PTR Development Notes - Build 25807

7.3.5 PTR General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 11 Next
Today from the daily heroic it showed up with 5 wakening essences as one of the rewards. My monk has 5 WW legendaries only and all of which are ilvl 1000. I never got the quest and today is randomly the first day I could receive 5 as a reward.

This is the first time I've ever been able to obtain wakening essence on this character and when it comes down to it, I have no real reason to be getting them if not for stock piling come patch day.

Is this some kind of hot fix?

*edit* Anddddd the blue post appears lol. Much apprecaited!
A few additional details on the new Legendary token:

• We've just pushed a hotfix live that makes Wakening Essences drop for everyone, regardless of whether you're on the quest or not.
  • We'll also be dramatically increasing both the number of Essences required to purchase tokens and the rate at which you gain them in Patch 7.3.5. The overall time investment needed to purchase a token will stay roughly the same, but this will minimize the benefits of stockpiling Essences ahead of time.
    • Note: Emissary bags earned prior to the release of 7.3.5 will still give pre-7.3.5 numbers of Essences. There is no benefit to saving Emissary bags until afer the patch.
  • We also plan to add Wakening Essences to your first Battleground win of the day in 7.3.5.
  • The tokens are bind-on-pickup, because we don't want to overly encourage players to farm Essences on alt characters in order to feed Legendary items to their mains. However, if you purchase and use a token on a character that already has all of the available legendaries for their class, you will be given a random BoA token for another class.
Would it be possible to make the new legendary token BoA when you've collected all of the legendaries for your class, rather than doing the random class specific BoA token? Just thinking about situations where you get a token for a) a class you don't play or b) a class that you've already got all of the legendaries for.
Thank you! I've been seriously unlucky on my paladin alt - not a single legendary. Being able to start collecting essences now for it will help immensely. :)
01/08/2018 01:18 PMPosted by Lore
However, if you purchase and use a token on a character that already has all of the available legendaries for their class, you will be given a random BoA token for another class.

Any word on what will happen with Class-specific BoA tokens used on characters that already have every Legendary? Currently, it turns back into the same disappointment-shaped Class-specific BoA token.
Could it at least turn into a new Class token?
How much is "dramatically increased"?
01/08/2018 01:26 PMPosted by Kegstand
How much is "dramatically increased"?

im going to say at least double
01/08/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Zarkeven
Ugh, so much for heading in the right direction with this change...

but this will minimize the benefits of stockpiling Essences ahead of time.
Out of morbid curiosity, why not just average out and let everyone start with the same amount (give gold or something for excess essences) or just do a full reset?
01/08/2018 01:28 PMPosted by Kegstand
01/08/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Zarkeven
Ugh, so much for heading in the right direction with this change...

"We'll also be dramatically increasing both the number of Essences required to purchase tokens and the rate at which you gain them"

It's literally the exact same pacing, if you extract all possible sources you can net yourself one extra legendary a week. They're just making it so ppl couldn't buy like say 4-5+ as the patch hits.
We've just pushed a hotfix live that makes Wakening Essences drop for everyone, regardless of whether you're on the quest or not.

This is a fine example of listening to feedback and quickly addressing the issues raised.

this will minimize the benefits of stockpiling Essences ahead of time.

And this is an equally fine example of a totally unnecessary restriction/behavior modification scheme. Ideally players SHOULD be able to stockpile effectively so as to obsolete the wildly unpopular legendary system ASAP.
01/08/2018 01:32 PMPosted by Triune
It's literally the exact same pacing, if you extract all possible sources you can net yourself one extra legendary a week. They're just making it so ppl couldn't buy like say 4-5+ as the patch hits.
I read the bold part, ty though.

How do we know it's "the exact same pacing"? And if it was such an issue, why not just do a full reset on essences? Or have everyone get a starter quest with enough essences for an upgrade instead of arbitrarily increasing the amount needed/gained?

• We've just pushed a hotfix live that makes Wakening Essences drop for everyone, regardless of whether you're on the quest or not.
  • We'll also be dramatically increasing both the number of Essences required to purchase tokens and the rate at which you gain them in Patch 7.3.5. The overall time investment needed to purchase a token will stay roughly the same, but this will minimize the benefits of stockpiling Essences ahead of time.
    • Note: Emissary bags earned prior to the release of 7.3.5 will still give pre-7.3.5 numbers of Essences. There is no benefit to saving Emissary bags until afer the patch.
  • We also plan to add Wakening Essences to your first Battleground win of the day in 7.3.5.
  • The tokens are bind-on-pickup, because we don't want to overly encourage players to farm Essences on alt characters in order to feed Legendary items to their mains. However, if you purchase and use a token on a character that already has all of the available legendaries for their class, you will be given a random BoA token for another class.

How about letting only character who have unlocked all available legendary ability to buy bind on account tokens?
With this, you've officially killed all of my systems complaints about this expac. Now that artifact research isn't a thing, leggos are easier to acquire, and flying is in the game, it makes me sad that Legion is coming to an end.

That said, I have to assume, based on history and the presence of unsullied/legendary BoA tokens, the idea is to encourage players to play Alts to stay busy during the late expac content drought. That's fine, in fact it doesn't bother me at all. All I ask is you guys don't repeat the mistakes of the past yet again and make BFA incredibly alt unfriendly again. It's been way every expac since MoP came out and BfA is a great opportunity to break the cycle!
There is no benefit to saving Emissary bags until afer the patch.

https://i.imgur.com/gPIJJii.jpg
Also on another note. It is my understanding that if a character with full legendaries for all specs of their class uses a token, it creates a RANDOM token for another class. This really does not need to be random. RNG is probably Legion's biggest complaint.

I would suggest making the tokens account bound so you can send them to the alt you want them on and have them be usable.

(apparently I wasn't the first to suggest this)
The tokens are bind-on-pickup, because we don't want to overly encourage players to farm Essences on alt characters in order to feed Legendary items to their mains.

Would that be so horrible this late in the expac if we put in the work to earn it that way? I guess I am asking for too much. Carry on then. *sigh*
While not strictly related to the PTR, I'm kind curious what will be done with our legendaries in BFA. Will they strip the special effects? Lock them out after level 110? Something will be done, and I'm expecting the same treatment as legacy set bonuses, but I don't know for sure.

Can you give us an idea of how much the tokens will cost, or what kind a multiplier is being put on the cost of the token, and the acquisition rate of the essences in 7.3.5?

It would be nice to know because I want to gauge how worthwhile it would be to try getting them now. Sometimes like doubling the cost and acquisition rate? Yeah maybe reasonable to try to farm enough essences for a single token on launch, but if it's like 5 times more expensive in 7.3.5, then I'd rather just wait for the patch.

Without giving a number, you're going to have a lot of disappointed players who put in time to farm the items and potentially not having enough to even buy a single token.
There is no benefit to saving Emissary bags until afer the patch.

However there should be a benefit to saving emissary QUESTS till after the patch. Try to set it up so you get back to 3 emissaries available during the reset on patch day.
01/08/2018 01:28 PMPosted by Kegstand
but this will minimize the benefits of stockpiling Essences ahead of time.
Out of morbid curiosity, why not just average out and let everyone start with the same amount (give gold or something for excess essences) or just do a full reset?

People who have already obtained most or all of their legendaries for their class may still be working on upgrading theirs, so resetting their progress isn't a good idea.