Frost vs. Unholy

Death Knight
01/02/2018 11:17 AMPosted by Lorsaire
It's been mentioned already, but Frost right now is generally outperforming Unholy in Antorus slightly, but not by a ton.

There is a boss to boss difference in the fights, and there are a few where Unholy & Frost either log so close or where Unholy is slightly ahead that it spec choice makes little to no difference.

• Garothi Worldbreaker: Frost favored Heroic & Mythic. Frost and Unholy so close, skill will determine the difference
  • Felhounds of Sargeras: Frost & Unholy near tie, no favor so only skill will make the difference
  • Antoran High Command: Frost favored Heroic & Mythic, Frost enough ahead of Unholy that it makes a difference, but close enough high skill Unholy will outperform low skill Frost
  • Eonar: Frost significantly ahead of Unholy Heroic & Mythic, would be challenging to make up in skill
  • Portal Keeper Hasabel: Frost favored Heroic & Mythic, Frost enough ahead of Unholy that it makes a difference, but close enough high skill Unholy will outperform low skill Frost.
  • Imonar the Soulhunter: Frost & Unholy near tie, no favor so only skill will make the difference
  • Kin'garoth: Frost very significantly ahead of Unholy Heroic & Mythic, Unholy is not worthwhile at all on this fight.
  • Varimathras: Frost & Unholy near tie, no favor so only skill will make the difference
  • Coven of Shivarra: Frost favored Heroic & Mythic. Frost and Unholy so close, skill will determine the difference
  • Aggramar: Frost favored Heroic & Mythic, Frost enough ahead of Unholy that it makes a difference, but close enough high skill Unholy will outperform low skill Frost.
  • Argus: Frost favored Heroic & Mythic, Frost enough ahead of Unholy that it makes a difference, but close enough high skill Unholy will outperform low skill Frost.

Unholy is perfectly competitive with Frost on (98%-101% Unholy/Frost): Worldbreaker, Felhounds, Imonar, Varimathras. Skill alone should determine these.

Unholy is only slightly behind Frost, but near enough to compete on(94%-97% Unholy/Frost): High Command, Portalkeeper, Coven, Aggramar, Argus. Mostly skill but some spec choice influence.

Unholy is only not worthwhile on (84%-90% Unholy/Frost): Eonar, Kin'garoth. Mostly spec choice.

Thank you, for this.
Wow; this is making it hard for me to make a reliable decision; there aren't any spreadsheets or screenshots depicting how each spec compares but people indeed argue about opinion. I like the unholy playstyle and frost but to a lesser extent; I do however prefer the frost's remorseless winter AOE because it moves with the player instead of the static death and decay with unholy. Why I came to the forums was to inform myself about which spec has better AOEs/single-target DPS overall or which spec performs best most reliably in raids or dungeons. At the time of writing this post according to warcraftlogs, frost DKs were more prevalent in all 5 raids with the exception of Antorus where no DKs were in the top 10 and the Nighthold where the only DK in top 10 is unholy. As for Mythic+ All Stars in the top 10, an unholy DK placed 5th in dps rankings. Based on the data there isn't an overall "best spec" but for raids frost DK seem to perform better as for Mythic+, unholy would deliver higher damage.
01/18/2018 07:18 PMPosted by Conser
However, people are acting like the difference between frost and unholy is like a grown man with with a block shape matching toy (frost) vs a man with 3 fingers trying to hack the world's most secure server (unholy).

Writing out this metaphor took more effort and thought than both specs combined.

(nice necro btw)
As much as I hate to admit it, being an Unholy main myself, but Frost is performing much better due to needing less ramp-up time, and better burst.
Scrolling through this thread is like playing duck, duck, goose. The ducks are those with statistical literacy and know to report how the different specs are performing overall in the current content. The geese are those waste people's time with useless anecdotes. Frost is doing better right now overall, regardless of anyone's feelings.
03/24/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Nekasrofmi
Scrolling through this thread is like playing duck, duck, goose. The ducks are those with statistical literacy and know to report how the different specs are performing overall in the current content. The geese are those waste people's time with useless anecdotes. Frost is doing better right now overall, regardless of anyone's feelings.

Irony... seeing as you provide no stats to support your anecdotal statement.
Just look at warcraftlogs.. frost is current top.. unholy is not horrible but it is behind in dps slightly.
03/30/2018 04:33 AMPosted by Astinus
03/24/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Nekasrofmi

Irony... seeing as you provide no stats to support your anecdotal statement.

Babby needs to be spoonfed? Warcraftlogs...
01/02/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Saverin
Frost DK is my new main. I really enjoy the play style since it reminds me of what Ret Pally used to be with the procs. It is just fun to me. Love the passive aoe!!!!!! Versus playing a ret paladin for about 10 years and seeing how much they keep changing the spec over and over till its no longer fun to play. Viable! But not fun. Frost has given that back to me.

holy !@#$ get out of my head
Just play Frost.
I personally hate Frost, but it outperforms, it's easier, and Blizzard gives them more care than Unholy. The current, lazy iteration of Unholy that we got in Legion and the fact that it still isn't changed on BFA alpha is a testament to that.
Spare yourself the suffering.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/17#dataset=95
I gotta say, that the beat way to choose between the two is by simply looking at the specs overall frost(fulltime melee) unholy (tanky caster[like a lock with a smidge of melee]) then blood (fulltime melee tank). I don't see the numbers mattering enough because if you dislike the spec then you'll be garbage and bored. Numbers don't mean anything, unless you're hitting progression hard or going 15++ on dungs. Pick the playstyle that keeps you involved and alert.