. This would fix that problem.
Part 2 - World/Bgs/Misc

2v2/3v3/RBG wins of the day are able to be done consecutively in one day: 7 bonus wins per week per bracket, so you are encouraged to keep queueing with your current team, rather than doing 1 RBG win for AP, then disbanding immediately after, and reforming one the next day.

Stat templates enabled in duels: There's already a PvP target dummy buff that enables stat templates, rename it to "Dueling" and auto apply it to duels.

Prestige System now tied to seasons and offers limited time seasonal gear xmog: The Prestige system's major flaws is that it's ungodly tedious, its rewards suck, and in its current iteration, it should be account bound. This would at least give some motivation to grind honor. Maybe have it just offer a recolor of the normal PvP gear set that season or something.

Prestige Levels boost the item level gear of Random Bg drops, and PvP world quests by each level of Prestige: You need a power increase reward for a MMO. WoW is not a FPS, you need to feel your character progressing, otherwise there's no desire to play.

PvP World Quests now are shared by Alliance and Horde (or is a FFA zone): Because seriously, who the hell thought that having a PvP quest with no PvP involved was a good idea?

Strands of the Ancients: Converted to 1 round: the winning team of a deathmatch decides who plays D and who plays O. Would make this bg infinitely less painful, as at least it'd be quick.

Wintergrasp and Tol Barad now queueable and scaled to level: Because if you can keep something as crappy as trashran in the game, you can scale up the actual good world bgs as well.

1v1 skirmishes are now enabled: Just something you can do while you're bored and want practice. Essentially just a dueling bracket with very limited rewards.

BG weekends are now back and add on an extra 10 item level to gear: Why was this concept ever removed in the first place? Could apply the 10 extra item level to the Brawls as well, or just add on some extra rewards depending on if they actually took my previous suggestions with prestige's effect on gearing.

Highest 2v2, 3v3, 10v10 current rating and past rating displayed in LFM: God does it get tedious armorying these people when it should be displayed in game.

Cool Off debuff that prevents you from msging people you faced in a match for 10 minutes: There's plenty of toxicity enough as it is. This would at least make it inconvenient for them to talk crap to you afterwards.

Enemy Faction Town Bosses now drop loot once a week and are scaled up each season (similar to greater portal bosses): Again, it's all about rewarding people to encourage participation. Maybe offer a chance at a Vicious Saddle or something as well.
Surprised you spent so much time writing this up when we all know blues don't come around these parts.

Good changes though. I like the duelist mount part the best
12/30/2017 07:27 PMPosted by Uglyfatcow
Surprised you spent so much time writing this up when we all know blues don't come around these parts.

Good changes though. I like the duelist mount part the best
That factor has stopped me from posting this in the past, just because I know they don't care... So I posted it in general discussion, bg forums, and arena forums... Tweeted it at the warcraft devs, tweeted it at holinka, and pasted it in the "submit suggestions" area in game. xD
I just wanna say...gg my friend.
I like it, did you send it to honkalinka to let him know what he could of done better?

Because I'm sure his gone.
12/30/2017 07:54 PMPosted by Rombull
I like it, did you send it to honkalinka to let him know what he could of done better?

Because I'm sure his gone.
He had retweeted one of the warcraft devs things concerning PvP... So I suspect that he is the incognito PvP dev still, and is likely switching to be the classic wow dev when those servers are ready, as he didn't mention where in Blizzard he was relocating to with his ending announcement.
These are some pretty cool ideas, I really like the idea of adding more loot to Faction Leaders, would be pretty cool to encourage more world PvP in BfA. As it stands now, I think world pvp is to much of a mess, but hopefully something for the future.

Gladiator mounts just need to be either set to a rating, which you can purchase once achieved, so people don't miss their mount by 20 rating. That has happened to me in the past.

Or they need to simply double the amount of players that get rank 1 and gladiator.

I don't see a difference between unlocking a gladiator mount at a certain rating, compared to "sitting for gladiator." Either I can get 2500 on my paladin, unlock the gladiator mount, and then move on to another char, play with other friends, etc. Or I can hit 2700 on my paladin and never log in on him again till the season is over. In both scenarios I have "stopped playing" once I reached my goal.

This would open up more people to push for that instant gratification, while also ensuring no one misses glad by 3 points. The players that do "sit for glad" can now acquire the mount instantly and have the option to play with friends or alts, etc.

However, I'm not a huge fan of sharing glad mounts across chars or limiting it to 1 per account. I think there is something to be said about pushing yourself to get gladiator on 1 char and then seeing if you can achieve it on another spec. It adds a bit of replay value to WoW. If i got gladiator on my paladin, and it all carried over to my monk, I may not try to push myself on the monk.

A "Highest *Expansion* Rating" would be nice.

Prestige system does need better rewards, but current Rated PvP needs an increase in honor rewards. This needs to be hotfixed.

PvP world quests sound good in the future, but World PvP isn't fun right now. The less World PvP I have to do, the better. Keep those faction (PvE) based for now.

Racials just need to be removed and the tier 1 talents in PvP need to be spec specific. IE Death Knights having Lichborne as a "secondary trinket" It's getting old playing nothing but Humans, orcs and BEs.

I would love WintersGrasp at max level, was so much fun to have something to look forward to doing at level 80. I remember sitting by the portal every 3 hours trying to get in. Would also be neat if they made a "PvP style - PvE encoutner" like the grand crusade instance, give PvErs a chance to experience a bit of their honor talents in a pve setting and see if it's something they want to try.

One thing I would really love to see is a PvP zone for both alliance and horde. Like a goblin arena on Kezan. Alliance and horde can duel eachother, templates enabled here. You can also queue into a 3v3 arena that can be spectated by players around the arena, like the Brawler's guild. Winning games gives you goblin tokens you can use to buy pets, mounts, tabards, and a unquie set.
12/30/2017 08:05 PMPosted by Zaim
Gladiator mounts just need to be either set to a rating, which you can purchase once achieved, so people don't miss their mount by 20 rating. That has happened to me in the past
I actually think this idea makes a lot of sense, as the more the PvP population fluxuates, the more it effectively reduces the amount of glad spots.

However, I'm not a huge fan of sharing glad mounts across chars or limiting it to 1 per account. I think there is something to be said about pushing yourself to get gladiator on 1 char and then seeing if you can achieve it on another spec. It adds a bit of replay value to WoW. If i got gladiator on my paladin, and it all carried over to my monk, I may not try to push myself on the monk.
See I'd be fine with ditching this idea if it were the set rating method... But when rank 1's / glads can have multiple characters, a lot of the times the same class, all getting glad... They're able to eat a lot of the very limited amount of glad spots there currently are, and I view that as very problematic.

The rewards system needs a rework... but I'm just a bit scared of Blizzard redoing it, because everything they touch, they seem to uberly screw up... So it makes finding a good solution tricky.
good write up. Especially with unarmored drakes going to duelists. It would help eliminate some of the toxicity that happens around those ratings
12/30/2017 08:20 PMPosted by Fox
Gladiator mounts just need to be either set to a rating, which you can purchase once achieved, so people don't miss their mount by 20 rating. That has happened to me in the past
I actually think this idea makes a lot of sense, as the more the PvP population fluxuates, the more it effectively reduces the amount of glad spots.

See I'd be fine with ditching this idea if it were the set rating method... But when rank 1's / glads can have multiple characters, a lot of the times the same class, all getting glad... They're able to eat a lot of the very limited amount of glad spots there currently are, and I view that as very problematic.

The rewards system needs a rework... but I'm just a bit scared of Blizzard redoing it, because everything they touch, they seem to uberly screw up... So it makes finding a good solution tricky.

I don't see any problem with PVP at all right now,
Sounds like you just need to #getgurd
12/30/2017 08:29 PMPosted by Bbqsammich
I don't see any problem with PVP at all right now,
Sounds like you just need to #getgurd
Been higher than you, so your comment is invalid.
some good points you made there man i'd be keen for them all to be in game.
12/30/2017 06:59 PMPosted by Fox
BG weekends are now back and add on an extra 10 item level to gear: Why was this concept ever removed in the first place?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1583278-Call-to-Arms-Removed
We've removed Call to Arms in Warlords. Originally, the feature was added to bring some variety to the battleground experience and allow players who like a specific battleground to occassionally binge on it.

But, like any feature, we have to weight the benefits with the consequences.

Call to Arms has an adverse affect [sic] on queue times in a pretty profound way. When certain battlegrounds are up, one faction will tend to queue for Call to Arms while the other tends to avoid it.

As a result, we're going to remove it so that the majority of players are queuing through Random Battlegrounds.
BG weekends are now back and add on an extra 10 item level to gear: Why was this concept ever removed in the first place?

[quote]We've removed Call to Arms in Warlords. Originally, the feature was added to bring some variety to the battleground experience and allow players who like a specific battleground to occassionally binge on it.

Call to Arms has an adverse affect [sic] on queue times in a pretty profound way. When certain battlegrounds are up, one faction will tend to queue for Call to Arms while the other tends to avoid it.

As a result, we're going to remove it so that the majority of players are queuing through Random Battlegrounds.

Yeah, I didn't really enjoy Call to Arms BGs. I'd avoid Eye of the Storm like they plague and hated queuing on Alliance for Isle of Conquest. Overall just wasn't that great.

I hope they do some updates to BGs in BfA. Brawls feel like a lot of fun, usually fast pace and great way to get honor, some BGs are feeling a bit outdated.

Additionally, I hope they introduce a PvE style arena in BfA. The new 3v3 PvEvP islands seem to be really fun and something I'm extremely excited for in the new expansion. If the technology for NPCs to actually be competent foes works out, I hope they make a 3v3 Arena were people can practice vs NPCs.

Skirmishes are great, but long queue times and even player intimidation kind of make them meh. It would be pretty neat if there was a way to queue up vs 3 NPCs in a match, to test out a class or whatever for new players.

It'd help new players remove that "Step into the Arena" intimidation.

[quote]We've removed Call to Arms in Warlords. Originally, the feature was added to bring some variety to the battleground experience and allow players who like a specific battleground to occassionally binge on it.

Except they already implemented a fix to this solution, which is the Mercenary buff... Which they need to not bury in the sewers of dalaran and make accessible from the queue window. They just haven't thought to readd it.
Dont make titles/mount account wide, it’s stupid if you can wear a duelist title on an alt you can barely break 2k with.

Glad mount/title should stay as is (percentage based). Tough luck you missed it by 20 points but if you set it to a set rating you wont change that. However rating in/deflation would make some glad mounts almost trivial (remember 2.7k duelists) or near impossible (when rating keeps deflating).

I agree that players keeping multiple title spots sucks. If it’s different classes, I can dig that, but petkick having 10 duelist dks is redundant... how this could be fixed is:
Take from every account the highest rated character and determine cutoffs from there, then every alt above that threshold will still get a title (basically extra titles but who cares, it’s not like you’d notice).

I like the duelist mount, doesn’t even have to change per season though an unarmored version every season shouldnt be too hard to do, and maybe a basic challenger/rival mount (nothing special, but like the vicious mounts). Challenger’s warhorse or something like that...
I like a lot of the ideas. Gotta agree with Laog on the duelist part though. There needs to be a better way than what we have but yeah people shouldn't get glad or whatever on their
Main and then have the same title on their fresh max lvl characters but I guess if the one that earned it got the emblem it's okay. So if you got glad on mage your mage would have a different icon and your priest would just look normal to show you didn't earn it on priest.

Any of those ideas I feel like would help. Hope they use some of our ideas in BfA
Half of me wants this reposted to GD for a better likely hood of the blues’ attention, the other half doesn’t because GD trolls will likely trash the thread and get it locked.

Good read though.
12/31/2017 02:55 AMPosted by Aurothx
Half of me wants this reposted to GD for a better likely hood of the blues’ attention, the other half doesn’t because GD trolls will likely trash the thread and get it locked.

Good read though.

It being posted there and getting locked means a blue at least saw it though and the original would still be here not plagued and locked