The removal of PvP servers in the next xpac

General Discussion
1 2 3 24 Next
I am truly disappointed that Blizzard has decided to remove PvP servers from the next xpac: Battle of Azeroth. I know they aren't wording it as such, but if you look at the facts that is what is happening.

The servers are being merged so that if you want to PvP with other players, you can enter a major city, "flag" and then continue exploring zones ready for PvP action. However, when you are tired of doing this you can just as well "un-flag" and re-enter those same zones in perfect safety. In a true PvP server, you can never "un-flag" and enter a contested, or hostile zone. Having the ability to "un-flag" is already available to any players on a PvE server. So please, speak plainly and honestly when telling the player base what changes you are making.

As well, this post is not about the benefits, or detriments of either type of server(s) ie. PvE, or PvP. If you're not a fan of PvP servers, then you shouldn't create a character on one in the first place.

I will add: if Blizzard reveals the numbers to show that the majority of players are not interested in PvP servers anymore, then fair enough. Maybe my way of playing is going the way of the dinosaurs and you can let me die in peace.

Peace.
I wanted to add; I do not play on the PTR, so my source of information is the following PC Gamer article.

http://www.pcgamer.com/what-to-expect-from-world-of-warcraft-in-2018/

For clarification of the differences between servers. Here are the main differences between server types:

• PvP Server - players can never (officially) un-flag in contested, or enemy zones.
  • PvE/ normal Server - players can flag and un-flag at will, by right clicking their portrait.
  • BoA Server - players can flag and un-flag by right clicking their portrait only in a major city.
  • 01/06/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Gargantastic
    In a true PvP server, you can never "un-flag"

Sure you can, it's called server hoping and people do it all the time.
    They're not getting rid of pvp servers. They're just making server transfers between pve and pvp servers free and instant as long as you are in a major city.
    01/06/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Farora
    They're not getting rid of pvp servers.

They are though.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/PvP_realm

The main difference between a PvP realm and a PvE realm is that in a PvP realm entering any contested or enemy territory automatically flags you for PvP combat and you cannot unflag yourself while in these zones.
    01/06/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Farora
    They're not getting rid of pvp servers.

They are though.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/PvP_realm

[quote]The main difference between a PvP realm and a PvE realm is that in a PvP realm entering any contested or enemy territory automatically flags you for PvP combat and you cannot unflag yourself while in these zones.

Go to major city.

Flag yourself.

Bam pvp server!
    OP you are an idiot, EVERY SERVER is a PVP server in a way. Go to capitol city, and toggle PVP, You are now playing PVP!!!

How shocking. And that can be done on ANY SERVER.

The changes only affect little puke grievfers who won't be able to gank people and camp summon stones. So you must be one of them.
    Im overjoyed with the change.
    right now on a PvE server I can toggle for PvP all day long and no one bothers.
    I went into iron forge and mopped the floor with most of the NPCs and the players just ignored me. Literally. Ignored me. like kept doing their banking and AHing.

I like this change because when it takes effect, now that Im higher level and can actually PvP effectively, I will definitely PvP on and off from time to time, and maybe even more.

Where Im at I cant really PvP because being on a PvE server, no one WANTS to PvP which is why they are on the PvE server to begin with.
    Sorry, but no more griefing for you. You'll have to fight people who are looking for WPvP, rather than lowbies, the undergeared and the uninterested.
    There are too many servers, remove PVE, PVP servers just crunch the list. Too many dead servers.
    I really can't understand the mentality of someone either creating their character on a server (type) that they do not like PvP, or playing on the other server (type) PvE and still wanting to control the way that I play.

What does it matter to you how I play, or on which server? Live and let live I say.
    01/06/2018 08:05 AMPosted by Rosscko
    OP you are an idiot, EVERY SERVER is a PVP server in a way. Go to capitol city, and toggle PVP, You are now playing PVP!!!

How shocking. And that can be done on ANY SERVER.

The changes only affect little puke grievfers who won't be able to gank people and camp summon stones. So you must be one of them.

why does everyone think you have to be in a capital to do this.

The command is /pvp it can be done anywhere at any time, it will flag or unflag you the unflag just requires waiting out a timer without fighting.
    01/06/2018 08:14 AMPosted by Isilarya
    why does everyone think you have to be in a capital to do this.

The command is /pvp it can be done anywhere at any time, it will flag or unflag you the unflag just requires waiting out a timer without fighting.

Requiring being in a rested state (ie. an inn or a capitol) to change the flag is part of the change to the pvp system. They remove the pvp ruleset, but make it harder to unflag.
    I really can't understand the mentality of someone either creating their character on a server (type) that they do not like PvP.

i can help you understand that

i rolled here 10 years ago and leveled a bunch of characters. i quit for a while and when i came back i realized i dont like pvp servers any more

it would cost hundreds to transfer, im not cool with spending that on any game
    i actually dont get these complaints. if you want a pvp server then flag for pvp and never turn it off.

bam pvp server

also understand that we can realm hop now anyway, they are just getting rid of the inconvenience
    This change does not affect PvP players who want to PvP, they can still set their flag and play in a world with other players who feel the same way. This only affects cowards who want to gank lowbies and get easy kills.
    01/06/2018 08:11 AMPosted by Gargantastic
    I really can't understand the mentality of someone either creating their character on a server (type) that they do not like PvP, or playing on the other server (type) PvE and still wanting to control the way that I play.

What does it matter to you how I play, or on which server? Live and let live I say.

What happened is that for the first couple expansions, high end pvp and pve were somewhat linked. Doing one gave you an advantage (either gear or mats) in the other. This lead to thriving raider communities on the largest pvp realms, and robust economies. New players were then drawn to those pvp realms due to their friends being there, or for raiding opportunities. Or sometimes just because stuff is so much more reasonably priced on those realms. Now, their rosters are full, and it costs too much to move just one player, much less a whole guild, to a pve realm. So, instead, the two factions basically just avoid each other out in the world, rather than risk wasting time fighting each other.

Meanwhile, on pve realms, there's those who filled out their rosters there, and now are interested in wpvp. This leads to rare, but active, skirmishes, and a lot of griefing of quest givers. It's too expensive for them to move to pvp realms, and the value just isn't there if they do. They'd have to give up their guilds, likely filled with their family and friends, and would be walking into a culture of avoidance, rather than a haven for wpvp.

This all leads us to why Blizzard is making this change. Those interested in wpvp are few and scattered throughout all the realms. Mostly pve realms, oddly enough. This makes it hard to create any compelling wpvp content, as it's hard for any one realm to have enough participation to warrant it. With the new cross-realm pvp shards, they can pull all the interested parties together, and let them have at it. Without it, they'd remain isolated in their random corners of the game. This is a change to increase wpvp engagement, not restrict it. It allows them to consider creating wpvp content again.
    01/06/2018 08:11 AMPosted by Gargantastic

interesting contradictory post.
    01/06/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Bizzel
    i actually dont get these complaints. if you want a pvp server then flag for pvp and never turn it off.

bam pvp server

also understand that we can realm hop now anyway, they are just getting rid of the inconvenience

Let me help you understand. I like the feeling of danger, being a lowbie toon entering a higher level area. And if I could turn this off, that feeling is no longer there.