If Classic is popular, will it affect retail?

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 9 Next
Classic is a niche audience, the mass gaming public doesn't like this kind of game. Anyone thinking Classic is going to have anywhere near the numbers of retail is in for a rude awakening when classic launches.
01/22/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Savax
Will Blizzard bring a lot of Classic elements/gameplay back into Retail WoW if it turns out to be a huge hit?

I doubt it. GenDisc is crying their eyes out over the new patch with having to hit monsters more than 3 times while leveling alts. Retail and Classic are far too different from each other to try blending the two.
It'll be popular among the niche target audience.

So, no.
01/22/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Starman
Classic won't hold as many people. Once you get to 60, what are you going to do? Raid MC? Deal with ridiculous raid times, DKP, and all the stress involved? Maybe people will PvP or something, but not sure if the same will keep people once they hit 60.

I agree with this. I don't know if I'll even make it to level 60 with knowing that glass ceiling is above me the entire time...kind of kills the magic.

I'll probably do it just for fun, chip away it during content lulls on live, seeing that I don't raid on live either.
you will have a large percentage of warcraft fans playing both retail and classic imo,this is what i will be doing.
01/22/2018 11:24 AMPosted by Savax
01/22/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Xanthak
I can almost guarantee you Classic will come nowhere to the numbers retail pulls in. Different times. Different expectations. Different audience.

I disagree. The only question is if Classic can hold the huge number of returning players after 3-6 months.

its going to hold enough for it to be a success.
It will affect retail in two ways: Potential retail player drop, I know I'll either quit Retail for Classic or do both. It won't make Blizzard change retail since it has it's fan base at this point, I've already dealt with enough complaining just with 7.3.5 lol
Classic is too different of a game to really impact retail. You'll have people go from retail to Classic, but you'll just as easily have people coming back for Classic checking out retail.

If it's successful, re-releasing TBC is a more likely factor.
Retail is to far gone to go back to being a mmorpg, if anything, it'll either inspire TBC server, or updates (expansions) to vanilla (that maintain the base game (no level cap increase, just new instances/raids essentially))
01/22/2018 04:43 PMPosted by Thepyroamos
Retail is to far gone to go back to being a mmorpg, if anything, it'll either inspire TBC server, or updates (expansions) to vanilla (that maintain the base game (no level cap increase, just new instances/raids essentially))

This is why I do not get the NO change crowd. I hope that classic is a success, but for it to remain a success, updates need to be made or a way for progression to not stale out needs to be there.
01/22/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Starman
Classic won't hold as many people. Once you get to 60, what are you going to do? Raid MC? Deal with ridiculous raid times, DKP, and all the stress involved? Maybe people will PvP or something, but not sure if the same will keep people once they hit 60.

Stress? Only stressful for the overly sensitive lolol.
What I think is most likely to happen is a crap ton of people are going to try out Classic and most are going to leave. We will be left with a sizable, yet smaller than Retail, player base that plays all the way through 60 and through all the content.

Then after a couple years after its release when everyone has gotten through the content and realizes just how much more fun their journey through it all was, especially when compared to the mindless retail version, there will be loud demands for either a TBC server (since it was also awesome for the most part) or a brand new expansion done completely in the vanilla image.
01/22/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Slimm
you will have a large percentage of warcraft fans playing both retail and classic imo,this is what i will be doing.

You know, i can't believe i didn't think of this sooner. If i remember right sub numbers always spike right? Classic gives current retail subscribers who would have unsubbed for a little while a reason to their subscription alive during those "dead" times.

If the above poster is indeed what will happen with a significant portion of the player base then, the Classic servers should be healthy for a significant a mount of time.
Lolollolol

The recent leveling changes and other things...

Done to make retail look like not that much of a puss when classic is released? I speculate... Blizz (soon™)

Classic will definitely have an effect on retail, and probably for years to come across all demographics. I can see a time when possibly if Blizz handles it right, maybe even the die hard defend the kingdom. Don't forget what built your wow today...

Constant warfare between the Horde and the pathetic alliance ( thought we'd be kumbaya friends forever? nope..) Kingdoms set up by guilds and defended, subs coming back for the conflict. But again, it's how Blizz handles it.. I just hope we're not pounding sand in Silithus.
01/22/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Savax
Will Blizzard bring a lot of Classic elements/gameplay back into Retail WoW if it turns out to be a huge hit?

I think Blizzard is at a crossroads right now deciding what kind of game WoW should be, could Classic servers show them the way?

If,and I mean IF, Classic turns out to be a major hit and pulls in millions of subs, you might see a few more classical elements seep into retail, but it's unlikely you're going to see a complete reverse in direction or even half a turn back towards a classic philosophy in retail.
01/22/2018 01:38 PMPosted by Starman
If reserves happen in Classic, it's going to be a serious problem. And you KNOW that certain people in the WoW community like to push their agendas.

Sounds like you're describing yourself there with the agenda pushing.
01/22/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Starman
01/22/2018 11:26 AMPosted by Vanbracken
Have you played a classic server lately? It's a delicious experience.

You mean a server that has XP and itemization that's nothing like the real numbers, with people saying "Need X, Y is on reserve", no guarantee that it'll be running tomorrow, overcrowded servers?

That's delicious?

To be fair, I haven't been on a private server, but this is what people here have been saying about them. 11k on ONE SERVER? That has to be madness.

If you've never been on a private server, why are you pretending to know anything about them? There's only two servers that have ever had that kind of population, Nostraiius and Lights Hope (which stole it's user database from Elysium and then invited literally 3k or so chinese gold sellers to the server). The server I play on caps around 6k on weekends, is usually around 4k or so which is more in line with later official servers.

Most of the popular servers have 1x XP gains, meaning experience gains are the same as originally designed. Some "fun servers" have XP multipliers like x4 or x6 but they are not nearly as popular.

Itemization differences are an issue with some servers (Kronos, I'm looking at you) but the Nost/Ely core in common use now comes pretty darned close to being accurate. I will say that I've noticed higher drop rates on quest items though, which is bothersome but considering the staggering amount of data that needs to be recreated for private server databases, it's not a big thing.

As far as reserves go...did you actually play vanilla? Reserves were common as hell, especially in guild runs that just needed one or two pugs to flesh out a group. No guild in their right mind would pull in a pug for MC and then let him roll on a binding, for example. And even in 5 mans, the MT or MH would usually reserve important items, and in MANY cases, simply wouldn't allow anyone who might compete for that item into the group.
wait, reserves happened in Vanilla, not as much as nowadays, but they did happen.
01/22/2018 06:55 PMPosted by Taelus
01/22/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Starman

You mean a server that has XP and itemization that's nothing like the real numbers, with people saying "Need X, Y is on reserve", no guarantee that it'll be running tomorrow, overcrowded servers?

That's delicious?

To be fair, I haven't been on a private server, but this is what people here have been saying about them. 11k on ONE SERVER? That has to be madness.

If you've never been on a private server, why are you pretending to know anything about them? There's only two servers that have ever had that kind of population, Nostraiius and Lights Hope (which stole it's user database from Elysium and then invited literally 3k or so chinese gold sellers to the server). The server I play on caps around 6k on weekends, is usually around 4k or so which is more in line with later official servers.

Most of the popular servers have 1x XP gains, meaning experience gains are the same as originally designed. Some "fun servers" have XP multipliers like x4 or x6 but they are not nearly as popular.

Itemization differences are an issue with some servers (Kronos, I'm looking at you) but the Nost/Ely core in common use now comes pretty darned close to being accurate. I will say that I've noticed higher drop rates on quest items though, which is bothersome but considering the staggering amount of data that needs to be recreated for private server databases, it's not a big thing.

As far as reserves go...did you actually play vanilla? Reserves were common as hell, especially in guild runs that just needed one or two pugs to flesh out a group. No guild in their right mind would pull in a pug for MC and then let him roll on a binding, for example. And even in 5 mans, the MT or MH would usually reserve important items, and in MANY cases, simply wouldn't allow anyone who might compete for that item into the group.

Regarding reserves:

In Nostalrius it was common place to reserve in a true pug. It happened even on the lower levels. People were talking reserves while running shadowfang keep, i kid you not. I'm not talking about guild runs or "please run me through an instance oh mighty tank" as a reserve.

Yeah reserves happened in Vanilla, but they weren't the norm. Tank paying, while a little bit more common, still wasn't the norm.

Reserves are the lesser form of what self entitlement is currently in retail. And personally, I think goes against what the Vanilla experience was. Someone beat you out on a /roll ? Well, tough luck. Run the instance again, buddy.
Blizzard wont do classic right, so no, it wont