Please Keep Mage Tower Post-Legion

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Title. It's been brought up before, but honestly, this is one of two things that I feel should consistently be discussed.

It makes sense to lock the Mythic+15 skin to legion content. Because after Legion, presumably M+ Keystones for Legion will simply stop dropping.

However, with the Mage Tower, therein presents a unique opportunity for Blizzard - Allow the Mage Tower to scale you to a specific ilvl. Make it scale to a lower number like 900/910, where every challenge has been completed by at least one person.

Leave TWO things for people who completed the Mage Tower in Legion -

1. They were able to defeat it at ilvl930, 940, etc. if they so chose.
2. Give them the Broken Shore Flying Disc as a mount. (the one people used to fly around before flying was unlocked)

There's no reason to remove a challenge from the game, especially since it rewards weapons that are meant to be the emodiment of their class/spec. Hunters get nature inspired weapons, druids become one with the bear and become a bear-human hybrid, etc.

Please reconsider this before Legion ends. Just add a level scaling tech to the Mage Tower rather than remove it.

EDIT: And yes, I'm well aware I have "plenty of time" until Battle for Azeroth, but I just don't like to feel rushed, and like it or not, expecting me to gear up all 12 classes for the mage tower, get enough nethershards on all 12, and complete 36 different quests before BfA does nothing but rush.
Nah I think it's fine as is.
Nah, if I can't get MOP/WOD challenge skins, the Mage Tower needs to leave as well. Only fair.
Disagree. They can always make a new Mage Tower-esque scenario in BfA, but this one should stay specific to Legion. Not just because the skins and storyline and unlocking are all tied to Legion Artifact weapons, either, but that's enough of a good reason, too.
Some things need to remain prestigious like these challenge appearances.
Can we stop removing all forms of prestige from PvE?

We need more, not less.

Keep it as it is, the compromise where if you obtain the base mage tower skin now, you can farm the different colours later, is MORE than enough.
Just going to throw in my usual comment that the cat and bear skins should still be obtainable after Legion. Blizzard had stated they have no plans to introduce more form skins in the future, it’s unfair to future Druid players to lock away one of only 6 alternate form models.

New and better-looking weapons will come out all the time for other classes. Druids will only have these for the foreseeable future. They should all remain accessible.

And yes, I have unlocked both of them myself if you’re wondering.
Such things have been available during just about every expansion. I remember the gorgeous Pandaren Phoenix mounts - you had a whole expansion to get them but when WoD was released, they became unavailable.

It's the way of this game. I might look at those lovely mounts a little enviously but I had the opportunity back then and I didn't manage it. Certain things are a matter of prestige, of having done the 'hard yards' to earn them at a time when it was really was difficult. It's not so much a matter of having something special to brag about as it is to recognise that you earned it a time when it was challenging, and it carries that weight of memory that having the things around later would dilute.
No reason why anyone shouldn't be able to do challenge content if they want to. Challenge content should scale with item level just like the Proving Grounds does. There is absolutely no reason to remove the Mage Tower other than to make some players feel like they're good for outgearing it when it was relevant.
01/11/2018 11:46 PMPosted by Lestara
Just going to throw in my usual comment that the cat and bear skins should still be obtainable after Legion. Blizzard had stated they have no plans to introduce more form skins in the future, it’s unfair to future Druid players to lock away one of only 6 alternate form models.

New and better-looking weapons will come out all the time for other classes. Druids will only have these for the foreseeable future. They should all remain accessible.

Figures the one bit of customization we get for druid forms and Blizzard is down for removing it.
Like with challenge modes i'd like them to keep them just because I enjoy doing them. Also just like challenge modes i'll get all of the skins I want well before BFA hits.

The druid skins were one of the main reasons I made this thread.

They're essentially saying "If you didn't play your druid during legion, sorry, you aren't getting the embodiment of guardian or feral druid. You just lost 2 of the very limited forms you could possibly get as druid"
01/12/2018 12:07 AMPosted by Maizou

The druid skins were one of the main reasons I made this thread.

They're essentially saying "If you didn't play your druid during legion, sorry, you aren't getting the embodiment of guardian or feral druid. You just lost 2 of the very limited forms you could possibly get as druid"

Play the game, beat the challenge, get the appearance.
01/11/2018 11:42 PMPosted by Cleavelord
Some things need to remain prestigious like these challenge appearances.
It was prestigious.

That 'status' is long gone when people can just complete a challenge by brute forcing it with item levels.

Does it make any difference if a guy cheese it with item level 950+ under 5 minutes, or with item level 2000+ under 1 minute? Or we wanna argue that 5 minute is still a challenge, but 1 minute is 'too easy'?

How about this: Let's just give Mage Tower Scenario the PvP treatment - stat templates, fixed skills, even pre-set gear if it needs be.

That would have been an actual challenge, right? Instead having luck out on Leggo's that cheese the entire fight mechanics.
01/11/2018 11:51 PMPosted by Terrance
No reason why anyone shouldn't be able to do challenge content if they want to. Challenge content should scale with item level just like the Proving Grounds does. There is absolutely no reason to remove the Mage Tower other than to make some players feel like they're good for outgearing it when it was relevant.

Using proving grounds as an example is not smart. Due to class changes and artifact weapons they are much, much easier right now than they were in MoP and WoD.
I am ok with leaving it in the game as long as they level cap it at 110 with the no item being higher than 1000 equipped, like how they still have herald of the titans.
01/11/2018 11:51 PMPosted by Terrance

False. There's a lot of reasons people shouldn't be able to do them after Legion.

Scaling tech doesn't address the rather serious problem that the challenges are designed around the premise that classes have specific tools at their disposal to address the threats the scenario presents.

Perhaps you haven't really thought about it, but only specs with a strong hard CC can actually defeat Sigryn, for example. If Blizzard decided in BfA that paladins had too much utility and decided to take away Repentance, it would quite suddenly become impossible for ret paladins to complete the scenario as they'd die to Blood of the Father.

Also, they may add abilities in the future that could trivialize certain challenges, like adding some kind of automatic silence mechanic to Obliterate for a frost dk (thereby ripping Xylem to shreds) or increasing the power of the slow effect of Concussive Shot (MM hunter) which would trivialize the Twins quite a bit.

There is also the neverending issue if power creep, where a player at a level/lower item level is actually stronger now due to overall changes in the meta than they would have been when the content was current. In Vanilla, you needed 40 people to clear Molten Core. In Legion, at level 60, you can do it in 10. The fact that players are, overall, better at the game is only part of why that's the case.

They cannot, practically, rebalance the scenarios every expansion to take into account changes in class and spec toolkits and it's bad form to expect them to tie their hands in what they can change about each class in the future to continue supporting these on a legacy basis.

As a result, having to get them during Legion is simply the best option if they want to maintain the integrity of the challenges being a "Legion sorta difficult solo PvE" reward. And tbh, they're not really even that difficult now. There's several I've learned where I only have a passing understanding of the spec in question.
01/11/2018 11:45 PMPosted by Berronax
Can we stop removing all forms of prestige from PvE?

We need more, not less.

Keep it as it is, the compromise where if you obtain the base mage tower skin now, you can farm the different colours later, is MORE than enough.

^ Wish I could upvote more than once...
The challenge tower is that not that hard now. It's more about gearing up for it then any actual challenge. Making alts go through all that plus hoping they get the right legendaries.. it just seems like too much because people have so much ego in beating it.