Not all bosses in vanilla required tank swap?

Classic Discussion
From my experiance doing the Timewalking Black Temple Raid, some of the bosses did not requred me to constantly tank swap aggro with my tank partner. (The 4 Elven Bosses you fight before Illidan as the example)

Is it true that not every boss in Vanilla and TBC requried Tank Swaping aggro because of a stacking mechanic and such?

Because from my experiance with modern WOW as of late, practically all the bosses requires me to tank swap with my partner because of a boss mechanic, mostly a stacking debuff that increases damage I take.
No, some bosses were a basic tank and spank, some had wacky mechanics like Garr... but they were not anywhere near 'easy' and before the peanut gallery rolls into this thread and tells us all we had 1 or 2 abilities in our rotation, we had far more than that even just as Hunters.

Tank mechanics were varied and fun just like they are throughout WoW's history.
the first tank swap I can think of is in bwl. then again on first boss in aq 20
Tanking mechanics were way different in vanilla. For starters, the amount of tanks needed for a boss varied between 1 and 5 (not counting the retarded horsemen that required 8) compared to just 2 for everything. That basically meant you would have 2 to 3 tank spec warriors with the rest being dps spec that put on tank gear when needed due to respecing being expensive if you did it regularly and you could only do it by visiting your trainer. Though to answer your question, only a few bosses have tank swap mechanics since the majority is to have your MT tank the boss and the OTs tank adds or build secondary threat on the boss.
That is correct that NOT ALL bosses required a tank swap, but the bosses that REQUIRE taunt/threat swap are MC (Major domo himself), BWL (ALL bosses), AQ40 (ALL except twins and cthun), NAXX (Raz, Gluth, 4H, KT sorta). ZG (tiger, panther, hakkar, Ghazranka) AQ20 (1st, 2nd, and i think last boss).
Swapping was also considerably more tricky than now, you couldn't just hit taunt and be done with it, both tanks had to sit very close to each other in threat.
01/16/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Somafera
Swapping was also considerably more tricky than now, you couldn't just hit taunt and be done with it, both tanks had to sit very close to each other in threat.

To elaborate on this, you watched the threat meter on only a handful of fights. There were several that had threat dump mechanics, where the #1 threat slot just dropped. (Hakkar comes to mind as a sort of example with the mind control mechanic.)

You also have to remember that Warriors generated crazy amounts of threat with very little damage, unlike live. Before DKs, threat was based off talents and being a tank in general. There was a skill to generating threat and not just slapping keys, same with mitigating damage. The advent of "active tanking ruined the flavor of each tank class, since Blizzard couldn't be bothered to actually balance anything past Cata.
Oh yeah, every single dragon boss used wing buffet, which dropped the current tank's threat on them.
You will be amazed at how much threat matters in Classic, and how differently it works when compared to retail's threat.
Is there a good guide to tank threat in vanilla? I want learn as much as possible before vanilla. I'd like to be a raid tank.
01/16/2018 11:11 AMPosted by Cheater
Is there a good guide to tank threat in vanilla? I want learn as much as possible before vanilla. I'd like to be a raid tank.

I might get in trouble for saying this, but I'd look on the Elysium or Light's Hope forums in the Warrior section. Those guys really know their stuff.

To sum up threat in vanilla consider the following. Imagine there is a permanent skittish on everything in the game. To add on to that, all of your abilities that hit multiple targets are gone (the closest you have is Battle/Demo shout spamming). The main way to tank 5 mans is to mark a skull for them to kill first that you focus more threat on and tab target to keep the others off the healer. Raid tanking is simply about positioning and rage management as the vast majority of the time you will be only tanking one target. Also with limited threat, dps or healers that start too early will pull aggro and it will be an uphill battle for you at that point. You might get dps that blame you in 5 mans, but in a raid the raid leader will let them have it (if the raid lead isn't bad).
Most fights throughout Vanilla and TBC that had multiple tanks didn't just "Taunt swap at 3 stacks" or some arbitrary mechanic that specifically forced two tanks. They actually had mechanics that required multiple jobs to be filled. Some fights had minimum numbers, and some fights you could be flexible on based upon raid composition and skill.

Hydross is a great example of a fight with a variable number of tanks. Some guilds used 4, we used two Warriors for Hydross + first kill target, and a Paladin for the other 3. Most guilds used two tanks plus a Warlock on Leotheras, we used a Warrior and a Paladin. Maexxna was possible with one, but most guilds used two, sometimes three for backup - we used 3.
01/16/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Argronak
From my experiance doing the Timewalking Black Temple Raid, some of the bosses did not requred me to constantly tank swap aggro with my tank partner. (The 4 Elven Bosses you fight before Illidan as the example)

Is it true that not every boss in Vanilla and TBC requried Tank Swaping aggro because of a stacking mechanic and such?

Because from my experiance with modern WOW as of late, practically all the bosses requires me to tank swap with my partner because of a boss mechanic, mostly a stacking debuff that increases damage I take.

Doing these both in Vanilla / TBC and then again in Legion I can tell you that 100% things are 10000X easier now in Legion because our characters are 10000X stronger than the vanilla namesakes.

No, its not because we got better; I would argue I have gotten worse over the years not better. As you age your reaction times fade quite a bit, I fully admit and understand the concept.

Make no mistake, what ever class you're playing is merely named after the original, there are minimal similarities but that's about the extent of it.

Also, some of the mechanics of bosses in Vanilla / TBC raids have been augmented to meet modern day players desire to "solo" said raids on their mains.

A prime example of this is Razorgore, no longer the fight it once was even if things kinda look the same.