Acquiring Allied Races

General Discussion
Afternoon all! I am sort of confused about something regarding allied races, and have had difficulty finding any discussions specifically about it in other forums/posts.

I see a lot of talk about allied races potentially having pre-expac/pre-order availability, but only ever in regards to void elf/ lightforged/ highmountain/ nightborne.

What I am confused about is this: If this will be the case, but say Zandalari won't be available for play because they are gated behind BfA content, will I have to level a character I have no intention of playing just to unlock Zandalari and redo it all over again? If this is the case, I am surprised that I don't see more people upset about this.

Any clarification or opinions would be appreciated! :)
01/22/2018 10:55 AMPosted by Watergoon
If this will be the case, but say Zandalari won't be available for play because they are gated behind BfA content, will I have to level a character I have no intention of playing just to unlock Zandalari and redo it all over again?

The requirements to unlock Allied Races are account-wide; thus, you only need to complete the requirements on one character, regardless of faction. The only exception is Dark Iron Dwarves and Zandalari Trolls, each race will require the player to level on both Alliance (through Kul Tiras) and Horde (through Zandalar.) Once you unlock them, they're yours to play to your heart's content for the rest of forever. :)
Is this confirmed? Cause I will quit levelling that damn alliance right now.
01/22/2018 10:59 AMPosted by Zylla

The only reason to level an Alliance character through Kul Tiras (unless it's your main faction) is to unlock the Dark Iron Dwarves and learn one side of the story. Playing only Horde, you will not be able to unlock the Dark Iron Dwarves.
So yes, I will have to level through Zandalar on a character that I have no intention of playing JUST to unlock the Zandalari race, level up, and go through the SAME BfA content again? Seems like it would ruin the leveling experience a bit. I don't really understand this.
As a note, details concerning how to acquire specific Allied Races are yet to be finalized, and things you may be seeing are, of course, subject to change. We will be sharing more information on the exact processes in the future.
01/22/2018 10:55 AMPosted by Watergoon
What I am confused about is this: If this will be the case, but say Zandalari won't be available for play because they are gated behind BfA content, will I have to level a character I have no intention of playing just to unlock Zandalari and redo it all over again? If this is the case, I am surprised that I don't see more people upset about this.

Hard to say what the requirements will be, but if they're like the previous 4, you will only need to level up an alt if you want the Heritage armor, else, you have to pay for a Race Change to put on one of your characters.

What might happen is that you will have to play in BfA with another character before you can unlock Zandalari and Dark Iron, which means you can't do it with your first and only main character. Which is the whole problem with Allied Races: forcing gameplay in characters a person might not be interested only to allow them to Race Change or create the one they want.
01/22/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Ornyx
As a note, details concerning how to acquire specific Allied Races are yet to be finalized, and things you may be seeing are, of course, subject to change. We will be sharing more information on the exact processes in the future.

Appreciate the rapid response! :)
01/22/2018 10:59 AMPosted by Zylla

Nothing is confirmed until the ability to earn access to the Allied Race is live or until Blizzard releases an official blog post with the information. Blizzard has changed stuff at the last minute in the past.

With Zandalari and Dark Iron definitely not being available until expansion release, plenty can change before then.

edit: Ha ha, Ornyx beat me by a minute.
01/22/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Watergoon
So yes, I will have to level through Zandalar on a character that I have no intention of playing JUST to unlock the Zandalari race, level up, and go through the SAME BfA content again? Seems like it would ruin the leveling experience a bit. I don't really understand this.

It makes sense. It's no different than playing through Highmountain and earning exalted with the Tribe located there to earn the Highmountain Tauren race. (This particular race can be done on either character, yes.)

You play through all three zones on Zandalar, unlocking the Loremaster of the new continent, and that will earn you the Zandalari Trolls. By no means is it required for you to unlock them.
Cool to come back for BFA,
Only to grind argus reps
TY VM Bliz u r the best.

They are on the ball today ;D

There is some datamined info which you can find on wowhead.com but it can change... To be frank i have only seen info on the 4 races that will be available day 1 of BfA. The two others which come later there hasnt been any info on at least that I have seen, again it would be datamined and not final.

I would hope it would require 1 character to unlock account wide like others currently being datamined, but again as has been said nothing is final and things can change a week from now.
[quote="207594990331"]You play through all three zones on Zandalar, unlocking the Loremaster of the new continent, and that will earn you the Zandalari Trolls. By no means is it required for you to unlock them.

I'm confused by this, unlocking loremaster will allow me to earn them, but isn't required to unlock them? Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems contradictory.

So essentially nothing is finalized and blizzard is open to community input...glad to hear it! :)
The hidden achievements for unlocking the first 4 Allied Races are on live right now. (Wowhead even has an attunement tracker for them)

Nightborne, Highmountain Tauren, Lightforged and Void Elves are all good to go whenever Blizz says so.

We have no clue how the Zandalari and Dark Irons work though or how they are even unlocked. Nothing has been announced except that you unlock them on the new continents as seen on the official website.
God, I really hope this is true. Because some of the requirements are real headscratchers.
01/22/2018 11:12 AMPosted by Danaara
God, I really hope this is true. Because some of the requirements are real headscratchers.

He’s probably referring to Dark Irons and Zandari and/or playing dumb before they’re officially announced.

We knew about the rep requirements for the first 4 back at Blizzcon from interviews which are now confirmed on PTR and live 7.3.5 as well.

And they even added more rep gains for the Argus reps clearly to help people get exalted.
01/22/2018 11:12 AMPosted by Danaara

Which ones?
01/22/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Ningjiing
The hidden achievements for unlocking the first 4 Allied Races are on live right now. (Wowhead even has an attunement tracker for them)

Nightborne, Highmountain Tauren, Lightforged and Void Elves are all good to go whenever Blizz says so.

We have no clue how the Zandalari and Dark Irons work though or how they are even unlocked. Nothing has been announced except that you unlock them on the new continents as seen on the official website.

Only thing i have left is Army of the light to unlock, and obviously BfA purchase, unless they change things which i hope they dont. Im not looking for another grind for Argus Rep.
01/22/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Watergoon
[quote]
You play through all three zones on Zandalar, unlocking the Loremaster of the new continent, and that will earn you the Zandalari Trolls. By no means is it required for you to unlock them.

I'm confused by this, unlocking loremaster will allow me to earn them, but isn't required to unlock them? Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems contradictory

I think that comment was a sort of "nobody is forcing you to do it and you don't need to play the content".