Warlocks and Summoning

General Discussion
I just joined an N-EN run, i was bored and decided to help with my leveled lock.
we made it through Nythendra, and ursoc, then we lost 2-3 people and once we got to the dragons of nightmare, the raid leader in all caps yells at me, "LOCK WTF ARE YOU DOING? SUMMON THE NEW GUYS, ITS ALL YOU ARE FOR", that made me really mad. I am here to play, i am not at all required to help summon people and set up the raid. Simply because i have an ability that is beneficial to a raid does not make it my responsibility/duty to use it, Especially when you are rude and TELL me to do so.

Simply because i am a warlock does not make you, the new people just getting into a raid, entitled to get summoned by me. It is a privilege to be summoned, not a right, and if you are rude to me, make your own way or get out.
01/02/2018 02:09 PMPosted by Andronin
It is a privilege to be summoned, not a right

Not really, its very rare for a single class to have such a cool amount of utility assigned to them and them alone, whenever a new person joins a group or leaves to change talents i just drop a stone instinctively.

I drop soulwells and summoning stones all over the place just in case they're needed, don't expect pleases and thankyou every time >.<

When it comes to lazy people joining a raid and pressing 1111 while the rest of the group is still forming and making its way to the instance i 100% agree, those people can go die in a fire somewhere lol
I enjoy being what I call the "dim frame sentry"

If we're staring down the boss and there are dim frames (people out of range), I start channeling the summon stone thing. I figure there's nothing to lose by being proactive about it.

I usually drop a healthstone pot before each boss too. I'm happy to.

Warlock do him jerb.

01/02/2018 02:30 PMPosted by Virus
Not really, its very rare for a single class to have such a cool amount of utility assigned to them and them alone, whenever a new person joins a group or leaves to change talents i just drop a stone instinctively.

What a remarkable precedent of awesome warlocks to start off this thread. I'm glad I'm not alone here.

When it comes to lazy people joining a raid and pressing 1111 while the rest of the group is still forming and making its way to the instance i 100% agree, those people can go die in a fire somewhere lol

Yeah, be at the dang dungeon entrance when you sign up for something in dungeon finder. There's a difference between needing a summon in Nighthold from the entrance to Botanist vs spamming for one from Dalaran to Botanist.

Also, abusive raid leaders suck. I'm surprised people didn't drop after they got a whiff of that.
You're expected to do warlock stuff. People aren't going to beg for you to press a button, they will find someone else who will be happy to get carried as their summon boy. Play another class if it annoys you, because there's no avoiding it.
01/02/2018 02:30 PMPosted by Envis
You're expected to do warlock stuff. People aren't going to beg for you to press a button

This is stupid. There's a world of difference between saying 'summon stone, pls' and screaming at someone in all caps and acting like a 12 year old wow nerd.
As a Druid I am expected to use my Rebirth ability as required; rarely do I have to be told. I keep an eye on the Raid and if a Healer or Tank bites it, I make sure to bring them back into the action. If a DPS bites it, well... I use my better judgement.

You are not required to use your special summoning power as a Warlock; you will however be judged for it if you don't. If that judgement bothers you, however justified or not, I suggest you play a less Raid-utility oriented Class.
01/02/2018 02:32 PMPosted by Infernastorm
You're expected to do warlock stuff. People aren't going to beg for you to press a button

This is stupid. There's a world of difference between saying 'summon stone, pls' and screaming at someone in all caps and acting like a 12 year old wow nerd.

You don't have to play with people you dislike, but if summoning stone isn't up before every boss, there's probably someone who can do this job better.
I bet if the op has a mage he complains about others benefiting from timewarp and mage tables also.

Summoning is part of your toolkit for the benefit of a group you are with, get over your self
You're expected to do warlock stuff. People aren't going to beg for you to press a button, they will find someone else who will be happy to get carried as their summon boy. Play another class if it annoys you, because there's no avoiding it.

you say this as if im not good at my class. i was the most geared out person in the raid. i was not being carried
01/02/2018 02:36 PMPosted by Kydoìme
I bet if the op has a mage he complains about others benefiting from timewarp and mage tables also.

Summoning is part of your toolkit for the benefit of a group you are with, get over your self

my issue is not with using my summoning, its with being yelled at and told rudely to summon people.
01/02/2018 02:38 PMPosted by Andronin
01/02/2018 02:36 PMPosted by Kydoìme

my issue is not with using my summoning, its with being yelled at and told rudely to summon people.

It's not quite the lesson you'd hoped for but hopefully the payload was the same.

Be proactive while in a raid as a warlock. Offer things before you think they're needed (drop healthstone before boss pull, pre-soulstone a tank if one's demonstrating they're new or squishy). It goes a long way.
Is it so hard to press a button? Do your job
01/02/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Starien

It's not quite the lesson you'd hoped for but hopefully the payload was the same.

Be proactive while in a raid as a warlock. Offer things before you think they're needed (drop healthstone before boss pull, pre-soulstone a tank if one's demonstrating they're new or squishy). It goes a long way.

does not really have anything to do with the situation. the issue is other people being rude or inconsiderate. people who DEMAND summons don't deserve them, nor will they receive them from me

As i said, if you get into the habit of being aware of your groups needs nobody will ever bark orders at you again, i get it, i hate people ordering me around and being snippy about stuff but if i drop a stone the instant a new person joins a group or any other situation where i think a summon could be helpful nobody is ever in a position to tell me to do it.

Its within your power to make sure nobody ever tells you to drop a stone again.
01/02/2018 02:43 PMPosted by Swiftyhunter
Is it so hard to press a button? Do your job

im not there to summon people, im there to kill bosses. just because i have access to an ability does not make it my responsibility to use it. and the only reason i did not use it, the raid leader was rude when he told me to summon people.
01/02/2018 02:37 PMPosted by Andronin

you say this as if im not good at my class. i was the most geared out person in the raid. i was not being carried

Your class isn't just your dps.

I agree with Virus on it

If people act like spergs, you can just leave.
01/02/2018 02:45 PMPosted by Virus

As i said, if you get into the habit of being aware of your groups needs nobody will ever bark orders at you again, i get it, i hate people ordering me around and being snippy about stuff but if i drop a stone the instant a new person joins a group or any other situation where i think a summon could be helpful nobody is ever in a position to tell me to do it.

Its within your power to make sure nobody ever tells you to drop a stone again.

they where never in a position to tell me what to do anyways, nobody is entitled to my summons. Because it is MY ability, it is a privilege to be able to receive one
01/02/2018 02:44 PMPosted by Andronin
does not really have anything to do with the situation. the issue is other people being rude or inconsiderate. people who DEMAND summons don't deserve them, nor will they receive them from me
Sadly, such is the case in the anonymity of the internet.

You have a few options at your disposal:

Explain that you refuse to summon people who demand action on your part without proper courtesies. Accept whatever outcome comes about.

Explain that you will not cater to those who are rude, then promptly leave the group.

Explain that you dislike it when people demand utilities without asking, then proceed to use your utility as a show of good support.

Preemptively make your utility available for others to use, negating any demands or rude behaviour entirely; you retain your commitments and moral grounds on your own terms.
01/02/2018 02:47 PMPosted by Andronin
they where never in a position to tell me what to do anyways, nobody is entitled to my summons. Because it is MY ability, it is a privilege to be able to receive one

Look past the rudeness and pull the actual lesson out of this experience.
I think that's what the warlocks in this thread are advising. Just because someone acts poorly doesn't strip you of your ability to demonstrate humility.
01/02/2018 02:51 PMPosted by Bracken
01/02/2018 02:44 PMPosted by Andronin
Sadly, such is the case in the anonymity of the internet.

You have a few options at your disposal:

Explain that you refuse to summon people who demand action on your part without proper courtesies. Accept whatever outcome comes about.

Explain that you will not cater to those who are rude, then promptly leave the group.

Explain that you dislike it when people demand utilities without asking, then proceed to use your utility as a show of good support.

Preemptively make your utility available for others to use, negating any demands or rude behaviour entirely; you retain your commitments and moral grounds on your own terms.

I just flat out did not summon anyone and said no when the raid leader demanded me summon people. I did not get removed becasue i was the best dps in raid