Speed runs

Classic Discussion
you're going to need a big freakin hard drive for that one video.
12/29/2017 06:58 PMPosted by Nelthene
This is why i wait a month to start.

I plan to log in make 4 characters then log off for a week or two. Let the rush go by.
Everyone knows what the heck to do in Vanilla now.
Hell because of it's early announcement everyone is learning best routes again. There are guides out for it now constantly updating.

When Classic was announced I said 60's will be around a week after launch, now that time has gone on I'm guessing a few days now.
12/29/2017 04:30 PMPosted by Cagath
Who else gonna try and level the fastest with me? No cuts in your video allowed.Post the WHOLE 0-60 speed leveling in ONE video.

I looked up for the fastest times from 1-60 leveling and it's over 4 days. You would have to play the game for 4 days nonstop. That isn't possible. 4 days without eating or sleeping would most likely kill you and even if it didn't your performance would suffer greatly and you would end up not leveling as efficently making it even longer.
12/29/2017 07:23 PMPosted by Cheater
Anyone got some advice on cheap/free high quality screen capturing solutions?

I kind of want to start making videos.
My advice from trying to get into the video scene (didn't make it :P), is just OBS. It's free, it has scenes, you can throw the clips into editing software, it might be more space efficient than other capture programs... I know it's streaming software, but for ease of access it's also great for just recording.
Nope. Taking it slow and Steady.

I MIGHT rush if we're getting a progressive patch release, just to see the original end-game, since by the time i got my affairs in order and got serious about getting into raiding, it was already 1.6 and things had started to change A LOT.

if it's just a progressive content release or a non-progressive Franken-patch, then i don't care and will just take my time.
I sincerely doubt this. 4d20h is the record. Can’t see this being reduced that much...

A few days = 3 days (more than a couple and less than several).

Good luck
A) beating Joanna’s record
B)staying up for 72+ hours and operating at max efficiency
C) eating, drinking, urinating and defecating irl while performing a and b

If you can do it then record the whole lot in one stream.

What may happen is people taking ‘shifts’ on the same toon. Ie I play 12 you play 12. I recall this happening on bc launch and a BE pally beating a whole bunch of peeps to 70. But that was using 2.0 talents on Vanilla content and having access to a full economy so they could buy gear to assist. Needless to say, they diced it up.

On a virgin server, you’ll be lucky to get a good piece of gear especially if you’re playing 24/7 for 72 hours as stated. Remember you won’t have your heirlooms you have come to rely upon

12/30/2017 11:32 AMPosted by Odurren
Everyone knows what the heck to do in Vanilla now.
Hell because of it's early announcement everyone is learning best routes again. There are guides out for it now constantly updating.

When Classic was announced I said 60's will be around a week after launch, now that time has gone on I'm guessing a few days now.
I feel like your hard drive would fill up. That's like a minimum of 4 days played.

shadowplay,or most other people use OBS studio.

Also bandicam you could look into that.
12/30/2017 10:22 AMPosted by Orafu
you're going to need a big freakin hard drive for that one video.

That's a pretty valid point....

Maybe I should just live stream it instead.
12/30/2017 11:40 AMPosted by Doregit
12/29/2017 04:30 PMPosted by Cagath
Who else gonna try and level the fastest with me? No cuts in your video allowed.Post the WHOLE 0-60 speed leveling in ONE video.

I looked up for the fastest times from 1-60 leveling and it's over 4 days. You would have to play the game for 4 days nonstop. That isn't possible. 4 days without eating or sleeping would most likely kill you and even if it didn't your performance would suffer greatly and you would end up not leveling as efficently making it even longer.

You're telling me that the record is over 4 days,but it's not possible to achieve?

I'm pretty certain somebody told the person who achieved it in 4 days that it wasn't possible either.

You can't just mental block yourself right off the bat.
I'll be starting off by creating a warrior, mage, and priest. ill get them all to around level 5 get to the first inn and play the mage and priest intermetiently to avoid rested cap. warrior has been my main since wotlk and have been tanking for all of it. I think I'll mainly go fury warrior but we will see. I don't really want to level tank in vanilla since the announcement I leveled to 10 on a private server and using a shield sucks. to slow and no real protection bonus.
Not me. I plan on soaking in every, single, moment.
12/30/2017 03:39 PMPosted by Cagath

You're telling me that the record is over 4 days,but it's not possible to achieve?

I'm pretty certain somebody told the person who achieved it in 4 days that it wasn't possible either.

afaik that record wasn’t on a fresh server where there will be heavy competition for quest items and mobs and no gold reserves for easy gear upgrades. i imagine it will take quite a bit longer for these reasons alone.

It was 4d20h of /played
He did it playing 17h per day. This took him approx 1 week to hit 60.
12/30/2017 06:10 PMPosted by Merkinjerk

afaik that record wasn’t on a fresh server where there will be heavy competition for quest items and mobs and no gold reserves for easy gear upgrades. i imagine it will take quite a bit longer for these reasons alone.

It was a fresh server. I think it was even a challenge set by blizz.
He used a level 37 bow all the way to 55ish.
It was an awesome accomplishment. I paid for his guide it was really useful!
12/30/2017 06:16 PMPosted by Rathpex
12/30/2017 06:10 PMPosted by Merkinjerk

It was a fresh server. I think it was even a challenge set by blizz.
He used a level 37 bow all the way to 55ish.
It was an awesome accomplishment. I paid for his guide it was really useful!

good to know. that is definitely impressibe.
Silly question for everyone implying there would be no time to eat or take care of biological needs ... is there some magic way to do all that leveling so efficiently you never take a flight path? (I ask as someone who usually got up and got things done every time I had to fly.)

I also remember some of the most efficient being people who had friends assist along the way (without grouping, but healing or buffing or providing portals or summons).

I suppose it's also a question of /played versus real world time passed, because if someone logs out every night and sleeps 8 hours, it gives them rested XP and their /played doesn't include the time offline.
12/30/2017 07:17 PMPosted by Eilethalua
Silly question for everyone implying there would be no time to eat or take care of biological needs ... is there some magic way to do all that leveling so efficiently you never take a flight path? (I ask as someone who usually got up and got things done every time I had to fly.)

It was more around not being able to play 24/7 without a break as previously implied. 100% agree with eating, bio, whatever while on a FP

I also remember some of the most efficient being people who had friends assist along the way (without grouping, but healing or buffing or providing portals or summons).

Yes these people can help. However... on a virgin server if you’re leading the pack and miles ahead of the next person they can’t really do much besides the odd portal here and there.

I suppose it's also a question of /played versus real world time passed, because if someone logs out every night and sleeps 8 hours, it gives them rested XP and their /played doesn't include the time offline.

This holds true to an extent. In theory you could beat the 4d20h by maximising rested xp. If you’re speed running just to get to 60 and wanting to do it in the shortest amount of RL time from server launch, then you generally shouldn’t even log out at an inn. 8 hours (sleep time or 6 likely!) will give Bugger all rested. You’re better off logging out on the spot and saving the 10 mins of running. Those extra 10 mins can be spent more efficiently completeing quests to overtake that small bar of rested...

Like I said, I used the guide for my 2nd and 3rd horde 60. The second one is the one which counts as it was pre 2.0. I think I got there in about 6-7 days. I also collected exalted with defilers at level 39. I did AB a LOT. I wasn’t twinked but wanted to set myself up for the staff at 60 without having to pvp against geared 60’s. I did score a lot of rested doing it. The max was 1.5 levels I think? This much did help me to make up some lost ground from pvping.