Wow token blew up again

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next
12/21/2017 03:07 PMPosted by Bertane
Could you buy tokens for real money yesterday sell them at 220k gold and then use that gold to buy tokens today for 150k to apply to bnet balance ?
I suppose I could, but I think most of us who buy the tokens for gold do so for other reasons. In my case, I have a server of non-max alts who are a bit cash-strapped. When the price went over 200k, I couldn't resist buying one with cash and selling it for gold on that server. Now those alts don't have to beg on street corners any more. ;)
12/21/2017 03:21 PMPosted by Brahmina
Could you buy tokens for real money yesterday sell them at 220k gold and then use that gold to buy tokens today for 150k to apply to bnet balance ?
I suppose I could, but I think most of us who buy the tokens for gold do so for other reasons. In my case, I have a server of non-max alts who are a bit cash-strapped. When the price went over 200k, I couldn't resist buying one with cash and selling it for gold on that server. Now those alts don't have to beg on street corners any more. ;)

k, but if there are no restrictions people willing to gamble a little could actually make enough in these situations not to have to actually pay anything for their subs even without farming gold.
12/21/2017 02:39 PMPosted by Cihys

Correct. You get the price that is quoted whether the price rises or falls. Token price is volatile and goes up and down in small bits all the time.

This time I made gold in comparison. Usually I put up too soon when the price is low and it is higher by the time mine sells, so I lose gold in comparison. So it works out in terms of the gold that Blizzard pays out.

How does this work for someone who normally pays their sub with real money.

If you do that:

-$20 (when you buy the token from Blizard)
+220k Gold (after the token sells in the auction house)
-150k Gold (to buy a token in the auction house)
+15 "Blizzard Bucks" (after you buy the token)

So basically you give Blizzard $20 and get a 15 dollar gift card and 70k gold.
153k right now, guess they spiked and then crashed lol...
12/21/2017 03:26 PMPosted by Isabel

Sounds like a lot of people with spare tokens saw the big number and decided to sell. Bubbles always have a tendency to pop.
12/21/2017 03:24 PMPosted by Corellon

How does this work for someone who normally pays their sub with real money.

If you do that:

I forgot to account for the extra $5 you have to pay for the token - that is the catch - you need to get a big spread to pay really.
12/21/2017 03:29 PMPosted by Neosamuel
12/21/2017 03:26 PMPosted by Isabel

Sounds like a lot of people with spare tokens saw the big number and decided to sell. Bubbles always have a tendency to pop.

And they aren't dropping in price as fast now - so more people buying them again off the ah.
Well i am glad i bought another 2 months with $$$ theres no way id make enough for a token rn
I just witness the great token crash of 2017
12/20/2017 08:45 PMPosted by Hollowchåzz
Rest in peace, 218k wow tokens are here.

Hello inflation!

battle.net balance from wow tokens has to go, too many greedy people are buying dozens of tokens and ruining it for everyone. like bruh you don't need 5 legion wow accounts, hearthstone packs, and destiny.

tokens need a cap so it doesn't blow up the economy, Any noob can spend 60 dollars and get 600k.

imagine if tokens were 1m gold
now imagine if tokens were 10m gold

there is a point at which players will just buy one token and break the games economy mechanics.

This post exhibits a total lack of economics knowledge, but does exhibit the emotionally response that a controlled market would bring. Controlled markets didn't help the U.S.S.R., Cuba, N. Korea, or even Venuzuela. The OP has very dangerous ideas that would make it worse for all.

Blizzard will not get involved, and the market will stabilize eventually, because it always does without any gov't influences.

Also OP, you can also play WoW for $15 per month, or even cheaper if you buy multiple months at one time.
12/21/2017 03:29 PMPosted by Bertane
12/21/2017 03:24 PMPosted by Corellon

If you do that:

I forgot to account for the extra $5 you have to pay for the token - that is the catch - you need to get a big spread to pay really.

The way I would do it is this:

Since you are losing 5 dollars on this transaction, you need to make those 5 dollars count. 5 dollars is 1/4 of the ticket price.

Look up the price of the token over the week prior to the spike. Roughly figure out the average price. Take that number and divide it by 4.

Then look at the price of the token now that i has spiked, and divide it by 4.

If the spiked number is greater than the average number, then the deal is worth it... So long as you were going to sped 15 bucks on Blizzard stuff anyway.
So if you buy a few tokens and sell them on the A.H for gold, you can then use that gold to buy yourself a heroic or maybe even a mythic raid run. Get your toon geared and pick a mount on the side. Who says there is no pay to play?
12/20/2017 08:46 PMPosted by Bracken
Supply & Demand. Economics 101.

Unfortunately, many players, including the OP, are ignorant of this.

Yes, but it's not as much of a deal as it seems.

Say someone bought 3 tokens (so $60) and listed at 220k gold each. That's 660k gold they get once all 3 are sold.

To get their $60 back in Battle.net Balance, they would have to buy 4 tokens. If token prices are 150k gold when they buy them, that's 600k gold.

They end up making 60k gold. Was it worth it? That's really not that much in the current game economy (though I know it would still be a large amount to some players).

If the price drops more, their net gold profit goes up. If the price dropped to 132g, they could buy 5 tokens and end up with $75 in B.net Balance so they're ahead $15 (as long as they're fine with B.net Balance instead of cash in pocket). It the price goes up to 165k, they break even.

The last 24 hours are a very unusual fluctuation. I doubt it's worth pursuing for those who are trying to flip for profit in gold or Battle.net Balance unless they're very very patient and willing to accept loss.
12/21/2017 03:38 PMPosted by Smaktalk
So if you buy a few tokens and sell them on the A.H for gold, you can then use that gold to buy yourself a heroic or maybe even a mythic raid run. Get your toon geared and pick a mount on the side. Who says there is no pay to play?

Selling runs isn't sanctioned by Blizzard, but is allowed as long as the transaction remains purchased with in game gold.
Good! Maybe I will buy 1 or 2 of them to max out my heirlooms to 110 just like I did before when I wanted them to get all the maxed out at 100.
battle.net balance from wow tokens has to go, too many greedy people are buying dozens of tokens and ruining it for everyone. like bruh you don't need 5 legion wow accounts, hearthstone packs, and destiny.

if i have 70 million gold i need all of those tho
:^) :^) :^) :^)
I purchased one back during the Opening Ceremonies of Blizzcon, because I figured that the token price would jump up, and it did. It was at 208k when I bought the token.

Silly me, didn't realize that you had to list it 'right then' to get that price, and by the time I went to list it, the tokens were down to 160k.

I sat on it, till this morning, when I saw this thread. I realize they peaked and dropped while I was asleep, but I was still able to list my token...that I had been holding on to since Blizzcon, to list it at 208k.

:)
there is a point at which players will just buy one token and break the games economy mechanics.

The gold is just trading hands. It already existed.