Real Talk Wyrmrest

Wyrmrest Accord
12/14/2017 11:21 AMPosted by Ursuola
I mean, it's a story about draenei. Draenei stories have always been wildly out of tone with the rest of Warcraft, to the point where it gets a little hard to enjoy them sometimes.

They had the opportunity to undo a lot of that in Chronicle 2, but instead just doubled down on it.

Y'know, I was just thinking the other day as I was re-running some WoD content that they've really got a raging authorial tentpost for the Draenei being really, really darkly affected by things and then turn around and do HAW HAW TENTACLE COMEDY.
12/14/2017 11:21 AMPosted by Ursuola
I mean, it's a story about draenei. Draenei stories have always been wildly out of tone with the rest of Warcraft, to the point where it gets a little hard to enjoy them sometimes.

They had the opportunity to undo a lot of that in Chronicle 2, but instead just doubled down on it.

*thousand yard stare at the Draenei who gets blown up and you keep her flaming shoes??? that she doesn't even WEAR CAUSE SHE HAS HOOVES????*
Draenei exist in the game to be victims. It's horrific and I don't want the mount, it's genuinely disturbing to me, but it fits the Warcraft canon for Draenei. The orcs need morally perfect people to kill for no reason so people will hate them.

And the Draenei need someone to victimize them, or their entire narrative falls apart.
12/14/2017 12:42 PMPosted by Zenrao
Draenei exist in the game to be victims.

That's my big problem with Blizzard's writing of draenei, but...

The orcs need morally perfect people to kill for no reason so people will hate them.

I don't think Blizzard wants people to hate orcs; not even in WoD, where they were villains. The fact that plenty of people come into threads discussing these issues to tell us how "cool" and "metal" things like the Ur'zul mount or the Path of Glory are suggests to me that the number of people who get "hatred of a villain" from these things is smaller than you'd think.

Which, honestly, I think is even worse. There's not even a point to it, from a narrative perspective; we're made to watch a victim race suffer over and over again because a subset of the playerbase thinks it's fun.
Draenei exist in the game to be victims. It's horrific and I don't want the mount, it's genuinely disturbing to me, but it fits the Warcraft canon for Draenei. The orcs need morally perfect people to kill for no reason so people will hate them.

And the Draenei need someone to victimize them, or their entire narrative falls apart.

Let's throw on the weird sexual fetishization of them too. Just to, just to make it really great.
The fact remains, and annoys me, that Blizzard basically conceived a race of immortal superheroes with the morality of Santa Claus, and the only place they have in narrative is to be the victims of atrocities.

It's an obvious but unsuccessful attempt to tug at heart strings. I don't really care what happens to Draenei because they're written as cardboard boxes whose sole purpose to be kicked, lit on fire, then pooped in.

After a while it's like "Oh something bad is happening to the Draenei, what a shock."
12/14/2017 02:33 PMPosted by Zenrao
The fact remains, and annoys me, that Blizzard basically conceived a race of immortal superheroes with the morality of Santa Claus, and the only place they have in narrative is to be the victims of atrocities.

It's an obvious but unsuccessful attempt to tug at heart strings. I don't really care what happens to Draenei because they're written as cardboard boxes whose sole purpose to be kicked, lit on fire, then pooped in.

After a while it's like "Oh something bad is happening to the Draenei, what a shock."

xe'ra... xe'ra... oh no... oh no xe'ra...

This is a grim day. But it is a day nonetheless. Let's make a furnace.

Also - Zenrao you are still alive so good job.
12/13/2017 07:50 PMPosted by Dayren
Ur'zul mounts are so wrong. Those are torture draenei sewn together.

WTH.

What's worse is a lightforged draenei riding an Ur'zul mount.

Oh.. no..

How are Draenei superheroes?
12/14/2017 03:31 PMPosted by Dayren

Their superpower is being effectively pathetic at everything they do.
That was a weird thing to pick out of everything I said.

12/14/2017 02:44 PMPosted by Karmas
Also - Zenrao you are still alive so good job.
I've noticed someone has mysteriously been absent. I wonder if it's related to his mountain of threats of violence...
That was a weird thing to pick out of everything I said.

[/quote]
It's really the only part I don't see eye to eye on, I was hoping you'd elaborate.
Really just going based off of what the devs had in mind while developing them.

"With the draenei, they wanted to create a very heroic theme for them leading to the "superman-poses" the draenei model has today."
I solemnly swear when I obtain mine to ride up to every Draenei I see and ask...

"Someone you knew?"
12/14/2017 08:25 PMPosted by Dubor
I solemnly swear when I obtain mine to ride up to every Draenei I see and ask...

"Someone you knew?"

And every draenei will reply, "Parn gul orah lok tor faralos adare?"
12/14/2017 08:31 PMPosted by Bagsworth

"Someone you knew?"

It's usually just goibon

"Someone you knew?"

Stuff like this is what I'm talking about, by the way.
12/14/2017 08:33 PMPosted by Dayren
12/14/2017 08:31 PMPosted by Bagsworth

It's usually just goibon

Well, I was assuming there were no guards around to be called, and when approached by a bull speaking Taur-ahe they'd just wonder what he was on about.

12/14/2017 08:34 PMPosted by Ursuola

It's odd that it would follow essentially three pages of people talking about all the bad taste draenei jokes.
12/14/2017 08:47 PMPosted by Bagsworth
12/14/2017 08:33 PMPosted by Dayren
It's usually just goibon

Well, I was assuming there were no guards around to be called, and when approached by a bull speaking Taur-ahe they'd just wonder what he was on about.

12/14/2017 08:34 PMPosted by Ursuola

It's odd that it would follow essentially three pages of people talking about all the bad taste draenei jokes.

Or maybe I didn't bother to read the 3 pages and just wanted to contribute my own.

Also, 'bad taste'? It's a fictional race, and the jokes are made in good fun.

Get over yourselves.
12/14/2017 09:23 AMPosted by Bruticus
12/14/2017 08:39 AMPosted by Mathildwyr
I just think the horror factor has been far overshot. Like, I have a kid - it is literally my responsibility to worry over and protect a child - and the mount/pet don't tug at those super pluckable emotional strings at all.

It's like those super grimdark comics from the nineties. They went as far as they could imagine in the name of evoking a response, but it's all lost in a haze of "seriously why".

https://i.imgur.com/sXUpYai.jpg

https://tinyurl.com/yaph74dr

ALL will SUFFER, as I have SUFFERED!